E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought the car to a guy I know to upgrade the front speakers and headunit with my JL 500/5 amp and a 12" Memphis sub but none of the speakers he has fits.

He said the speakers are so small and BMW didn't leave much room and the new speakers has to fit perfectly because of a seal.

So anyone with the HK system replace the front speakers and what did you use?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Here's what I did.

I bought some adapter rings from ebay and they allow most 6" or 6.5" drivers to fit in the doors. I used JBL splits for the doors so I could put the high drivers up in the top of the doors where the factory items lived.
Pic 1 shows the drivers on the rings in the door.
Pic 4 shows the rings.

The rears are a bit more difficult - the rings don't work here. I ended up glueing the speakers into the factory pods. This seals them through to the boot space.
Pic 2 shows a driver all gluey ready to put on the pod.
Pic 3 shows the pods ready to drop back in. The glue eventually sets clear and looks a bit better.

The sound is a clear improvement on OEM but I've heard these drivers sounding better. I've got a 4 x 150 RMS amplifier to try and get further improvement.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.