BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel like I'm breaking up with a girlfriend I'm still in love with...

My 2004 330i ZHP Sedan has got to go. The most reliable car I've ever owned, bar none. I'm moving back East and can't take it with me. I purchased it in 2007 with 13,000 miles, now it has just shy of 125,000 miles. I've put maybe 10,000 miles on it in the last 5 years.

The Good:
Premium Package (Power Passenger Seat!)
Winter Package (Folding Seats with Ski Bag!)
Sport Package (EVERYTHING!)
Original Clutch. Because #grandpastyle
Alcantara.

Modifications:
Black Powdercoated wheels. It was a pro job. 7-ish years later, and they're still shiny when clean.
Alpine head unit. A totally reversible mod, still have the original head unit in a box, wiring intact.
5-series auto dimming mirror with HomeLink buttons.
AMS strut mounts (aluminum and rubber) in the rear.
That's it. The rest (aside from wear items) is factory stock.

Service Highlights:
2020 - Driver's side window regulator replaced with OEM.
2019 - Re-wrapped A and C pillars with the original cloth and proper automotive spray adhesive. It could have gone better, but it isn't worse.
2019 - Front and Rear crank position sensors replaced, as it was getting reluctant to start.
2017 - Full suspension refresh, including OEM LCAs, a complete set of OEM rear bushings, and Bilstein Sport shocks / struts (still rides on stock springs).
Earlier - Full brake replacement (pads, rotors, and fluid flush) at 66,000 miles. Brakes haven't been touched since. *Correction: Brake fluid changed at 109K miles.
Earlier yet - Original Alcantara wheel replaced under warranty at 33,000 miles. That replacement is still on the car. Removed to clean it once.

The Bad:
It needs tires. The front tires have been on the car nearly 40K miles, the rears got scrubbed off between the suspension work and alignment back in 2017 so cheap replacements were sourced.
The paint is terrible. It has numerous chips all over and a scrape on the passenger side rocker. The clearcoat has removed itself from the plastic parts. (Thanks, California Sun!)
Airbag Light has been intermittent since the dealership replaced the airbags under warranty a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can get an appointment with them to take a look.
VANOS never serviced. Because I never did find a shop I trust to do the work.
The headlight reflectors are badly burnt, making the lights dim. A common problem, as you all know.

The Rest:
The windshield isn't original. It had been replaced before I got the car. I'm assuming this is the reason the rain sensing wipers have never worked properly.
I have the missing window trim on the passenger side in a box. Needs clips to reinstall.

I've priced it to sell at $4800. Lowball offers will be ignored. Currently located in San Jose, CA. Clean Michigan Title.

I don't know what else to say about the car. I'll certainly answer legitimate questions if you post them below. I'm sure there are things I have forgotten about both on the good and bad side. I'll be completely honest and transparent. Nothing would please me more than to sell this to someone who will enjoy driving it.

Here's the Google Photos link to a full album with many HiRes exterior images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PNNWwQg11GNXWGxt6

-Tom

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some updates as I have been speaking with potential buyers...

Power Steering fluid and brake fluid were both changed at 109K miles.
Valve Cover Gasket was done once early on under the original service contract then again around 90K by a reputable service shop in Michigan.
The expansion tank was replaced once along with the idler pulley and belt, I'll have to see if I can dig up a service record on that (you guys are really challenging me, I'm not good on record keeping!).
Not sure if the oil filter housing gasket was ever changed.
I was advised a couple of years ago that the seal on the rear diff was wet, but I haven't seen any additional leakage since.
The shifting has gotten a little notchy over the years, typical of a car with original clutch and throw out bearing.

The car has never been in an accident of any kind, part of the reason the paint is so old. I took it to one track day the same week that I bought it. I've had race cars and motorcycles before, so I knew that if I started modifying for the track I wouldn't stop. That's why the vehicle is so stock. It doesn't even have window tint.

Keep the questions coming, I'll keep trying to update with answers and photos!

-Tom

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm interested in it, if you could please text me at (858)465-0336. I'm in San Diego not too far from you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more random information:

Some number of years ago the power mirror adjustment switch went bad so I pulled the fuse to keep it from draining the battery. I ordered a switch but the wrong part came (different connector). I'll adjust the sale price down another $50 just because I feel stupid that wasn't taken care of.
The window washer pump works great, but the switch in the stalk doesn't send a signal. I was never brave enough to pull the cover off the column and investigate.

*** There has been a snag on my end, I'm going to put a pause on this thread for awhile to get it sorted out.

-Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts