E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real oem says my car doesn't have any of the vacuum air pump parts but they're on the car.
Photograph Font Motor vehicle Line Design

Here's a pic of the ports on the manifold:
Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior

The top port has a hose that runs directly to the vacuum air pump with no check valve installed.

I know 05 e46 don't have thr vacuum pump. Real oem says mine doesn't, I think. But the parts are on the car.

I need help finding what exactly the 2004 330ci has so I can get the correct parts.

If I have the air pump then do I need thr check valve or does 04 have straight hose from manifold to air pump? Also, is the vacuum line hooked up to correct port?

I have p0171, p0174, p0300, p0305, p0306.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
373 Posts
That's the vacuum canister for the exhaust flap.

Edit: hit save too fast. Let's try this again. Just run a vacuum line from the vacuum canister (where it's broken off at the tip - about 8 o'clock in your picture) to the port in the back of your intake manifold (your first picture). It is not a pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh it is broken at the bottom. I couldn't see by looking at it but it shows up in the pic. Would that cause my 171 and 174 codes?

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
97 Posts
Oh it is broken at the bottom. I couldn't see by looking at it but it shows up in the pic. Would that cause my 171 and 174 codes?
Yeah that'll be causing the codes. Just buy a 3.5mm cap, part num 11611437560 and plug that port on the intake. Delete the vacuum canister or leave it if you want. I hate that exhaust flap system, too many places to get a vacuum leak. Chances are your exhaust flap is either seized shut/open anyway or you just want it open 24/7.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's likely the vacuum line you're referring to in your first picture plugs into the vacuum canister (again, about 8 o'clock in your second picture). Since this vacuum line is connected to the intake manifold and it's now open to ambient, it's introducing an air leak into your intake therefore causing the engine to run lean. Given that this vacuum line has failed, it's likely that other vacuum lines have failed. My recommendation is for you to perform a smoke test to pinpoint all the locations where you may have air leakage. I would not be surprised that multiple air leaks are causing the lean codes that you're seeing.

It's up to you whether to delete the vacuum canister and thus disable the exhaust flap. If you decide to keep it, be aware that there is a vacuum line at the other end of the vacuum canister that runs to a connector on the firewall below and to the left of the brake booster.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So that seems to have been thr issue. I had caps on hand so I capped it off and cleared the codes. So far no codes. Short term fuel trim is hovering between 0 and +5. I'm hoping that's enough to keep lean codes away. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good to hear. Suggest you keep an eye on the long term fuel trim over time and see how that trends. Might not be a bad idea to do a smoke test so you know whether there are other leakages. Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
97 Posts
So that seems to have been thr issue. I had caps on hand so I capped it off and cleared the codes. So far no codes. Short term fuel trim is hovering between 0 and +5. I'm hoping that's enough to keep lean codes away. Thanks for the help.
Give your exhaust flap a quick look too, might be seized shut
Had to take out all my anger on it with a hammer and chisel before it budged ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear. Suggest you keep an eye on the long term fuel trim over time and see how that trends. Might not be a bad idea to do a smoke test so you know whether there are other leakages. Good luck.
I'm using torque and vpeak dongle. It doesn't show me anything for long term fuel trim. I'll just wait and see if teh codes come back. This hose was thr final hose in my hose replacement saga on this car. I did both intake boots, disa oring mod, both hoses on the f connector, and lastly the three caps for rear of manifold.

Next will ve ccv. Those plastic hoses look old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts