BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have found 2004 330CI manual Convertible with 72K miles. No accidents or damage on CarFax. Regular oil changes completed... Here are the things that have been done to it in terms of maintenance in last 23k miles:

Oxygen Sensor
Battery
Thermostat and Outlet
Radiator Reserve Tank
4 way alignment
Front Thrust Rod Bushings
Rear Brakes
Driver's Side Airbag (recall)
Passengers side Xenon Light
Driver's side fog lamp
Engine Drive Belts
Coolant hose w/ temperature sensor
Valve cover gaskets

Thoughts? Do you believe this would be a good buy? Seems to me most of the big ticket items have been taken care of in order to last another 30k or so....

Sincerely,
Elliot smith

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think its a good deal.. But check for leaks in the roof, check if there is an oil leak, OFHG leak always at this milage, suspension might be worn, check for brake ware.. these are the big things if they fail cost you some money soon..

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its a good deal.. But check for leaks in the roof, check if there is an oil leak, OFHG leak always at this milage, suspension might be worn, check for brake ware.. these are the big things if they fail cost you some money soon..

Appreciate the help. No roof leaks-can’t seem to see/find any oil leaks but that was just a brief visual inspection.

I know the front brakes need to be replaced.

It drives so well, it’s tough to worry about future maintenance costs 😅

·
Registered
188 Posts
Appreciate the help. No roof leaks-can’t seem to see/find any oil leaks but that was just a brief visual inspection.

I know the front brakes need to be replaced.

It drives so well, it’s tough to worry about future maintenance costs
I did the same thing when I bought mine, it drove so well that i pulled the plug, then a few days later the suspension started leaking on close inspection all 4 were worn down. That's why my car was bottoming out, but the seller told me that it was stanced ...

A month later water pump blew up leaving me stranded in the cold till help arrived, next was the OFHG which started leaking so much that I had to fill 1/4 liter oil every week.
Replaced the cooling system 2 months ago.

Now a year gone and around 2k in maintenance and repair I'm trouble free, until the next issue pops up.

What I'm saying is check under the car, you'll thank yourself later. If you have deep pockets then go ahead.. buy use the buyers guide on the forum anyway..

There are also a lot of e46 buyers Video on YouTube cos reading is not a thing anymore with the new generation, no offence to you buddy. Just my 2 cents ( more like 2$ with such a long post )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the same thing when I bought mine, it drove so well that i pulled the plug, then a few days later the suspension started leaking on close inspection all 4 were worn down. That's why my car was bottoming out, but the seller told me that it was stanced ...

A month later water pump blew up leaving me stranded in the cold till help arrived, next was the OFHG which started leaking so much that I had to fill 1/4 liter oil every week.
Replaced the cooling system 2 months ago.

Now a year gone and around 2k in maintenance and repair I'm trouble free, until the next issue pops up.

What I'm saying is check under the car, you'll thank yourself later. If you have deep pockets then go ahead.. buy use the buyers guide on the forum anyway..

There are also a lot of e46 buyers Video on YouTube cos reading is not a thing anymore with the new generation, no offence to you buddy. Just my 2 cents ( more like 2$ with such a long post )

I really appreciate the insight. I’ve heard a few too many stories similar to yours on forums and YouTube...

What was the mileage of yours when you bought it?

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 740K km
563 Posts
General rule for buying used car - you have to be prepared for investment. But as e46 convertible isn't just a car to commute, it is pretty much life style changing, the pleasure of having one is worth all spendings. And buying one is based more on emotional impulse , rather than cold calculation. So if you feel good about car go for it. But to avoid expensive repairings proper technical inspection is necessary. And of course e46 byer guide and extensive reading on main treads will help a lot.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I really appreciate the insight. I’ve heard a few too many stories similar to yours on forums and YouTube...

What was the mileage of yours when you bought it?
Mine was around 75k miles, 122000km to be exact..

But like AnticDubai said, it was a lifestyle choice for me, my family car is a wagon and the vert is my fun car

·
Registered
2005 ZHP Convertible 6MT
147 Posts
spend the money and get a pre-purchase inspection at an independent BMW shop. Money well spent just for the peace of mind. And if they find something else, could help in price negotiation

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Don't let scare stories scare you.
All used cars need maintenance, and it's not just mileage, but age.

Have $3k saved for possible repairs to sort out the new car.
Then allocate $2k a year for repairs to play it safe.
Some years, it will need no repairs.

Always pay more for a nicer car.
Do not buy a "cheap" car that is a turd.
Nicer car is always cheaper in the long run.

Posting questions on a forum shows you are resourceful.
Do you have interest in doing basic repairs and buying some tools? That also helps.

If possible, bring it to his BMW shop and get it inspected to save unseen surprised.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
suspension started leaking on close inspection all 4 were worn down.
That's why my car was bottoming out, but the seller told me that it was stanced ...
Huh? The only thing that leaks is the shocks.
And they have nothing to do with ride height, that's the springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Always pay more for a nicer car.
Do not buy a "cheap" car that is a turd.
Nicer car is always cheaper in the long run.

Posting questions on a forum shows you are resourceful.
Do you have interest in doing basic repairs and buying some tools? That also helps.

If possible, bring it to his BMW shop and get it inspected to save unseen surprised.
YES! I have always taken the approach with spending more up front for something in better shape then a “Deal” up front...

Would love to getting into doing my own work and investing in tools.

I am thinking of doing water pump right away as 100% preventative maintenance. Even before it throws a code... thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
General rule for buying used car - you have to be prepared for investment. But as e46 convertible isn't just a car to commute, it is pretty much life style changing, the pleasure of having one is worth all spendings. And buying one is based more on emotional impulse , rather than cold calculation. So if you feel good about car go for it. But to avoid expensive repairings proper technical inspection is necessary. And of course e46 byer guide and extensive reading on main treads will help a lot.

This is so accurate! Yes. Definitely a second car that would be emotional fun! Appreciate the response.

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
4,977 Posts
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have found 2004 330CI manual Convertible with 72K miles. No accidents or damage on CarFax. Regular oil changes completed... Here are the things that have been done to it in terms of maintenance in last 23k miles:

Oxygen Sensor
Battery
Thermostat and Outlet
Radiator Reserve Tank
4 way alignment
Front Thrust Rod Bushings
Rear Brakes
Driver's Side Airbag (recall)
Passengers side Xenon Light
Driver's side fog lamp
Engine Drive Belts
Coolant hose w/ temperature sensor
Valve cover gaskets

Thoughts? Do you believe this would be a good buy? Seems to me most of the big ticket items have been taken care of in order to last another 30k or so....

Sincerely,
Elliot smith
Pictures for sure. From that list looks like the current owner wasn't shy about maintenance so that's a good start. Pictures or a link and have the collective judge it. Option and color combos will also give us a better idea on that asking price.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

+ 1 on this. This is a great car, but it’s going to take a little $$ each year...so plan on it.

3 years ago, i bought my ‘05 330Ci vert 6-speed ZHP on eBay in Miami ( 1500 miles away) for $6750. I haven’t looked back...it was a great purchase.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
YES! I have always taken the approach with spending more up front for something in better shape then a “Deal” up front...

Would love to getting into doing my own work and investing in tools.

I am thinking of doing water pump right away as 100% preventative maintenance. Even before it throws a code... thoughts?
You're at the right place to learn DIY.

Set aside $1000 for a fairly complete tool set.
Most people lie about only using $5 worth of tools.
They lie.

At 70k, you don't need to touch the water pump until you want a project.
Drive the car for a few months and baseline it.
If you read too much internet, you will freak out, and replace the entire car.
Nuts.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Shocked seller would change the thermostat but not the water pump.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts