E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Recently took my propshaft out to replace the rather old flex disc and CSB. The rear CV joint on the propshaft was pretty stuck on the diff and after 3 hours of trying, it finally came loose, but had fallen apart. Ive tried every combination possible to put it back together but I seem to be unable to put any more than 3 balls in there without it locking up and becoming rigid.

Are there any secrets to this? I've tried changing to directions and positions of all the pieces in relation to one another but none seem to actually work. Build with or without grease and then give it grease after?

Help is sorely needed!

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,861 Posts
Its not a propshaft/driveshaft cv joint repacking/rebuilding video, but from approximately 16:00 to about 18:00 he does explain how things are oriented inside the joint. Are fat to skinny and skinny to fat surfaces lined up correctly between the outer and inner races?

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,388 Posts
Hopefully you can get it back together. It can be a real PITA.
I think half the trick is not only tilting, but also sliding the joint further up/down between the two halves in order to get the balls installed and rotating. (Still attached to the propshaft)

FWIW we usually use two gaskets at the back. Otherwise they usually leak (fling outwards) CV joint grease.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Little update for everyone...

It is possible to rebuild these CV joints. I read online somewhere that you 'can't do it at home', but clearly these statements are incorrect as I have managed to reconstruct the joint and stuck it back in the car with no issues.

It's a bit of an art but you've just got to keep working it until all the balls are in and moving freely - A little bit of grease did help with that.

My top tip would be to try not to touch or force the cage which holds the balls; I found that this caused it to lock up most times. I jammed a plastic handle (screwdriver) into the inner race so that I could get hold of it and keep working it around.

Onto the next problem now 😉

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.