E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm debating on whether to get a 2004 325CI w/ SMG or a used 2003 330CI w/ Step, both for around the same price. Which would be faster of the two? Which car should I get?

·
Protect Me From What I Want
1,220 Posts
first off, a 330ci is way better than a 325ci

secondly, Step is way better than the crappy SMG

unless the 330ci has got quite a bit mileage on it OR it's a stripper OR you hate the color/interior for a passion. then you should have no doubts to pick up the 330

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,389 Posts
Eh...straight line they should be about the same just cause u can launch the SSG system more easily and the shifts are significantly quicker...so I think they should be about the same...personally I would go with the 325ci because I liek the idea of a new car more than a used car...just cause u know u are the one who broke it in CORRECTLY and nothing bad has happened to the car...even tho the 330 may have only 5k miles or whatever...I just like the idea of a new car...clean slate, ready to go...

Also maq...I dunno where your getting the idea of a "crappy" SMG...it's actually SSG that will be in the 325ci and it is waaaay more advanced than the step tranny...I have the step tranny and would so much rather the SSG both because of it's performance and the variety in which u can use it...the SSG system allows you to easily maneuver in traffic and then go to the track and shift quickly, precisely, and most important consistantly. The system still shifts quicker than the average human over time...yes humans can shift quicker than SSG but u'd be hard pressed to find, barring professional race car drivers, a person that can consistantly shift as quickly and precisely as both the SSG and SMG system...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the comments so far. Here's what I'm looking at:

2004 325Ci w/ SMG, Xenons, Sports Package for $31000-$32000 doing Euro Delivery.

2002 (not 2003 sorry) 330Ci with 11,690 miles, Step, Sports Package, Premium Package, Moonroof for $32325 (I can probably get it down a little lower). It's BMW certified.

Are these prices reasonable or should I keep looking?

And speedwise, these are pretty similar? Has anyone with 04 SMG/SSG actually raced a 330CI yet?

·
P.I.M.P.
2,459 Posts
Pretty good deal on the 02'. It trades in for like 28-29, so they are only marking up 3k. If you get them lower, the better.

·
Protect Me From What I Want
1,220 Posts
the 02 330ci sounds like a fairly good deal.

and yes there's a big different between 325 and 330 performance wise. trust me SMG is no good. i haven't read one good review about it. i was in german this august and took a 3-hour journey in my friend's 330i SMG. it was such a headache to keep the ride smooth with the SMG, my grandma could have shifted quicker than it did

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,389 Posts
Black330ci said:
smg on a non e46 m3 is nothing special ...its really just a step

I dunno bout that...the SSG system shifts ALOT quicker than the step tranny and is so much more versatile...u can use this thing on the track very easily and it will not automatically upshift at the redline...it's truely a lot different than the step IMHO...

·
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad
932 Posts
Quit arguing about the transmission, no way any tranny is gonna make up for40+ horses. 330 all the way. Rumor is the SMG on non-Ms is a cheap version of whats on the M anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts