E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. Im a new user to the boards and was hoping to get some advice from you about some issues Im having with my 2004 325ci. The car has 63k miles on it. The SES light is on and when I pulled the code, I got a P0014 (which is something having to do with the cam timing). Im sure someone here knows the exact code. Anyhow, I am having some performance problems and am fairly concerned.

Symptoms: My car will idle at 1000 rpms on a cold start for about 15 seconds. It will then get rough and slowly come down to about 750 rpms. The idle stays fairly rough and at 750 rpms, even after the car warms up. I am experiencing lack of power in lower rpms and acceleration. Sometimes the car will "hiccup" during "spirited" acceleration. I here a ticking sometimes (not always)....perhaps the VANOS rattle ive read about. Overall, the car feels jerky and sluggish

I have read the VANOS thread a couple times through and have done quite a bit of research on the subject (including the Beisen website). I am leaning towards replacing the seals, but I was hoping Rajae and all the rest of you intelligent fanatics would shed some of your insight as to what my problem is. If it is the seals, is it safe to say that is the only problem? Do you think there might be an additional problem? Why would my car throw the P0014 code (I know this isn't listed as one of the codes that pertain to VANOS seals)? What approach should I take here? I don't want to take this to the dealer, because frankly, I can't afford it. I am not a mechanic, but Im very tempted to try to do the seals myself....if that is what my problem is. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like Ill be doing the seals first then, and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Are there any mechanics near Bakersfield, CA that would be willing to do the repairs at a reasonable price? Id like to do it myself, but im still hesitant. Id feel more comfortable paying someone qualified or experienced. Please post on this board, pm me, or email me at [email protected]. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hello all. Im a new user to the boards and was hoping to get some advice from you about some issues Im having with my 2004 325ci. The car has 63k miles on it. The SES light is on and when I pulled the code, I got a P0014 (which is something having to do with the cam timing). Im sure someone here knows the exact code. Anyhow, I am having some performance problems and am fairly concerned.

Symptoms: My car will idle at 1000 rpms on a cold start for about 15 seconds. It will then get rough and slowly come down to about 750 rpms. The idle stays fairly rough and at 750 rpms, even after the car warms up. I am experiencing lack of power in lower rpms and acceleration. Sometimes the car will "hiccup" during "spirited" acceleration. I here a ticking sometimes (not always)....perhaps the VANOS rattle ive read about. Overall, the car feels jerky and sluggish

I have read the VANOS thread a couple times through and have done quite a bit of research on the subject (including the Beisen website). I am leaning towards replacing the seals, but I was hoping Rajae and all the rest of you intelligent fanatics would shed some of your insight as to what my problem is. If it is the seals, is it safe to say that is the only problem? Do you think there might be an additional problem? Why would my car throw the P0014 code (I know this isn't listed as one of the codes that pertain to VANOS seals)? What approach should I take here? I don't want to take this to the dealer, because frankly, I can't afford it. I am not a mechanic, but Im very tempted to try to do the seals myself....if that is what my problem is. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
There are a few potential causes of P0014

I believe an aftermarket exhaust CPS sensor can cause it. Be sure you have an OEM sensor.

In some cases the vanos exhaust solenoid piston can get sticky and cause this issues. Here's how to solve it.
Remove the vanos exhaust solenoid with a 32mm deep socket. Most 32mm deep sockets aren't deep enough for the vanos solenoid. Here is a link where I provide some info on a socket that does work.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/832599
Under the solenoid is a red spring loaded piston. Press in the piston and release. It should press in with resistance and spring back when released. The piston movement should be smooth. If it's not then this is likely the problem.
Pull out the piston and clean it and it's cylinder with brake cleaner. Spray clean the cylinder with brake cleaner. Oil the piston and cylinder and reinstall the piston. Check its movement.
Reinstall the solenoid.

The failed vanos seals can cause it.

Lastly if the timing is disturbed it can cause this issue.
If you don't have a history on this car then this is more likely. If you've owned the car for a while and there hasn't been an issue and it just popped up one day then it's not likely the timing.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information Rajae! I was wondering if you, or anyone else, knows of a DIY for removing and cleaning the exhaust solenoid. I have a general idea of where it is, but would feel more comfortable following a guide. Thank you very much for responding!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, Im still looking for a mechanic or even a good indy shop in the Bakersfield, CA area that will do the Vanos Seals installation at a reasonable price. Anyone out there willing to do this repair? Anyone know of a good Indy shop in the area? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Try Advanced European Automotive in Bakersfield. (661) 322-4444
We had sent them a sample single and double seals kit over a year ago.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
There are a few potential causes of P0014

I believe an aftermarket exhaust CPS sensor can cause it. Be sure you have an OEM sensor.

In some cases the vanos exhaust solenoid piston can get sticky and cause this issues. Here's how to solve it.
Remove the vanos exhaust solenoid with a 32mm deep socket. Most 32mm deep sockets aren't deep enough for the vanos solenoid. Here is a link where I provide some info on a socket that does work.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/832599
Under the solenoid is a red spring loaded piston. Press in the piston and release. It should press in with resistance and spring back when released. The piston movement should be smooth. If it's not then this is likely the problem.
Pull out the piston and clean it and it's cylinder with brake cleaner. Spray clean the cylinder with brake cleaner. Oil the piston and cylinder and reinstall the piston. Check its movement.
Reinstall the solenoid.

The failed vanos seals can cause it.

Lastly if the timing is disturbed it can cause this issue.
If you don't have a history on this car then this is more likely. If you've owned the car for a while and there hasn't been an issue and it just popped up one day then it's not likely the timing.

Let us know what happens.
thanks Rajaie,very interesting think clean solenoid pistons,next week i can do it

·
Registered
304 Posts

Did you find a solution to the P0014 code problem? I have the same situation too and wonder what should do next after I replaced the seals, solenoids, sensors etc and still no luck. Please let us know what happened with your car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts