BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have came across a 2003 BMW 330ci with sport and premium package.

Can members opine if it is a good buy? How reliable is the car and how fuel efficient it is?

I read on aol autos and it shows severe problems in engine. Is this true?

I am planning to take 2 years warranty from GWC Warranty. How good is this company? I am in california.

The price is $13000 plus taxes.

Please advice asap. Its urgent.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
:search: You didn't even mention how many miles it has. Does it have a service history, carfax, anything!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The M54 engine in the 330 is an excellent engine and will last for a long time... given proper care. You'll need maintenance records though... or anything that can vouch for the state of the car. Take it to an indy for an inspection.

I maintain that if you have decent mechanical skills, self warranty is the best warranty. Most third part warranties will give you after market or even used parts, so you could end up paying more in the long run.

13K might be a tad high... but that entirely depends on mileage and if there are any valuable mods on the car.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
+1 on Psre08; definitely get a pre-purchase inspection and Delmarco you need to get a freakin life, lol!

·
Registered
522 Posts
don't buy it.

because I can't stand another month of September filled with noob threads started by folks that can't search for ish before starting new threads.
Umad bro? :lmao:

Seriously though yeah Im not sure this person is qualified for simple DIYs on his car if he's asking these questions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i am sorry fellow members for not providing full information. I am too excited and a bit confused about this.

total miles on it is 91000.

the carfax is clear. title is clear.

it has sports and premium package. It also has Xenon HID lights. multi way power adjustable seat, harman kardon sound system, cruise control and volume controls on steering, power operated moon roof. These are some of the things i noted.

I drove it and loved the way it drove. Felt quite good. I will be getting it checked before i buy it, but i just wanted to get your opinion on what to expect during ownership of this. I have read and heard horror stories about BMWs on general, that they are expensive to repair, electronics are not good and then some more. So i am a bit apprehensive. But my heart is set on it since it was awesome to drive. I rejected 2005 G35, 350z and many more after driving this.

How much fuel economy i should expect? EPA says around 21-22. My daily drive will be 40 miles both ways with $20 miles of freeway and rest chockablock traffic. Can i expect around 25 or is it too much to ask?

The dealer's price was $14995, i managed to get him to $12899. I configured the same options on kbb and it says it is worth $15370.

i am not a DIY person. so all repairs would be done outside. That is why i am planning to get a year or two warranty. A 2 year warranty is $2135 from GWC Warranty. I am not even aware of how good that company is.

Thank you very much for your opinions. I respect them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
i am sorry fellow members for not providing full information. I am too excited and a bit confused about this.

total miles on it is 91000.

the carfax is clear. title is clear.

it has sports and premium package. It also has Xenon HID lights. multi way power adjustable seat, harman kardon sound system, cruise control and volume controls on steering, power operated moon roof. These are some of the things i noted.

I drove it and loved the way it drove. Felt quite good. I will be getting it checked before i buy it, but i just wanted to get your opinion on what to expect during ownership of this. I have read and heard horror stories about BMWs on general, that they are expensive to repair, electronics are not good and then some more. So i am a bit apprehensive. But my heart is set on it since it was awesome to drive. I rejected 2005 G35, 350z and many more after driving this.

How much fuel economy i should expect? EPA says around 21-22. My daily drive will be 40 miles both ways with $20 miles of freeway and rest chockablock traffic. Can i expect around 25 or is it too much to ask?

The dealer's price was $14995, i managed to get him to $12899. I configured the same options on kbb and it says it is worth $15370.

i am not a DIY person. so all repairs would be done outside. That is why i am planning to get a year or two warranty. A 2 year warranty is $2135 from GWC Warranty. I am not even aware of how good that company is.

Thank you very much for your opinions. I respect them.
Well, for 13000 it better be flawless no scratches no nicks no nothing. Engine better be in very good shape. Overall for 13,000 an 03 330 better be clean and I mean clean. But 91k miles isnt too bad, i mean yes you are going to have a few problems but most e46 problems are generic and everyone has them and very good step by step DIY's that will save ya alot. But i see you have a warranty, so yeah keep trying to talk them down on the price 11,500 -12 is more appropriate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, for 13000 it better be flawless no scratches no nicks no nothing. Engine better be in very good shape. Overall for 13,000 an 03 330 better be clean and I mean clean. But 91k miles isnt too bad, i mean yes you are going to have a few problems but most e46 problems are generic and everyone has them and very good step by step DIY's that will save ya alot. But i see you have a warranty, so yeah keep trying to talk them down on the price 11,500 -12 is more appropriate.
Thank you for your opinion.

Body is superb. tires are in great condition and so is alloys. No nicks or scratches anywhere. Interior is in superb shape. Nothing broken or torn. AC cools well. I will be taking it to firestone or some place for inspection either tomorrow or on monday.

Warranty will be from a third party offered by the dealer. It is GWC. It has comprehensive coverage for 2 years for $2135.

They are not budging below 12899. I took them lowest to $12500 but didn't agree. But they won't go below $13495. Finally managed $12899. They keep showing me this kelly blue book and keep showing $15000 saying bank will give you this if something happens to the car and what not. I am going to drive it extensively today. Hoping to see if any more problem comes.

Is it an automatic or manual?
It is a automatic sir. It has M/S also written on it. Which is think is for manual and sport.

·
Registered
395 Posts
$12,899 is WAY too much for an 2003 w/91k miles. You can get a 03-04 ZHP for that much. But if its the EXACT car you want with all the options you want than I guess it's your money.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You definitely want a service history on it that indicates that the transmission fluid was changed. When you get the car checked out, make sure they inspect the rear subframe for cracks.

In general, the reliability ratings for E46 BMWs went up in '04 and '05. You may want to hold out for a later year with fewer miles. I only paid $5k more than you're talking about (this year) for an '04 330i ZSP with 30,000 miles with full maintenance records (from a dealership).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Prize depends on location, each state will have different prizes based on vehicles sales and living costs, common sense.
That aside check on similar vehicles for prizes, if they are close to the asking price then ur not getting a bargain but what the vehicle is worth. It should also come with maintenance records if it is as clean and they say it is.

Exercise common sense and shopping practices and search, dont just go by just word of mouth, ived come across alot of ppl that say Ford is the best automobile company in the world but that doesnt necessarily mean its true...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

Just to put it into perspective, I just bought a 2003 330ci with 107,000 miles on it for $10,500, and it came with a 6 month unlimited mile warranty.

13k is way too high imo. Be patient and do some more searching, and you will be able to find a much better/newer car for the same amount, or even less.

Goodluck!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I picked up a 2003 330Ci with sport/premium packages last month from Carmax with 81k miles. Paid a bit of a premium for it ($16k), but it was exactly what I wanted, 5-speed MT of course. Even got it with the right color. One thing you should look for is if the oil level light comes on for a minute after starting, it means the oil level sensor's broken. Check the control arm bushings for play, too. If the steering shudders or pulls to one side during braking, they probably need replacing. It's a common problem with these cars after this many miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
check the headlights. make sure the bulbs aren't burned out, if it's the zkw manufactured projectors. it's 1200 per headlight to replace, IF you don't go the retrofitting route, which would be much cheaper and around 500 at the most for both lights if you go with the fx-r hid projectors.
can you test drive it at night? if the lights are not bright, i'd use that to my advantage in further price negotiation
usually headlights are overlooked since most testdrives are done in the day

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello all,

I have came across a 2003 BMW 330ci with sport and premium package.

Can members opine if it is a good buy? How reliable is the car and how fuel efficient it is?

I read on aol autos and it shows severe problems in engine. Is this true?

I am planning to take 2 years warranty from GWC Warranty. How good is this company? I am in california.

i bought my 2003 330i sedan on 12/31/10 for 10000 cash. it's a zhp. it was listed as 12000 at a toyota dealership. one of those end of the year sales. so i may have lucked up gettin' mine for so low. it had 79K miles on it. i got it checked out by a bimrs.org affiliate repair shop.
i've done a little at a time as far as preventive maintenance on it: tires, spark plug change, tranny and differential fluid change, oil change. my next projects are the cooling system, the headlight retrofit, and the fuel and air filters, and the belts, and suspension. just a little at a time until im satisfied.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you all for your opinions.

it seems i am paying a bit more than norm. i went to look at it yesterday and on further inspection, i found some cracks in wooden trim on dashboard and door panel. i also saw the right skirt not aligned properly. the front left head light was misaligned. i pointed out all this to the dealer and they said they will fix it.

i haven't got a chance to take it to a shop for inspection. will be doing it on monday after my loan approval. when i was finalizing the deal, i was also not satisfied with the pricing. but i said i may be off by a couple of hundrerd bucks, but it seems i am paying a whole lot more. i looked at other similar cars. Another 2002 330ci is asking $12995. It has greyish black interior, the 2003 one that i like has all black interior. The 2002 is not in good condition interior wise. There are some rough spots which have lost texture as it is a 9 yrs old car. Didn't find similar issue with 2003. Both ride good. If i got a certified dealer, like Niello bmw or other bigger dealerships, they are quoting anywhere from $20,000 to $30000 for 2005-2008 328i's. So it seems the value of this cars are little bit on higher side.

I will keep in mind the next time i go and check it for all the suggestions give by you all.

i appreciate your time and patience in replying. thank you

1 - 20 of 45 Posts