BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please, I think I was ripped off
I bought a 2003 BMW 330 XI - Super Clean beautiful car - Runs great, starts great, Idles great. Has new radiator and hoses, starter, serpentine belt, tires. Oil changed every 3,000 miles (saw receipts). All highway miles 150,000

I was told that the seller thought all was wrong was that it needed a new gas cap for the check engine light. Sometimes the light stays on - Sometimes it goes off. I checked the Gas Cap and there was no pressure when I opened it so I figured that was a simple task. I have ordered one and waiting for it to come.

Then I decide to borrow a engine code reader. Here are the codes I got
P0313 Misfire detected with low fuel
P0300 Random.Multiple Cylinder misfire detected
P0171 System to Lean Bank 1
P1083 MFG Specific DTC See Service Manual
P1085 MFG Specific DTC See Service Manual
P1346 MFG Specific DTC See Service Manual
P0174 System to lean bank 2
P1349 MFG Specific DTC See Service Manual

Any help or suggestions? I am not that mechanically inclined with the new vehicle engines.

Any good non BMW service shops in the Montgomery/Frederick County Maryland that can help?

I really like this car

Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sounds like you bought it from a hispanic. LMAO.
But seriously this sounds like a lack of maintenance to me. You have no idea what you got yourself into considering you can't diy, and didn't inspect the car by an indy shop before buying it. Visit the regional forums for a recommended shop but its best to grab some tools and learn to DIY.
BTW. Hoses, serpentine belt, tires, and 3k mile oil changes is not proper maintenance.
He said 150.000 highway miles?:rofl:. And im assuming its an auto.
He screwd you with no petrolium jelly.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
^ I don't think it's lack of maintenance but you have no idea what else is wrong with that car. Buying a 150k mile BMW without an inspection and no ability for DIY is asking for it. By the time you're done, you probably could have bought a good condition E9X.

Anyway, for the problem at hand it's likely the intake boot having holes/tears/cracks in it. All of the codes you have point to a lean condition issue meaning your engine is getting more air than it thinks it should get. You don't have multiple issues, you have one issue with multiple codes. Replace the intake boot from the air box all the way to the throttle body. Also give your MAF and idle control valve a good cleaning and replace the O-ring on the DISA. That should resolve your issues.

The fuel filter replacement certainly can't hurt at all since it's likely never been replaced.

Oh and OP, grab a good set of tools and get ready for the long haul. Read some DIYs and ask some questions, your wallet will thank you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Codes will 'cascade' and add up once one code or error has been detected.

The best way to test it is to first CLEAR all the codes. Your warning lights might turn on.....This is normal. Drive the car. Check codes within a mile or 2, if possible. If you have multiple codes again, clear them and check within a few minutes to see if any codes are thrown. A bad ground or loose coil mounting nut can cause a cylinder misfire that might look like a faulty coil, but is resolved by cleaning and tightening the nuts. ;) I've solved more than one 'bad coil' by cleaning grounds.

You guys make it sound like the end of the world! :) It can't be that bad of a car if it is clean and looks cared for, as long as the suspension is tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed the gas cap today and that made a difference
Also tightened the clamp on one of the rubber pieces
One or two of the coils are bad (seller called me back and had convienently told m he forgot the mechanic told him to replace two coils). Going to go ahead and change all the coils and plugs tomorrow
And go from there
If I have to put another 1K into it for parts to get the check engine lights off it is still worth it.
Thank you for the advice

·
Registered
244 Posts
Like I said before, just because a coil(s) shows that it is "bad" does not mean that it is. It can be a bad ground (dirty) or the coil itself is not grounding to the engine properly. These parts do get corroded. If cleaning the grounds doesn't fix it, then I would start throwing cubic dollars at it. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Despite what your current situation is just because there's a check engine light with multiple codes on it, doesn't mean your in a crap ton of trouble. Sure, in your case you might have to shell out couple hundreds, but this is a fine car. The motor is strong and as long as your coolant system has been flushed/serviced, with a new water pump pulley/all metal water pump & thermostat. your car should be at-least good for miles. Your problem, seems to be with the fuel filter & coils.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
codes is E46's gentle way of telling you it needs some attention. you havent seen the really bad ways yet such as broken CV joints, ET explosion, and bad CA.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok, I totally agree, the code(s) are telling you that there is a lean condition, or a misfire condition that can be a bad coil(s), depending on what year this car is, each coil may OR may not have its own ground wire. The 03s on up do not have the separate coil ground wires as many service manuals show, the ground wire is incorporated into the wiring plug for each coil, and from '03 up, the coils are not bolted in, they are just pushed onto the spark plugs. Since the previous owner told you that it has 1 or 2 bad coils, I would opt to replace them all and at the same time, replace the spark plugs. When removing the coils, look for oil on the coil boots and in the spark plug wells. If there is oil on the coil boot(s), on the plugs and/or in the spark plug well(s), the valve cover is leaking and needs to be replaced. The 2 seal pieces for the spark plug wells dry out and become brittle, causing oil to seep into the spark plug wells. Oil on the coil boots can cause the coils to misfire/short out causing a misfire, poor performance and poor gas mileage besides oil usage.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Forgot to add, as previously stated, it will be a good idea to also inspect both intake boots for cracks and tears. On these models the intake bellows bots are 2 piece with a hard splice clamped between them. They are prone to dry out and develop cracks, causing the engine to get too much air (un-metered air since it enters up stream of the MAF) which will also cause a lean condition.
I prefer the NGK plugs over the Bosch but you can use either, expect to pay about $4.95 to $5.95 for the Bosch and about twice that for the NGK and about $20.00 per plug from the BMW Dealer (both the NGK and the Bosch are/were specced for these cars and from the dealer you don't know which you are getting until you open the boxes).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts