BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently purchased a '03 330xi with 90k miles and I can feel that my Drivers Half-shaft needs replaced so while it was up on the lift I was planning on doing a "Refresh". I have been considering the ECS Level 3 Front & Rear Refresh Kit - http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330xi-M54_3.0L/Suspension/Refresh_Kits/ES2501052/

Is this worth the money? In addition, I have heard that the Vaico brand leaves much to be desired in quality.

My goal here is to do some preventative maintenance and I want to install quality products so I will not need to worry about this aspect of the car.

I am also plan on replacing all of the fluids in the transmission, front and rear diff...any advice?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be Greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
That doesn't come with shocks or springs it looks like, you would want those as well. You need a new driveshaft flex disc as well most likely. Main things to focus on while doing a refresh would be:

Strut mounts
strut reinforcement plates
front shocks
front control arms
outer tie rods
front end links
front sway bar bushings
front control arm bushings

rear shock mounts
shock mount reinforcement plate
rear shocks
rear end links
rear swaybar bushings
rear trailing arm bushing
differential carrier bushing

And if you have the time and money:
rear trailing arm ball joints
subframe mounts+reinforcement

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Gunsnbacon (two of my most favorite things!),

No, that is correct it does not come with the Shocks or Struts. I was considering the Bilstein Heavy Duty and keeping my original springs.

I am starting to think that it might be better to piece together my own "kit".

Can you recommend the best place to buy the parts and what the best brands would be? I have heard good things about the Meyle brand but since I have an xi, I am limited on options.

Thanks again for your help!

Joel

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
ECStuning is a good choice for you for quick shipping since they are based out of ohio. I think all of their orders go through Akron.

I prefer lemfoerder parts myself. A lot of stock bmw suspension components are Sachs. I haven't heard many complaints about meyle though and I had several meyle rear end suspension parts on my xi.

Bilstein HD is a good choice though for shocks. FCPeuro has pretty good deals on "kits" as well. Their kits are much smaller though and usually just contain a few parts like tie rods, control arms, and a bushing set. Right now on my coupe I have bilstein pss coil overs, lemfoerder tie rods, control arms, and bushings with sachs strut mounts and the OEM reinforcement plates and I love the set.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you like the Bilstein Coilovers? How do they ride? I am looking for a tight well handling ride but I like my Kidneys the way they are so I would like some comfort as well. I was just told in another thread just to stick with Struts and the E36 M3 rear shocks...thoughts?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
They are a bit bouncy on the roads here actually. Not much body roll but in a good comfy m3 seat, they feel alright. Then again I'm only 24 years old and I skate as a hobby so comfortable ride really isn't in my vocabulary. If you are driving on the highway they are great, but on the roads... you will feel everything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for the info. I had a Mazda RX-7 that rode like that when I was 24...little too old for the kidney blasting these days.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts