E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me, please, if you can. To cut to the chase, just jump to the bold text below.

Wednesday 6/17, my wife and I finally joined the ranks of BMW owners, purchasing a 2003 330Ci convertible, with sport package (as it turned out). She drove it a total of perhaps 20 minutes before we made the decision to buy.

The following day (yesterday), she drove it perhaps 100 miles - very possibly less. On getting home, she couldn't walk - the car plays havoc with the five hernieated discs she has from an accident in 1999 (totally not her fault, BTW). She now wants to get rid of it immediately.

Please help me keep the car. In order to do so, I need to soften it up (I know it's heresy to mess with a perfectly good bimmer's ride and handling, but she'll go back to a Benz if we don't). What suspension and tire setup(s) would you recommend to emphasize ride over handling? I'm at the opposite extreme with my car, BTW - a 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan - comfortable ride it definitely does not have.

The 330Ci is awesome - 45K miles, black, black top, natural brown montana leather, premium package, sport package, xenons... just missing nav and park distance control, from what I can tell. Most importantly, it's tight - feels like one car going down the road, not a collection of parts moving in formation.

Suggestions are most welcome.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
i'm no expert but find something that is softer and not for preformance. my dads e60 has great ride. maybe you could find some stock ones from an e60 if they fit.. not sure tho. good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
you may find a softer ride from the non sport springs, but I seriously doubt you will find anything produced for that car that will resolve her issues. I feel bad for you and her, I have two herniated discs and there are days I drive something else just because I have alot of pain that day. My neurologist told me If I ever get into a car and the seat is too stiff then I should get out and walk. If she has five bad discs I cannot imagine any 3 series working, look at 540, all the comfort of a 7 series and the performance of a 3 series.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
well minus getting rid of the car i would look into Koni FSD shocks (they are supposed to be uber comfortable for shocks) but keeping the stock springs are going to be the softest (ergo most comfortable)

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
replace the driver seat with a nice la-z-boy, gonna need to fab up ur own brackets though...

in all seriousness though, ur gonna need softer shocks, couple sponsors should be able to give u a quick rundown on the softest shocks produced

·
Registered
781 Posts
The Koni FSD aren't going to improve the ride. Your only option is to pick up some non sport springs and I know oembimmerparts.com sells the non-sport shocks for pretty cheap. Most non-sport suspensions came on the sedans pre 2002 and I'm not sure how much of it is compatible with the coupe (I think the shocks are but not sure about the springs.) You'll want to trade down to 17" rims / tires if you don't already have them (very few 16's will fit a 330.) Then it should ride pretty close to a Benz with similar tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts