E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Track it
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up fellas. I finally took delivery of my 2003 330ci on Friday. I have since then put 300 miles on it staying under 3000rpm very reluctantly. Even at these low speeds the car is amazing. I can't wait to drive it hard. I went to the dealer today to have the DRLs deleted and I asked what the reccommended break-in period was. He told me the cars are designed a way tat they need no break in. Before I started beating on the car, I wanted a second opinion. Frankly, I don't trust the BMW technicians one bit. What are your experiences with breaking in your new 3ers. I have heard from 1000 to 1200 mi is necessary for an adequate engine break in. I know that is the case for the M3, but what about the 330. Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated, and I'll get you guys some phat pics of the car as soon as I stop driving it and have a minute to take pics......

Thanks for your help.
 

·
I've got what plants crave.
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
1200 for sure. a little too much "puff-puff-give" going on at your dealership I think. J/K.

Do yourself a favor. Grab your manual tonight and read it cover to cover. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you may actually find it enjoyable. I hate reading in general, but I always read the manuals to my cars.

anyway, the manual says 1200 miles also.
 

·
mod bug resistant
Joined
·
600 Posts
E28Fiend said:
word.....why not at the same rate of speed, if you don't mind my asking?
By varying engine speed (RPM) you vary engine load. If you drive at the same rate of speed your RPMs don't change, therefore, the engine load remains the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
E28Fiend said:
word.....why not at the same rate of speed, if you don't mind my asking?
you want your pistons, rings, and cylinder to wear and seat properly. varying the RPM allows the pistons and rings to wear to the cylinder more effectively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
AndyXXL said:


By varying engine speed (RPM) you vary engine load. If you drive at the same rate of speed your RPMs don't change, therefore, the engine load remains the same.
Varying the speed allows the valves/pistons to properly seat themselves. Without varying, there is a tendancy for them to wear in a less than ideal way. There are SO many theories on engine break in that it would fill a freakin library. Do the 1250 the manual says, if nothing more for good luck. :yikes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Break-in period's about "once a week" if you live in NJ! :lmao:




Sorry, couldn't resist that one. I'd go through the 1200 mile one, and then start gradually opening it up... resist the urge to redline, I remember how tough that is. :rolleyes:
 

·
Track it
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the help fellas...i read through the manual and found the Break-in guidelines....it says break in is 1250mi, not to exceed 4500rpms.....better than the 3000 someone else told me not to exceed.....Im gonna go drive around in circles for a few hours to bring up the mileage...I don't know how much longer I'll be able to handle this!!!

Thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
E28Fiend said:
thanks for all the help fellas...i read through the manual and found the Break-in guidelines....it says break in is 1250mi, not to exceed 4500rpms.....better than the 3000 someone else told me not to exceed.....Im gonna go drive around in circles for a few hours to bring up the mileage...I don't know how much longer I'll be able to handle this!!!

Thanks again
It is tough, very tough. My 330i has 1800 Miles on it and I 5000RPM's are my current limit. I will continue to slowly increase my way to Redline, but man is it hard.

When I had my 325i with Step, it was almost impossible to keep it under 4500RPM's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
mc said:
1200 for sure. a little too much "puff-puff-give" going on at your dealership I think. J/K.

Do yourself a favor. Grab your manual tonight and read it cover to cover. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you may actually find it enjoyable. I hate reading in general, but I always read the manuals to my cars.

anyway, the manual says 1200 miles also.
very true... read mine... dealer told me that there is no break in.. Manual clearly stated 1250 miles and below 4500 rpms...

u call the shot.. :)
 

·
Track it
Joined
·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your input.....

I am definately following the guidelines in the manual, 4,500 rpms I can live with....someone had told me the limit was 3000 so for the first 300mi i didn't exceed 3000rpms but it was killing me. \

For those who would like to know, The dealer at Bayside BMW in Bayside Queens, NY told me there was no break in period. A BMW tech also told me that there was no break in, that the car was "broken in at the factory"........my car came with 12 miles. I asked him how they could break it in in 12 miles, and he corrected himself....."they were designed a certain way so that they didn't have to be broken in". At this point I knew anything else he was gonna say was bull**** which is when I cam to ask you guys....

Thanks again for all your help and good luck to you.
 

·
www.piratecove.org
Joined
·
3,677 Posts
granted until the temp gauge gets in the middle i always keep my car under 3k rpm, so take that as you will
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
E28Fiend said:
I went to the dealer today to have the DRLs deleted
:yikes: i thought we dont have DRL. i have a 2003 330 coupe and i dont have DRL. i put the switch in every position but i dont get DRL. am i doing something wrong or does Cali cars have different setting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Re: Re: 2003 330ci Break in Period

BEKSA said:


:yikes: i thought we dont have DRL. i have a 2003 330 coupe and i dont have DRL. i put the switch in every position but i dont get DRL. am i doing something wrong or does Cali cars have different setting?
All 330 have DRL, you have to go to the dealer to turn it on:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
CtrlAltDel said:
granted until the temp gauge gets in the middle i always keep my car under 3k rpm, so take that as you will
Not that reliable to only trust the temp gauge, as its more important as to what oil temperature you have! Since the 330 doesn't (?) have an oil temp gauge, and the oil temperature takes a while longer to reach normal driving temperature than the temp gauge, you should wait a while longer before flooring it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
whaaaat? i have to get the dealer to turn it on? wtf? shouldnt they come standard?
so does everyone have to ask the dealer to activate DRL?
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top