E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been looking for a manual shift 330 most of this year. I finally found one about 6 hours away. I bought it from a distance and had it hauled here. It's my first foreign project car and by far the newest, so it's a whole new world. I'm going clean it up, get it sorted out for the street, and possibly later take it to the track. Problems I know about are missing driver window, exhaust cut off and missing parts, and power steering. I'm also not sure if I can get it into 5th. I haven't been able to drive it yet because it's been pouring rain and the window is missing.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Grey Cleat

Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part Metal Pipe

Grey Artifact Art Sculpture Wood

Grey Tool Glove Eyewear Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Finger

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone help me identify any of the 6 "parts" in the 5th picture? They were in the trunk. One or two might not be parts. Also, in the 6th picture I am holding a wire connected to a plug that is just hanging there, not connected to anything. It's similar to the other plug in the picture that is connected. There is some funky wiring in this area. You can see two white wires leading to this area in the last picture. They both go to grounds. Any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe someone put in a non-stock fan?

·
Registered
2002 Bmw 325Ci
31 Posts
I can tell 3 of 6

Top piece: Air Ducking to intake
Middle right: Top piece of a expansion tank
Bottom right: Rear Fender Lining Driver's Side

Not so sure on rest
Can anyone help me identify any of the 6 "parts" in the 5th picture? They were in the trunk. One or two might not be parts. Also, in the 6th picture I am holding a wire connected to a plug that is just hanging there, not connected to anything. It's similar to the other plug in the picture that is connected. There is some funky wiring in this area. You can see two white wires leading to this area in the last picture. They both go to grounds. Any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe someone put in a non-stock fan?

·
Registered
2005 325i
9 Posts
I can tell 3 of 6

Top piece: Air Ducking to intake
Middle right: Top piece of a expansion tank
Bottom right: Rear Fender Lining Driver's Side

Not so sure on rest
The pear shaped metal piece is part of the battery tie down, there is a long bar that spans across above it, and holds the pear down with an adjustable screw.

·
Registered
2005 325i
9 Posts
If it was a manual swap then the P/O probably attempted an aftermarket fan install. If not then my guess would be that your fan module is bad, and they tried to bypass it, It's only supposed to kick on when the A/C is on. If the module is bad then it will either always stay on, or always stay off, whether the ignition is on or off. BUT from what I can remember the fan has something like 12 speeds and motor is run off a PWM signal from the module. Check to see at the end of that constant 12v white wire if you find a relay tapped into the fan harness.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Automotive tire Hood Tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Rim

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Toy Automotive design Rim
It's not a manual swap. In the first picture there is a connector to the left with an orange wire. That one is connected. Just to right and hanging down is an unconnected connector. Both come out of the same part of the harness, shown with red dot in 2nd pic. The two white wires may be unrelated. One goes to the middle of the fan. The other goes down the side of the fan and out of sight. Both end go to ground as shown in third pic

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Gas

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part

Tire Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
I got an exhaust and driver window for $105, and put the window in tonight. This thing can finally go outside. I was hoping the last owner just disconnected the vacuum at the flapper valve, but unfortunately they cut off and removed the line.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drove it for the first time. Dang, it's a snarling beast with the exhaust mostly cut off. My son would love it, but I thought it was kind of embarrassing. It was great to take it for a spin though. There is no power steering. The last owner thought the owner before him might have put the wrong fluid in. I need to diagnose whether it's just the wrong fluid or if the pump is shot.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a used power steering pump with pretty low miles for $50. I'm not sure mine is bad yet. I think a prior owner put something other than ATF in it. The liquid is brown and opaque. I got the car up on jack stands today. It's amazing how much debate there here about how to do it! Anyone know what this is?
Automotive tire Tire Material property Wood Bumper

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't bump your head on the rear muffler attachment points. It hurts like hell. I confirmed today that the power steering pump is shot by loosening the belt tensioner--the shaft pulled right out. I ordered the power steering refresh kit and a bunch of small parts to rehang the exhaust from FCP Euro. I was impressed that they had everything, even specific nuts and bolts.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel
Hair Jaw Ear Chest Helmet

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been swamped with work, but was able to find a little time last week to replace the power steering pump, reservoir, and upper hoses. It was great to drive it for the first time with power steering. I also replaced the transmission fluid and it shifts much, much better now. Next up is an exhaust shop to get a factory stud removed from the flange at the end of one of the downpipes.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The exhaust shop had the stud out in 5 minutes. I put an OEM exhaust on last weekend, and as much as I like a little noise, it is way more fun to drive now. It was obnoxiously loud before. Before I put the exhaust back on I cleared the check engine codes (P0420 and P0430) and they have not come back on yet. Fingers crossed. On the down side, I drove it 10 miles to a DEQ testing station and radiator fluid started spraying out of a pinhole in the radiator right when I pulled in, so they wouldn't do the smog check or the VIN inspection, and to add insult to injury, a lot of smoke came out of the exhaust the last mile coming home. It's got a lot of miles, and I've only driven about 30 miles, but I was surprised because there has been no noticeable smoke until then.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's up on jack stands now. I'm going to replace the radiator and maybe other cooling system parts, depending on what I see. The expansion tank looks new. I briefly toyed with plugging the pinhole with JB Weld to get it past DEQ inspection (don't worry - only to get it registered and titled before I put too much $ in), but it's in a bad spot and someone else apparently tried that already because I can see residual patch material there. Maybe I can also figure out what's going on with the fan. It has an electric one and I don't think these came with that. I guess I can replace the power steering cooling loop now too.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well that was messy. I pulled the radiator and need to order a new one. Even without a hole, it probably wasn't working that well with all the debris on the front of it. On the fence about replacing the water pump while things are apart. The wiring to the fan is messed up. I posted a separate thread about that.
Textile Wood Font Mesh Road surface

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Alloy wheel Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2003 330Ci Manual Shift
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went with a CSF OE+ radiator from Bimmerworld, and ordered the power steering cooling loop and another power steering hose from FCP Euro. After replacing that hose, there will only be one old one left on the car, and I'll deal with that one later. I pulled the handbrake mechanism out to compare with used ones on Ebay, but ended up fixing it. There is a "cam" that catches on the teeth of a wheel and the teeth and the cam were worn. I took it apart and ground the cam so it has a nice sharp edge again and it now catches on the teeth of the wheel and holds. I also replaced the O-ring on the pressure hose that connects to the power steering pump. I didn't do that before and was getting a slow leak. The old O-ring was fried. I took apart the controller for the fan and probably mucked it up far worse than it already was. It's a sealed unit and did not come apart or go back together easily. I'll probably be ordering a new fan unit soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts