BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no 5v reference as soon as I plug my crankshaft position in but if I unplug my sensor and test for it off the connector I have my 5v signal until I plug the sensor in then I have 0.1v and Ik it***8217;s not the sensor I***8217;ve tried 3 of them can anybody help me out I***8217;m a loss I***8217;ve just spent upwards of $500 replacing all the ccv, vacuum lines, disa, valve cover etc and now I have a no start bmw that ran when I parked it to replace all that stuff

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,884 Posts
Not seeing the car directly and that given all was fine when you started I'd suggest the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method:

Have you gone back over all of your work and made sure that all is hooked up, hooked up correctly and nothing swapped inadvertently?

Are all of the wires and/or grounds correct on the top of the valve cover?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I***8217;ve triple checked everything I can get the car to start if I unplug the crankshaft sensor but if I plug it it it drops my 5v to all the other sensors

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
yes, it's possible- I was going the other way, and thinking there was a loose connection somewhere in the engine harness box.
That thing is a pain in the butt when you're working in there, and it's easy to stress and strain the individual wires.

Try measuring current draw (milliamps)- troubleshooting isn't easy unless you open up the box, which is a pain in its own right...

t

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duralast but they***8217;ve all ohmed out the same as my genuine bmw one I pulled from the car I have a pigtail coming in the mail visually I see freyed insulation on the wires but that doesn***8217;t explain why it only shorts when a sensors plugged in I***8217;ve made sure none of the wires are touching

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I have no 5v reference as soon as I plug my crankshaft position in but if I unplug my sensor and test for it off the connector I have my 5v signal until I plug the sensor in then I have 0.1v and Ik it's not the sensor I've tried 3 of them can anybody help me out I'm a loss I've just spent upwards of $500 replacing all the ccv, vacuum lines, disa, valve cover etc and now I have a no start bmw that ran when I parked it to replace all that stuff
There are 3 pins on the sensor; so which pin are you taking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update I did some more troubleshooting today I found my 5v is backwards for instance if I take my crankshaft sensor plug it in and backprobe my 5v signal wire I have 0.2 until I put a wrench over top of the magnet in the sensor then I get my 5v this is making no sense to me I can figure it out for the life of me

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,804 Posts
Update I did some more troubleshooting today I found my 5v is backwards for instance if I take my crankshaft sensor plug it in and backprobe my 5v signal wire I have 0.2 until I put a wrench over top of the magnet in the sensor then I get my 5v this is making no sense to me I can figure it out for the life of me
Seems you might be measuring the signal wire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am I have p0727 code no start I looked online I should have a constant 5v until I break the circuit with a wrench but it***8217;s backwards I don***8217;t have 5v until I break the circuit which it should be the other way around correct?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,884 Posts
Glad you got to the root of your issue. I've been watching this thread.
Care to share for the benefit of all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I had to have it taken too a local shop that's good with bmws I had suspicions that it was a wiring problem but my meter told me other wise I'm not to sharp in automobile wiring so I sucked it up and sent it to the shop took them an hour worth of labor and was fixed seemingly easy for them I've been trying to figure it out for a week like I said I had no avail I could not fix the problem but all's well that ends well and I'm glad it's up and running again especially after putting a good bit of money in it

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts