E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get an awesome deal on this car. It's exactly what I want (well, I *think* I'd like a 330, but the price difference would be significant - I'll go test drive a 325 tomorrow). My only concern is that it was driven a good bit - 32K miles in one year. Should that be of concern or is nothing to be worried about? Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
it wold definantly be better if they were mostly highway miles.
32k miles in a year is alot, but as long and it wasnt used alot in races and ect.
it should be fine

·
Registered
73 Posts
Depends on when the car was put in service. If it was in the beginning of 2003 or late 2002 then it could be more than 2 years of driving. 15k a year is average. I picked up mine in Feb 2004 (new) so the year of the car can sometimes be misleading. I would just carfax it and maybe check bimmerfest ask-a-dealer forum and see if you can get a history from those guys and then you can feel confident in your decision.

As far as the 325/330 discussion goes I have a 325 and if money IS an issue (which for most of us it is) I think the 325 is a much better value and is still one hell of a car and better than 99% of the other models of cars out on the road.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
No worries, I got my car with about that many miles when it was a year old & Its got 55K on it now. I haven't had any "pain in the a$$" problems with mine. Just make sure all the service is up to date.

·
Registered
640 Posts
To be honest with you, theres no way to know if the car was taken care of or beat up. There are some signs that you can look at to give you an idea like the condition of the interior/exterior, but the reality is that any 2003 car with a good detailing is going to look pretty sharp unless it was *really* beat on. But, Someone could have never changed the oil or bounced the rev limiter off the car in every gear. That's the problem with buying used. But the bigger problem is buying from a dealer. The problem with buying from a dealer, is that you'll have no service records, you won't get to see how the owner lives and cares for their stuff. Have you tried to just get your $$$ back. The best way to buy is private party if you're worried about how the car was cared for, in fact it's really the only way to buy unless the car comes with a records.

So to answer your question, your guess on how the car was cared for is as good as anyone's. What I do know is that the majority of 3 series owners (particularly 325 owners) don't give a damn about maintaining their cars. They bring them in to the dealer when the service indicator clicks on at 15k miles and that's the extent of it.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I have about 30K on my 2003, all highway miles and I haven't had any problems so far except that darn speaker rattle. I have only gone by the service meter so far. 30k IMO is still new. It actually runs better than when I first got it with 5miles :) Bought mine at the end of 03.

·
Core Fanatic
1,145 Posts
Smoltz said:
......the bigger problem is buying from a dealer. The problem with buying from a dealer, is that you'll have no service records, you won't get to see how the owner lives and cares for their stuff. Have you tried to just get your $$$ back. The best way to buy is private party if you're worried about how the car was cared for, in fact it's really the only way to buy unless the car comes with a records.

So to answer your question, your guess on how the car was cared for is as good as anyone's. What I do know is that the majority of 3 series owners (particularly 325 owners) don't give a damn about maintaining their cars. They bring them in to the dealer when the service indicator clicks on at 15k miles and that's the extent of it.

Thanks,
Adam
True and not true. If the maintenance was done at the dealer (which is should because it is free), then BMW has the entire service history of it on file. Otherwise, you have to have reciepts.

There is nothing wrong with 15k mile oill change intervals. I can't go that long in between changes, but I am slowly coming around. Synthetic oils are fantastic and they will shatter the old 3k mile oil change stigma. The society of automotive engineers (SAE) has fantastic literature on synthetic oil testing, you should read up. To say that someone doesn't give a damn about their car because they follow the factory recommended maintenance is wrong partner.

Crazyro, I like my 325. More is always better. If I had it to do over again, I would still not pay the 6K difference (new) between my 325 and a 330. Now in the used car market, with options equal, I would pay an extra 2-3k for the 330. That is what it is worth to me for the extra power to be on tap, though I would probably never use it on the street. I have no regrets about the 325, but a e36 M3 may be blurring my dissapointment with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts