BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a 2003 325i Sport with manual transmission. The front part of my exhaust configuration consists of a twin pipe that bolts directly to the manifold twin pipes and is held in place by bracket that mounts onto the transmission housing. This bracket is connected to the exhaust via a single bolt and another bracket that wraps around the twin pipe and has two bolts running through the centre of it.

It's this wrap around bracket that I have the problem with. It has a very flimsy flange connecting it to the straight bracket [that bolts to the transmission housing] and it is this flimsy flange that's cracked through an broken.

The problem here is that this wrap around bracket is welded on either side so even if the two bolts through the centre were removed, you'd still be unable to get it off the exhaust. The only way I can see of removing it is by cutting through it. Far more infuriating however is the fact that BMW do not sell a replacement or aftermarket substitute for this bracket... instead you need to replace the entire exhaust system... and no guessing how much that costs ! My exhaust system itself is absolutely perfect so I'm hoping that somebody here has experienced a similar problem and has some suggestions on what can be done.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A piece of stainless, a drill and a welder.
Thanks for this Mike. Ya, welding would seem the logical thing to do. I'm trying to find a shop that will do that for me... my local exhaust place said they're not allowed weld anything because the material's too thin. He suggested MIG welding [some place else] but I would have thought brazing might be better.

·
Banned
2,308 Posts
A muffler shop that can't weld exhaust pipe? You need to find a new shop. As far as brazing - temps are too high in an exhaust for brazing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A muffler shop that can't weld exhaust pipe? You need to find a new shop. As far as brazing - temps are too high in an exhaust for brazing.
I know (!) This is England... a land where 'Health and Safety' has gotten outta control !

When I raced karts years ago we used to braze the exhausts but I guess that the pipes on those two stroke racing engines ran a lot cooler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts