E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well now it's been asked 757,001 times because I'm confused by the things I'm reading in my search.
Sorry...but I'm an admitted newbie that is still confused.
I did search...damn it, but there's so much CONFLICTING information on here I wanted to see if maybe asking a direct question would get a direct answer.

Example...in this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791992&highlight=m3+springs
One guy says, "don't do it...it will raise the front of your sedan and make it look like a 4x4 because the M3 is heavier."
Then someone says, "your 325i is heavier than an M3 so it will ride lower and kill your shocks."
Others suggest, "throw them in and see for yourself."

I'm still reading multiple threads, but I understand WHY this topic comes up frequently. There's so much differing opinions on if it will or won't work I just hoped someone that actually DID this would be able to possibly get some insight.

I've been offered a set of M3 springs (2002 - 70k miles) for $25 bucks, so I just wanted to see if all this confusing info might have better answers if I was asking specifically about my car vs. this 2002 M3.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So from more reading, searching, searching again, and reading again...I'm still confused.
I think I've seen where some people have done this (on a touring specifically) but they didn't just change springs it was a complete M3 suspension (springs, shocks, etc...) change-over and were happy with the results. I don't see or I missed if the springs themselves can be swapped.

I guess it's a mystery because some people say they have done it, and some say it isn't possible or will look like a 4x4 because of the extra weight, and then some say no the M3 isn't heavier than a sedan, so really...just doesn't seem worth it after all. Nevermind.
I'm sure the topic will come up again...because the results of a search are overwhelming conflicted.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Let's address the 'easy install' question.
Do you know what's involved in removing the struts and using a spring compressor to take them off? It's not simple or easy.
And even the rears require some compression to get them in or out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay...okay...idea is scrapped.
I just came upon the springs for $25 and thought it was worth looking into just in case. If the Fanatics say it's a bad idea...I can accept that. You guys have WAY more collective knowledge than I do which is why I asked. And if there are any doubters as to why I asked instead of searching...do a search on the topic and try to put yourself in the shoes of someone that does NOT know the answer already. There is a lot of conflicting information, arguments, and confusion about the issue.
No worries though...dead issue IMO.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
From the 5 seconds of searching I just did, I gather that the fronts would fit but you'd also need the struts, the strut mounts, and spring pads. Then and only then it would fit. The struts would have to be bought brand new to gain any benefit. At the end of this day, it's a useless and needlessly expensive swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.