E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to fix the "trifecta lights" issue on my 2002 BMW E46 325ci.

I've been getting a "5DF5 Internal control unit error" fault code through INPA. My control module is an MK60 ASC unit with the part number 6759075 located on the right side of the car.
The 5DF5 fault codes come back instantly after clearing the errors as do the trifecta lights, no other errors are present in the ABS system or in the car in general, I also cleaned my four wheel speed sensors and swapped the rears and think they're not the problem.

At the moment I think I have two options to fix it really, I'm looking at roughly AU$300 for a used identical part number ASC replacement from UK eBay or roughly AU$475 to ship my unit to Module Master in the US and back here to Australia. Local wreckers want AU$600+ and mechanics want $200+ to diagnose the problem even after I give them the fault code. :cautious:

I'm not sure what's the best way to go for me but I'm leaning towards the rebuild as a replacement unit with the same part number will likely have the same fault eventually.

I've been reading a lot of ABS related forum posts here and am seeing quite a few people say that 2002 unit's are pretty janky. They also suggest that it's better to replace these with later year units from a 2003-2005 car and code them to work.

Does the replacement unit need to have the same exact part number to my current one and also be an ASC unit? Or an I put a later year MK60 DSC unit in my car?

Also I think I may be able to remove it without draining my brake fluid, still trying to figure it out as there's not much RHD info out there. If anyone has any information and photos/tutorials on how to do this on a RHD model like mine I'd very much appreciate it.

I've attached some photos of my issues below.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the previous problems I've fixed through these forum posts!

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Gauge Motor vehicle
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Administrator
20,981 Posts
Congrats, you have read up, done your research, and are spot on! The 2001 MK60 control module has an even higher failure rate than the 2002. They usually are not rebuildable.

Buy a good used MK60 from a 2004+ RHD 325i/325Ci/330i/330Ci, replace yours, then code it to your car. Your 2002 has “FA” style module coding, not the pre 09/2001 “ZCS” style coding.

Hopefully there is enough room to be able to just remove the control module itself and not have to crack open brake lines or remove the ABS pump. Matching exact part number is not critical; there were many revisions through the production run and so several different part numbers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats, you have read up, done your research, and are spot on! The 2001 MK60 control module has an even higher failure rate than the 2002. They usually are not rebuildable.

Buy a good used MK60 from a 2004+ RHD 325i/325Ci/330i/330Ci, replace yours, then code it to your car. I can do the coding remotely if you like. Your 2002 has “FA” style module coding, not the pre 09/2001 “ZCS” style coding. I will find a coding guide and link it here.

Hopefully there is enough room to be able to just remove the control module itself and not have to crack open brake lines or remove the ABS pump. Matching exact part number is not critical; there were many revisions through the production run and so several different part numbers.
Fantastic thanks for that mate! I'll have a good look through that guide of yours and take you up on your offer if i can't figure out the coding myself first.

So just to confirm, would a DSC unit be compatible in my 2002 ASC equipped car?
There's some DSC units on eBay in the UK that are as cheap as $70 including shipping, the cheapest available on eBay here is $240+

Do you happen to know if this one from a 2004 sedan would work? ABS/DSC ABS PUMP & ECU MODULE 6750364 6753842 - BMW E46 3 SERIES #26 | eBay

This job started out at around $1600+ before I started to see if I could do it myself!

Here's a pic of my current unit I managed to take by squeezing my phone into a tight gap.
Cloud Wood Automotive lighting Sky Asphalt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not confident about the differences between MK20 and MK60 units but I think I have an MK60 ASC unit according to this chart from another post here as my ASC Control Module model number is 6759075. How to Diagnose 'Trifecta Lights'

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

I also took some photos from INPA, only the DSC MK60 option in the menu works, the other ASC/DSC and DSC 5.7 options throw up an error.

Rectangle Product Azure Font Line
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Pattern

I'll keep digging but I'm pretty sure I've read everything available that's in English at least haha. If anyone knows if these DSC and ASC units are interchangeable I'd appreciate hearing from you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so instead of spending $300+ on a used replacement unit, $500-$900 to have it rebuilt or likely $2000+ for a mechanic to do it all I'm going to give replacing the IC chip myself a go.
I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and have rebuilt a few 1970's amplifiers before. (Though admittedly they're much bigger on the inside)

As the chips are $3 each + $8 shipping I think it's worth a shot. I just bought three from here so I have a couple as a backup if needed haha.

A guy in these forum posts has the exact same part number ASC unit and repaired a few of them with a 9369.1D 14 pin IC

Will update this post when I have some new progress to share.

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
2,121 Posts
Wow you have done a lot of research. Very impressive, well done.

Good luck with the IC change. Maybe you should take some photos as you go and write up a DIY. It would be a great contribution to the forum and the E46 community as a whole

Let us know how it goes..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Yeah I will if it works of course.
I won't be able to post any updates for a while as it's going to take at least a month for the IC to arrive in the mail from China.
It's always good to have more info out there for these hard to troubleshoot RHD issues though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have a very specific problem with my ABS that I'm trying to solve, if anyone has any ideas I'd very much appreciate your input.

My Australian RHD 2002 BMW E46 325ci came equipped with an MK60 ASC unit, the control module has the part number 6759075.

I've removed the 2002 MK60 ASC 6759075 control module and have replaced it with a 2004 MK60 DSC 6765454 control module. The 5DF5 error seems to have gone away, but instead I now have 5E1F, 5E21, 5E20, 5E1E, and 5D8C. My trifecta lights have now changed into just an orange handbrake light and a DSC/traction control light.

Balidawg and I have been attempting to clear these errors and calibrate the steering angle sensor, the problem is that my E46 did not come equipped with a steering angle sensor. When you try and calibrate this in Tool32 it throws up the error "No response from control module"

Here's my original post of me attempting to diagnose this: 2002 E46 "5DF5 Internal control unit error" -...

So far I've only seen a few forum posts with solutions for 6759075 units, I haven't seen anyone successfully replace their MK60 ASC unit with a newer MK60 DSC unit.
I'd rather avoid replacing my ASC unit with one with an identical part number as there is only one ASC MK60 unit which was made in 2002 and it's known for failing, they are also quite expensive as I'd need to ship one in from Europe. If possible I'd rather replace this with a more reliable DSC unit from a newer model.

Here's the solutions I've seen so far:

This guy replaced his faulty ASC 6759075 unit with another with an identical part number:

This guy repaired his ASC unit by soldering a new IC onto his board: (I tried doing this and ripped off the solder pads so my original board looks irreparably damaged 😬)

Here's a post where BMW-North mentions downloading an old version of INPA with the Special Tests for E46 - Including Steering Angle Sensor Calibration. But unfortunately the download link is dead:

Anyone have any ideas?

Wood Rectangle Material property Gas Camera accessory

Gas Font Temperature Circle Audio equipment

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Rectangle Computer Font Operating system Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I will if it works of course.
I won't be able to post any updates for a while as it's going to take at least a month for the IC to arrive in the mail from China.
It's always good to have more info out there for these hard to troubleshoot RHD issues though.
And? How did it go? I have the same problem and want to repair my as well. What was your solution?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well in the end unfortunately I ended up botching the solder work and lifting a pad of the board. My solution was to swap in a replacement ASC module with the same part number from eBay. I still think this IC chip replacement would have worked but it’d need someone competent in micro-soldering.

There’s some updates in this thread.

·
Administrator
20,981 Posts
Most people buy a good used MK60 from a 2004+ E46, then code it to their car following this guide.

This company rebuilds them too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi RR43. Did you manage to find a solution to the issues? Many thanks in advance!
I ended up solving my issue by replacing my ABS control module with another identical part number ASC model. Would be keen to hear if anyone else is successful with any of these other attempts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts