E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a new transmission for my car and it is out of a 2004, the only difference im noticing is the spline shaft has more teeth. I have been struggling to find a clutch that fits in seems like everyone i ordered doesnt match up some way

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the transmission come out of another 325? The clutch should be ordered based on the transmission. That should provide the proper spline in the disc hub. 330s do have a larger diameter clutch.
So my car is the later 2002 model and the main drive spline on my transmission had if i guess like 24 teeth and the new transmission i just bought 4 hours away came out of a 2004 325 ci and looks like it has more teeth like 36 and thats what is confusing me on getting the parts and some of the clutches it says fits have this metal piece in the middle of the pressure plate that the alignment tool wont even fit through

·
Premium Member
10,900 Posts
So i got a new transmission for my car and it is out of a 2004, the only difference im noticing is the spline shaft has more teeth. I have been struggling to find a clutch that fits in seems like everyone i ordered doesnt match up some way
1. make sure the new tranny bellhousing match with the engine block
2. find the new tranny parts: clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and which one is same or different compared to your car. For example, if the new tranny needs larger clutch disk and diff PP, then make sure if it also needs diff flywheel or can use your car flywheel.
3. new tranny output flange: is the new flange the same as yours and same location in order to fit the old long drive shaft?

Should have done this homework before adopting the new dog -- tranny I mean.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts
All you need is a clutch disc for a post 09/02 car.

If the replacement transmission has more than 25 splines, it's not for a BMW. The early cars had 10 splines.

t

·
Registered
49 Posts
As mentioned, you would only need the correct 22 spline clutch kit. Bell housing bolt patterm, flywheel, pressure plate are the same. The throwout bearing might be specific, though, as a function of the input shaft guide tube being different.

The later model 22 spline shaft causes some headaches if you want do run a non-stock clutch setup. There's more options for the 10 spline stuff out there. Take it from me, my car has the 22 spline input shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As mentioned, you would only need the correct 22 spline clutch kit. Bell housing bolt patterm, flywheel, pressure plate are the same. The throwout bearing might be specific, though, as a function of the input shaft guide tube being different.

The later model 22 spline shaft causes some headaches if you want do run a non-stock clutch setup. There's more options for the 10 spline stuff out there. Take it from me, my car has the 22 spline input shaft.
So i noticed the clutch kits that have 22 spline say for 6 speed is there actually a major difference from 5 to 6 for the clutch or is it universal?

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
5 and 6-speeds have different flywheels...the pilot bearing is installed in the flywheel on the 6-speed among other differences.

I believe they also have different clutch discs and pressure plates...but haven't looked at them side by side.

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
Unless you have a 6-speed transmission, use a 5-speed flywheel and clutch. I can't explain the spline differences you are seeing, unless the 5-speed trans in the face-lift 325ci was different.

and in the unlikely event you are trying to use a 6-speed, you will have pblms using it in your 2002 325ci due to driveshaft length, connection to rear diff, etc.

I am little surprised you are having this much difficulty matching the '04 trans to your '02 car. Spending a little time on RealOEM, FCP Euro (whether you buy from them or not) and this forum should clear it all up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unless you have a 6-speed transmission, use a 5-speed flywheel and clutch. I can't explain the spline differences you are seeing, unless the 5-speed trans in the face-lift 325ci was different.

and in the unlikely event you are trying to use a 6-speed, you will have pblms using it in your 2002 325ci due to driveshaft length, connection to rear diff, etc.

I am little surprised you are having this much difficulty matching the '04 trans to your '02 car. Spending a little time on RealOEM, FCP Euro (whether you buy from them or not) and this forum should clear it all up.
no so its a 5 speed trans out of the 2004 but has a 22 spline shaft, when i look up a clutch kit for the 2004 5 speed it shows clutches with same 22 teeth spline but says "only for 6 speed"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts