BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously owned a 2001 BMW 330i. Here it is before I sold it:

This car was a learning experience for me, some may like some may not. It was automatic, which left me in search of a manual BMW. I did not know how to drive manual so I drove the 2001 330i for approximately 11 months and close to 20,000 miles, and as you may have guessed, tons of maintenance. I soon bought this off of copart:

It is a 2002 330i with a five speed manual and natural brown interior. The car needed some suspension work as well as body work. I fixed it enough so that it was drivable and learned how to drive it, then sold my alpine white 330i. I lowered the car using springs from the old car and bought some wheels locally with new tires. I also added a csl trunk and a M3 replica bumper. Ive been driving the car like this for the past 6 months and close to 10,000 miles:

Yes, the fender, bumper, and the trunk are primered, and the hood was painted under a tarp in the backyard. I had plans for the car since I bought it and didn't want to make it proper until I had done all that I wanted. I became busy as I opened up a shop, where I part out cars, work on cars, and recover salvaged cars. I also detail cars, and repair computers, cell phones, game consoles, and what not. I used my car primarily to go to school, but made quite a few long distance trips and performed maintenance so that it would not give me problems. 10,000 miles later I finally bought a salvaged 2004 m3 so that I could go on with my plans. Here it is coming last week:

I finally parked my car in the shop today and am going to work on it in the coming weeks. Will update this thread as I make progress!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Nice man, I'm in Charlotte as well. Looking forward to seeing this build. Did you get the m3 off of copart?

And where's your shop? PM me that if you want.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't get to spend much time today at the shop. Turns out I have actually driven close to 15,000 miles in the past 7 months as opposed to the above stated 10,000. I had gotten the car with 95,468 miles. Today I worked for two hours and then had to leave. Took off pretty much the entire front end, SAP, windshield washer reservoir, airbox, unplugged most wires and unbolted the seats while I still had power. Here are some pics:

Still have to vacuum out the A/C system and drain the radiator and all other fluids. Have class in the evening tomorrow so not sure how much work I will get done, but will update if I make progress. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Nice, keep posting your progress.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made quite a bit of progress today! Took out the engine and transmission, and stripped most of the interior. Here are some pics:

Here are some of the other cars I am parting out right now:
2003 G35 -- pretty much ready to be scrapped

2003 325i

1997 328ci

Spring break has started so should be able to put more hours into the car throughout this week. Will try to get most of the car done by next friday! We will see how it goes!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sub'd. Nice! Love the entrepreneur mentality.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sub'd. Build sounds great, it's exactly what I want to do to my 330.
Alp330ine, I'm in Charlotte too. PM if you want an extra pair of hands.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate all of the kind words! Spent all day in Greenville and Spartanburg today, went and bought a 1977 Datsun 280z, that will be be restored/modded, once I finish the sedan. It has quite a bit of rust, but nothing is ever non-repairable. Will post pics of the Z as soon as the car is towed to the shop!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is some mid-day progress, well more like 3/4 day progress. Taking a break for lunch since had a couple of customers and been working on my car. Here are some pics of what i've done so far today:

First, I took off the subframe and all of the other accessories that were dropped with the engine/transmission:

Then I took out the entire rear suspension in one shot and am now separating the rest of the stuff off of it:

And now to my current daily driver, until my car is finished:

The more I drive the IS300 the more I miss the E46, there is a huge quality difference as well as drivability.

I'm about to head back to the shop and get some more work in before another customer arrives, will update the thread later on tonight. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Great thread OP! How is running a shop and going to school? Must be hard yeah?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate it! I'm 18 and am dual enrolled in high school and college. Last semester I was taking all college classes and 18 credits, this semester i'm taking 16 college credits and AP English 4 which takes a lot of time. I pretty much run the shop by myself and my dad comes for a few hours over the weekend to help organize lol. It gets pretty tough, but its not too bad, I've had a shop out of my house for working on technology since I was in 7th grade so I have gotten pretty good at managing my time. The toughest, yet very enjoyable part about my whole operation is probably the amount of time I spend on the road, on average I drive 120-150 miles a day and pretty much during the traffic hours. Not trying to tell my whole life story here just letting you guys know a little about me lol!

And here's where I finished off the day today:

Now it's time to go home!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Lol, jealous, aren't we?
OP runs a shop and a business. That's worth more than a salvaged E46 and an IS300.

OP, props for your work. This is going to be a great experience for you in the future. Just try to get your priorities straight and spend more time and effort on those things that will matter more in a long run. I am telling you this because I'm over twice your age and still find it hard to do.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts