BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My current situation is that I have a really solid 2004 ZHP but needed a wagon. The ZHP is up for sale and have started working on the Touring. The goals are twofold.... replace the ZHP but not the fun, and improve where necessary but not devolve into an uncomfortable beast. The suspension brake and steering upgrades will go first. Engine and drive line will be second, the interior will be last as it may prove the hardest to locate and mine is near perfect, just gray.

Mods planned:

Suspension / Steering / Brakes:
OEM:
ZHP control arms and steering rack (E46M3 rack as a 2nd choice)
330i brakes ft and rear
330 rear trailing arms and spindle assemblies

Upgrades:
FK adjustable coil overs (purchased)
Camber plates (purchased)
Rogue Engineering RSM's
Turner E46 swaybars (purchased)
Akebono ceramic pads
Hawk Talon rotors
SS brake lines
Powerflex RTAB's
Rogue Engineering FCAB's

Body
OEM:
Headlight covers
White rear brake assemblies
Corner and side markers
MTECH2 front bumper (Purchased)

Upgrades:
Wrap roof in black vinyl (covers de-laminating clear coat)
ZHP style front bumper
LED yellow fogs
Lamin-X all front lighting
Clear bra front of hood and bumper

Engine/Driveline:
3.0l engine
Rogue Exhaust
6 speed transmission
Valeo SM clutch conversion
3.38 differential w LSD
Rogue shifter

Interior / electronics:
Convert to black
ZHP weighted shift knob
Enfig kit with Sony HU
Speakers
Custom wrapped steering wheel

Wheels - I have a set of square 135's but they will most likely go with the ZHP when it sells, any ideas??

As purchased

With the ZHP wheels and bike rack

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can't see the pictures on the mobile site, but I'm excited to see where this build goes. Id love to build a red wagon, but my steel blue will have to do.

As for wheels, it's just up to you what is more important. Those 135s are boat anchors but they look sick when paired with a ZHP'd up body. Not much that looks better IMHO on a factory option unless you're going to flare the fenders.

If you're not going pure ZHP clone, I'd look aftermarket for a lighter option.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,487 Posts
Google photos doesn't really play nicely with forums. There's a trick but I'm not really familiar with it since I don't use it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would highly suggest ditching the poly RTABs and install ball joints from CMP Auto Engineering or Syncro Design Works.

What camber plates did you go with?
I have run bearings in my race cars (Ground Control) it's cool to articulate the suspension by had since they move so easily. NVH for me, are an issue in street cars but the RTAB's may not transmit as much as the sub frame and differential bushings etc. And if they do, are easily replaced though. The camber plates I bought are sort of an experiment. I have GC hybrid plates in my ZHP but I am trying these:

https://shop.redline360.com/products/godspeed-camber-caster-plates-bmw-e36-e36-m3-front-1992-1999-mss-the02?variant=21292524240976&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjwhOD0BRAQEiwAK7JHmBeUk7IymyJdHnuSXYoqA0KHha_IJsrW2cJ-gRiSBj2Qz-iioqPy4xoCJfkQAvD_BwE

I am having the insert machined due to the 14mm shaft on my new struts. I designed camber plates for our race cars so I know the cost of production, these were reasonably priced as such.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have run bearings in my race cars (Ground Control) it's cool to articulate the suspension by had since they move so easily. NVH for me, are an issue in street cars but the RTAB's may not transmit as much as the sub frame and differential bushings etc. And if they do, are easily replaced though.
My issue with Poly here is they only allow movement in one plane and the trailing arm articulates in two planes. I have not observed much if any NVH increase from rubber to these. I'd wager the NVH increase from a poly FCAB is more than RTAB/J.

And with that said those camber plate bearings are going to be harsh as well vs a OE rubber mount. Do you have any plans to help isolate them as well? I wonder how long the bearings will last, but if they are durable that is a very reasonable price for what looks like a good part considering GC and Vorshlag are over double that price.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
She's going in for new paint on the bumpers (front will be an MTech2) and a clear coat repair tomorrow - last shot before I take her apart :(

Should I repair the paint on the roof or cover in black vinyl?

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,487 Posts
Still can't see your pics. I notice that that one isn't Google for hosting but it still isn't working.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't see either picture as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can see the initial 2 photos, but not the most recent. The 135s look awesome, but I'm really a fan of the 96s that came stock on our sport wagons. Decent size and reasonably light.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,497 Posts
I did the black interior swap on my touring in January. I wanted all-black, no shitty grey headliner or pillars. Getting them reupholstered was very satisfying!

Getting replacement black parts was hard. Grab handles, etc. If you decide to go with a black headliner, I have the cargo net hooks in black. I bought them and had them shipped from England, then got impatient and had mine stripped and powder-coated. They were the hardest pieces to source.

Except every piece of tailgate trim, only because it is made of lies and deceit, and cracks when you look at it...

My build here:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1270189

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did the black interior swap on my touring in January. I wanted all-black, no shitty grey headliner or pillars. Getting them reupholstered was very satisfying!

Getting replacement black parts was hard. Grab handles, etc. If you decide to go with a black headliner, I have the cargo net hooks in black. I bought them and had them shipped from England, then got impatient and had mine stripped and powder-coated. They were the hardest pieces to source.

Except every piece of tailgate trim, only because it is made of lies and deceit, and cracks when you look at it...

My build here:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1270189
Ran through your build... Despite all my experience I’m going to need some guidance on the touring! My interior will go last since I’m as anal as you are. Perfect or I’d rather leave it alone...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just disassembled and reassembled all of the exterior tailgate trim and the lower interior tailgate trim, so let me know if you have questions about the parts or process. I was able to not disturb the upper interior trim that is so risky. And it is currently very fresh in my mind.

I was almost able to save the painted handle cover, but not quite. Anyway the handle frame was broken and it all comes together and I was getting paint done anyway, so that worked out.

I only have the bumper brackets and trim left to reinstall - hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I was almost able to save the painted handle cover, but not quite. Anyway the handle frame was broken and it all comes together and I was getting paint done anyway, so that worked out.
These are so fragile and cheap to buy new, I would recommend just getting a new one painted.

·
Registered
442 Posts
These are so fragile and cheap to buy new, I would recommend just getting a new one painted.
Yes, they really are tough to both assemble and disassemble from the plastic handle frame. If I wasn't getting paint anyway and now that I have done one I would be able to save it with a little luck.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts