E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My white backup lights don't go on in reverse. Also, in reverse, the passenger rear view mirror doesn't move down to aid in parking. The mirror CAN be moved to the down position with the switches on the driver armrest! These problems are new. Is it possible that these two situations are related and, if so, caused by a faulty switch on the shift mechanism near the transmission? Also, I have an aftermarket short shifter from UUC!!
Thanks for your comments. Harveyj

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had my rear brake lights fixed by the dealer under a recall for most e46's. Apparently lots of rear break light failures seen as a safety concern. They didn't replace the light assembly, the mechanic manager told me the fix is to add a ground wire somewhere, which may be a potential cause of your backup lights going out also. Might be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
339 Posts
For the mirrors to automatically move down when you shift to reverse, the side selector switch for the mirror controls has to be on driver's side. It's possible you left it on the passenger side, so it's not reacting to the reverse gear selection..

For the light, do you see a bulb-out warning? Do the other lights in that assembly work? Could be part of the ground wire recall, could be something else, could be a blown bulb, could be a fuse..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.