E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2002, BMW 330i
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up my 2002 330i with a manual transmission back in May of this year, driving home from work tonight I went into neutral going down a hill and then as I went back into gear (third gear @ 35 mph) as I reached the next hill. As I gave her a little gas she stuttered and then she dropped to maybe 6-700 rpms so I let off and when given gas again she dropped to just below 500 rpms. Once I got to the bottom of the hill I turned on the hazards and came to a stop, she would crank but not start, after 5 minutes I tried to turn her over again and she started but had a really low idle maybe 5-600 rpms and when attempted to rev it up she dropped and died. Thankfully when this happened two or 3 cars behind me was a very nice middle-aged woman with a newer BMW SUV came and paid for it to be towed to my place. I have work on Friday so I'd like to figure this out by tomorrow night, Ill post a startup video tomorrow as well as keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
2002, BMW 330i
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a bad fuel pump. Measure the fuel pressure at the rail, should be 50 PSI.
That was my first thought, then I started to think about other common issues like pump nut and vacuum leaks. I was just checking Bimmerfest forums (e46 fanatics is my preferred forum but desperate measures have desperate answers) and someone was asking about fuel pump failure issues and another person said not starting, running lean, and dying when driving as well as some other things are common signs. after seeing that I had to come check for replies, will keep you updated thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
picked up my 2002 330i with a manual transmission back in May of this year, driving home from work tonight I went into neutral going down a hill and then as I went back into gear (third gear @ 35 mph) as I reached the next hill. As I gave her a little gas she stuttered and then she dropped to maybe 6-700 rpms so I let off and when given gas again she dropped to just below 500 rpms. Once I got to the bottom of the hill I turned on the hazards and came to a stop, she would crank but not start, after 5 minutes I tried to turn her over again and she started but had a really low idle maybe 5-600 rpms and when attempted to rev it up she dropped and died. Thankfully when this happened two or 3 cars behind me was a very nice middle-aged woman with a newer BMW SUV came and paid for it to be towed to my place. I have work on Friday so I'd like to figure this out by tomorrow night, Ill post a startup video tomorrow as well as keep you guys updated.
Sounds like your fuel pump died.

Try listening to it prime as you turn the key to position 1 or 2 (can't remember). If there are no sounds coming from the back seat, there's your answer.

The VDO brand is pretty good. Also, it is highly suggested that you replace your fuel filter at the same time as the fuel pump. There's PLENTY of vids on YouTube to assist you in replacing both, so any DIYer can do it.

Reactions: RRRM8E and MrMCar

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,116 Posts
You could have been just low on fuel and not known it because the fuel sender is gunked up...or otherwise failed.

Could be many other things too. Not that it isn't the fuel pump, but I'd confirm through investigation on the car...not 'just' here. :)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Like he said. Fcpeuro has you covered. Just not some ebay special.
Lift the rear seat and expose pump top. Look at hose clamp. If crimped, its likely original. Anything past 75k is suspect, 100k moreso.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
8,368 Posts
Sounds like your fuel pump died.

Try listening to it prime as you turn the key to position 1 or 2 (can't remember). If there are no sounds coming from the back seat, there's your answer.

The VDO brand is pretty good. Also, it is highly suggested that you replace your fuel filter at the same time as the fuel pump. There's PLENTY of vids on YouTube to assist you in replacing both, so any DIYer can do it.
Agree and I prefer to diagnose FIRST, then repair.

·
Registered
2001 330i (5-speed)
2,637 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
any suggestions for a specific fuel pump recommended?
You didn't mention your mileage. If you have more than 100k miles on the original Fuel Pump, it's probably the culprit. One way to determine if your FP is the original one is to inspect it - if it's filthy dirty and has one of those 'pressed on single use clamps', it's likely the original FP.

As for replacing it, it's a simply DIY and best done when the tank has as little fuel as possible. As others have mentioned, a Siemens/VDO pump is OEM and should be used but hey, one of those $35 EBay FP's will work too - but for how long is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
2002, BMW 330i
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You didn't mention your mileage. If you have more than 100k miles on the original Fuel Pump, it's probably the culprit. One way to determine if your FP is the original one is to inspect it - if it's filthy dirty and has one of those 'pressed on single use clamps', it's likely the original FP.

As for replacing it, it's a simply DIY and best done when the tank has as little fuel as possible. As others have mentioned, a Siemens/VDO pump is OEM and should be used but hey, one of those $35 EBay FP's will work too - but for how long is anyone's guess.
Odometer currently reads 184k miles, I need it back on the road asap so I found a local guy on marketplace with a brand new Bosch unit, I'll order the vdo unit as well and just install it next Thursday maybe.. how hard would it be with one hand? I broke my finger with a tire machine so I'm going to be doing this one handed.

Fuel tank is just below 3/4. How low does it need to be? Why does it need to be low?
Thanks

·
Registered
2002, BMW 330i
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ye
You could have been just low on fuel and not known it because the fuel sender is gunked up...or otherwise failed.

Could be many other things too. Not that it isn't the fuel pump, but I'd confirm through investigation on the car...not 'just' here. :)
Yeah I plan to check everything out later this morning, last night I couldn't do much so I just wanted to confirm it was the fuel pump because I assumed it was immediately.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
You may need to loosen the locking ring with a hammer and screw driver.
Lift back seat and look at clamp on pump hose. If crimped, likely original pump so I'd replace anyway and see if that was the problem. If bosch pump is new I wouldnt be replacing it next week.
Full tank may overflow when pump comes out. 3/4 may be ok.

·
Registered
2001 330i (5-speed)
2,637 Posts
I need it back on the road asap so I found a local guy on marketplace with a brand new Bosch unit, I'll order the vdo unit as well and just install it next Thursday maybe.. how hard would it be with one hand? I broke my finger with a tire machine so I'm going to be doing this one handed.
If you need it back on the road ASAP, then get a shop to fix it.

Fuel tank level is a big myth.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Fuel tank level is NOT a big myth- IF you've just filled up, the fuel level will be RIGHT at the top
of the threads on level ground. Tilted slightly, you can dump up to a gallon out of the thing.

Anything off the 'full' mark should be fine.

And yes, changing the pump is a one- hand- behind- your- back sort of job.... if that's your thing, I guess.
As to changing the filter, it's a good idea, but do it after your finger heals. It's far more difficult than the pump.

But yes, confirm it's the pump. I do that by pulling the back seat and listening for it, and if I don't hear it,
or it sounds like it's pumping gravel, it's dead. Otherwise, a quick pressure check is called for-
the Horror Fright kit works well enough.

hth,
t

Reactions: All2kool
1 - 20 of 28 Posts