BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2002 330ci is having locking/unlocking issues with key and remote.
Here is what it does and does not do:
  • The vehicle will lock and unlock both doors with the central locking button on the console with both doors closed.
  • The vehicle will NOT lock and unlock both doors with the central locking button on the console with the drivers door open.
  • The key in the door cylinder will lock and unlock the drivers door at a 90 degree rotation to unlock or lock direction.
  • The key in the door cylinder will turn on the interior lights at a 45 degree rotation to unlock.
  • The key in the door cylinder will very rarely unlock both the drivers and passengers door at a 45 degree rotation to unlock. It seems to happen on a cold, damp night only. It will NEVER LOCK BOTH DOORS.
Neither one of the two remotes will lock or unlock the car or open the trunk.
I ordered batteries and popped one key open and the battery in the key had 3v so it was still good.

I have tried programming the keys as so:
With the drivers door open (and closed) and both doors unlocked (and locked)
1. Put key in ignition and rotate to position 1 (ACC) then off.
2. Remove key, press and hold unlock button and press lock button 3 times, then release both.

1. Put key in ignition and rotate to position 1 (ACC) then off 5 times.
2. Remove key, press and hold unlock button and press lock button 3 times, then release both.

1. While holding the unlock button, Put key in ignition and rotate to position 1 (ACC) then off.
2. Remove key, still holding the unlock button and press lock button 3 times, then release both.

1. While holding the unlock button, Put key in ignition and rotate to position 1 (ACC) then off 5 times.
2. Remove key, still holding the unlock button and press lock button 3 times, then release both.

When trying to program I have tried different pressing and holding and releasing. Once the seat moved that tells me its receiving some kind of signal.
I even had it where after the doors were closed and the interior lights timed out and turned off, I could lock the car or open the trunk, but never unlock.

Nothing is working now on the remotes or when turning the key in the door (besides the lights at 45 and unlocking the drivers door only mechanically at 90 degrees)..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suggest visiting this site - comprehensive information including fault finding tips. I have used this guy in the past and his work was always very satisfactory.

BMWGM5.com

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
Instructions for syncing the remotes are very simple. The doors just need to be closed. They can not be open and locked or unlocked makes no difference. Once the doors are closed you can begin the procedure and that procedure is in my BMW’s owners manual under putting a new key into service. I have scanned the page and posted it here www.bmwgm5.com/key_recode.htm

The remotes very well could both be bad and the problem is usually not because the battery is dead. The battery used in these remotes was chosen for the properties of the chemistry. Very long life, very low self discharge. They are designed to last a very long time. Now I’m not saying the remotes don’t go bad. They most certainly break and need repair, but, not because the battery is dead and no longer holds a charge.

To your 2nd asterisk. The doors are not supposed to lock, via the central locking button, when the drivers door is ajar. That is perfectly normal. I believe that the doors will unlock via the central locking button if you close the doors, lock via the central locking button and then double pulled the drivers door inside handle. Now with the drivers door ajar pressing the central locking button should unlock the locked passenger door. It will only do this on the first press of the button, but, it should unlock.

To your fifth asterisk. The intermittent unlocking when using the key in the drivers door turned to the 45 degrees point is a bad general control module or GM5.

To your third asterisk. The doors should lock with the key in the drivers door when turned to the 45 degree point. It is strange that it doesn’t. I suspect that it might be a bad drivers door lock actuator (because the door lock actuator has the sensors for detecting when it’s turned). Or it could be a bad GM5, but, I rarely ever see them go bad for locking. In the last 10 years I’ve seen a few come in for repair for locking issues, but, the vast majority of the GM5 I receive come in due to unlocking problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Instructions for syncing the remotes are very simple. The doors just need to be closed. They can not be open and locked or unlocked makes no difference. Once the doors are closed you can begin the procedure and that procedure is in my BMW***8217;s owners manual under putting a new key into service. I have scanned the page and posted it here www.bmwgm5.com/key_recode.htm

The remotes very well could both be bad and the problem is usually not because the battery is dead. The battery used in these remotes was chosen for the properties of the chemistry. Very long life, very low self discharge. They are designed to last a very long time. Now I***8217;m not saying the remotes don***8217;t go bad. They most certainly break and need repair, but, not because the battery is dead and no longer holds a charge.

To your 2nd asterisk. The doors are not supposed to lock, via the central locking button, when the drivers door is ajar. That is perfectly normal. I believe that the doors will unlock via the central locking button if you close the doors, lock via the central locking button and then double pulled the drivers door inside handle. Now with the drivers door ajar pressing the central locking button should unlock the locked passenger door. It will only do this on the first press of the button, but, it should unlock.

To your fifth asterisk. The intermittent unlocking when using the key in the drivers door turned to the 45 degrees point is a bad general control module or GM5.

To your third asterisk. The doors should lock with the key in the drivers door when turned to the 45 degree point. It is strange that it doesn***8217;t. I suspect that it might be a bad drivers door lock actuator (because the door lock actuator has the sensors for detecting when it***8217;s turned). Or it could be a bad GM5, but, I rarely ever see them go bad for locking. In the last 10 years I***8217;ve seen a few come in for repair for locking issues, but, the vast majority of the GM5 I receive come in due to unlocking problems.

Thank you for this insight.

I feel the key locking and unlocking is the door lock actuator and the remote is another issue entirely.

It sucks that replacement of the actuator is such a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I decided to check all of the central locking related fuses. When I pulled the first on (5A), the interior lights turned off. When I put it back in I heard a click. I removed and checked all the rest of them. All fuses were ok.
I had perform a power window initialization, no problem.

BUT, now my central locking button inside of the car DOES NOT WORK. It worked that day and in fact, I used it to unlock the passengers door to get in to check the fuses.

The trunk release button works still. What the heck happened?

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
Make sure the doors are closed when you push the central locking button.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
Okay. You didn’t touch anything else? Just checked a few fuses and put them back in the exact same place. Door locks work via the remote and key in the drivers keyhole, but, just don’t work from the central locking button? Then it must be a bad button.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
The locking button can come apart. This causes the button not to work. It’s an easy repair if your car has a manual transmission as all you have to do is remove the shifter boot and push the switch upwards. My switch came apart after about 10 years of ownership. Popped it out and use md Gorilla glue to keep it together.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I checked the fuses, I put one back in an empty spot. Moved it back, interior switch locks and unlocks the doors.

Still cant program remotes, or lock/unlock both doors with the physical key, only drivers door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts