BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Was driving home from work a few days ago and got stuck in some standstill traffic. Was not really paying much attention, until I looked up and noticed my temp guage was lit up (yes, I didn't notice until the light was on). I immediately turned off my car but didn't have a place to pullover. I had to start the car maybe 4 times to keep up with traffic; I would turn it on for about 5 seconds to move, and each time the temp was still high but the light wasn't on. Then after about 5 minutes I turned the car on and left it on, and the temp gauge slowly fell all the way back to normal in the range of about 20 seconds. I drove the car all the way home after that, about 20 minutes with no issues at all.

I heard a noise I can only describe as 'farty' when I started my car, but it might just be me overreacting. The engine sounds totally normal once it is running. I can't get a clip of the startup sound right now unfortunately.

Any ideas on what might have happened, what damage might have occurred and how I can make sure it doesn't happen again? Thanks in advance for any insights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like fan or waterpump. My last waterpump died, and would start to overheat until I would get the rpms up. Did your coolant light come on?
Yeah it would make sense that it's either of those. Interesting that it would overheat until the rpms rise, it's possible that's what happened with me as I was sitting still for a good 5 minutes. My coolant light did not come on.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Sounds like your fan failed. Check your coolant temp and make sure it doesn't exceed 100. . In the car turn the key to position 2, hold the trip reset button on your cluster (the left one) until you see "test 1". When "test 1" pops up, keep clicking until 19. When you reach test 19, stop clicking until you see "test 19.0". Now click once and it'll go back to test 1. Keep clicking until test 7

·
Registered
953 Posts
Certainly do diagnostics first, but yeah, sounds like you electric fan to me. Look for info by BMWnorth for detailed info on this. If you have auto transmission, consider the "electric fan mod" before directly replacing. This replaces both electric and mechanical fans with single electric fan from the manual tran cars. Sure makes it easier to work on the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts