E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E46, BMW 325i Sedan, M54B25 Engine, GM 5L40E Auto Transmission, Sports Package
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, new to this forum but have been researching this issue for some time now as its very hard to consistently replicate.

At a high level, I have a no crank no start issue but its intermittent. It all started with a delayed start issue. I would turn the key to position 3 and the car would crank and then start 1/2 second later. This continued for a few days and eventually it wouldn't crank at all. Basically I would hear two clicks from front which sounded like relays engaging sort of noise when I move the key to position 3.

Towed it to my Indy shop and at first he suggested replace the starter. But I have new Bosch starter which is less than 1.5 years and 15K miles old. So then Indy shop suggested to replace the battery. I obliged even though I wasnt 100% convinced. But since I knew the existing battery was a 540CCA (long story how that happened) decided to go for a new AGM 740CCA BCI size 94 battery. Also asked Indy shop to pinch the BST terminal together (I actually have a air bag warning on dash). Total damage $300.

Got the car back home and immediately at the next start-up the delayed crank/start came back. Continued for for days without any issues, when at a gas station after a fill-up the car wouldnt start again. 30min into waiting for tow to arrive, I hold the key onto position 3 and a car suddenly does a delayed start. Drove it back home without daring to shut it down again.

Later that night I pulled the codes and I had two misfire codes on cyl 2 and 5 (P1345, P1351), EVAP Small leak (P0456) and a P0604 (ECM Memory fault). However, the car started normally, so I reset all the codes.

Based on my research I found the following could be the causes

1) Failing ignition switch
2) EWS parity check issue. --- I only have one key
However, the P0604 code has me worried and probably should be added to the list of possible causes as well.

I will be taking the car back to the indy shop and get their opinion again. Need to get one of the window regulators and power mirrors fixed anyway. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. BTW, its an automatic

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
You definitely need to buy a second key. The dealer with the best price for a key is a thebmwminipartsstore in Cincinnati. You’ll need to send them a picture of your drivers license and a picture of the car’s registration. Make sure the car’s vehicle identification number is clearly visible.
Does you shop specialize in bimmers. If not, go to www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area. The shop will have all of the proprietary BMW software to properly scan all of the computers in the car. I’m betting the culprit is the key.

·
Registered
2002 E46, BMW 325i Sedan, M54B25 Engine, GM 5L40E Auto Transmission, Sports Package
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Markus, I bought one (part no. 66126955748) for $174 plus shipping and sent them my DL and Registration info.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,774 Posts
If you haven't yet, check your connections to make sure they're clean and tight...starting from the battery. Pull up on the clamps to make sure...and check the + terminal under the hood.

...and for grins, use your cluster display or mulitmeter to see your voltages when the car is off (and on).

Finally, you can do the window regulator yourself pretty easily. $50 regulators or so at FCP euro...and an hour of reading...and hour of doing...plus or minus. After that, you'll see you can do your mirror, too. :)

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Basically I would hear two clicks from front which sounded like relays engaging sort of noise when I move the key to position 3.
Did you hear the two clicks without any delay when key turned to position 3, or this also was delayed?
If no delay to hear the clicks then I would think the starter received the command signals without delay, but it didn't have enough power to crank the engine until some delays.

You didn't mention the shop checked for battery charging condition -- meaning alternator , battery cable connections at fender jumper posts and at starter connection. Too much resistance at connections can cause weak starter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you hear the two clicks without any delay when key turned to position 3, or this also was delayed?
The first click of the two click came within half second of turning key to position 3 so I would say almost no delay. The second click was also pretty much within half a second of the first click

You didn't mention the shop checked for battery charging condition
You didn't mention the shop checked for battery charging condition
All the indy shop said was that the battery is showing "bad". I didnt inquire about the details as much since I knew it wasnt right right Cold Crank Amp rated battery to begin with. However, the battery was probably about two years old.

Finally, you can do the window regulator yourself pretty easily. $50 regulators or so at FCP euro...and an hour of reading...and hour of doing...plus or minus. After that, you'll see you can do your mirror, too.
I saw couple of videos on the regulator and wasnt too confident doing it alone. There are lots of bolts, wires etc. As for the power window, I have tried to diagnose it from the switch on the door, no luck.

The car has started every time since the last time it didnt which is almost a week back now. The new key is on order.

Has anyone ever tried a mail-in DME repair/fix service? I saw on websites starting at $200-$300 on fixing Siemens MS43 DME for errors such as Misfires, P0604 memory issue etc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Recently the car started having delayed start again. I am just praying that it doesnt fail completely again. I will have the new key delivered to me tomorrow so fingers crossed.

What I have observed is that the delayed start has some sort of uncanny coincidence with the amount gas in the tank. The last time it had failed completely i.e. when I was so close to getting it towed but eventually it decided to crank up was when I had filled it up with gas. This time the delayed start happened when the gas was exact half a tank.
I know some of you experts probably feel I am out of my mind but unless this new key solves the problem, I dont know what else to look at. Maybe the only other option is to get the DME sent for repairs.

More updates once I sync the new key.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update after a few months. The problem still remains with the new key. The issue is definitely related to being how hot it is outside. Now that the temperature is is getting warmer, I am having the issue more frequently. The other day I was at a tire shop and it was parked outside and it wouldnt crank. After the car got pulled inside it started within 20 minutes. I just cannot explain what is going on. Is there any temperature sensor that could cause this to not start? I do have the following engine codes P1093, P0174, P0171, P1351, P306 but I would think the car should still start. The other issue which I just found out is the coolant is low, at cold the float is all the way floored.

Any ideas? I am supposed to drop of the car at the stealership next week for a airbag recall maybe they can diagnose it and charge me as much as the car is worth to fix it. 😀

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,542 Posts
Just read through this entire thread. You haven’t really done any troubleshooting. Read our No Start Guide.

Use BMW Scanner 1.4 to view the EWS live data and see which signal is not allowing the starter to crank the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just bought the scanner from Amazon for $28 and a new ignition (just in case).

I read that PA Soft needs Windows XP but I am going to follow instruction from BMW Driver Kit to get it installed on my windows 10 even though the scanner comes with a CD for the software, it says it only works on Windows XP. Plus I dont have a CD drive on my laptop anyway. Lets see what the Live data shows once I hook it up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuel pump has been replaced in the last year. I havent checked for fuel pressure at the fuel rail yet but I can hear the fuel pump priming every time I turn the key to position 2. Last night around 9pm when the temperature went down to 62F the car started right back up, no hesitation. I have the BMW Scanner coming in tomorrow and also borrowing a friends Autel scanner but the weather forecast is low and may not be favorable to reproduce the error. I know I am sounding a bit crazy but that is that is one correlation that I am sure of by now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I took my car to BMW to get the passenger side airbag recall done and they reported they couldn't start the car either. Advisor mentioned that it only started after hitting the starter. I replaced my starter in July 2018 with Bosch part from Amazon and looks like it needs to be replaced again. What a bummer!! Even though I know the procedure, the last time I tried the car would crank but not start and had to call in the mechanic so I am a bit nervous. Anyway with the intake off, I am thinking what else I should replace/inspect. If anybody has an writeup on important components to replace/check with the intake off it will be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of the following:

1) Both intake boots
2) crankshaft sensor
3) clean idle control valve
4) test DISA
5) test coolant lines underneath the intake

The dealer is charging $350 with core return for the starter or I can go with FCP who provides lifetime warranty for another Bosch starter for around $170. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New starter, not reman. FYI.
oh you bet! The last one I bought was also advertised as new and that one lasted 20K miles with 2 years of service.
Amazon Link for my last purchase (dont buy from these guys)
FCP Link for the ones I am going to go for

They look virtually the same from the outside.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,548 Posts
oh you bet! The last one I bought was also advertised as new and that one lasted 20K miles with 2 years of service.
Amazon Link for my last purchase (dont buy from these guys)
FCP Link for the ones I am going to go for

They look virtually the same from the outside.
I'd agree with your assessment. The number is Bosch: SR-0448-N
I was hoping the Amazon link would include country of manufacture. As it often comes up. It did not.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
So I took my car to BMW to get the passenger side airbag recall done and they reported they couldn't start the car either. Advisor mentioned that it only started after hitting the starter. I replaced my starter in July 2018 with Bosch part from Amazon and looks like it needs to be replaced again. What a bummer!! Even though I know the procedure, the last time I tried the car would crank but not start and had to call in the mechanic so I am a bit nervous. Anyway with the intake off, I am thinking what else I should replace/inspect. If anybody has an writeup on important components to replace/check with the intake off it will be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of the following:

1) Both intake boots
2) crankshaft sensor
3) clean idle control valve
4) test DISA
5) test coolant lines underneath the intake

The dealer is charging $350 with core return for the starter or I can go with FCP who provides lifetime warranty for another Bosch starter for around $170. Any suggestions?
Try searching links at top of page for list.
FCP is going to be cheaper and has lifetimw warranty (which would have been handy now).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update: So I did get my starter from FCP this time and hired hired a local drive-to-you mechanic to switch out the starter from yourmechanic.com but the guy arrived and called me back to say he is not confident to work on a e46. I was fairly mad, since he knew for 5 days that it was a 2002 325i sedan and I had to get this no start issue resolved before my trip to Florida.

I a took a big risk and drove to Florida from Kansas City last weekend, which deserves its own thread. However, as it relates to this thread, I didnt get stuck at all in the 2.5 day 1450 miles journey partly because it was raining all the way till south Georgia on day one and two and on day three I woke up at 5am to start the car before the sun came up and didnt stop it till I reached my destination. So I never let the car stop under bright sun or even if I did, I ensure that weather outside was never hot (<65F) in all cases.

Fast forward to today when I purposefully parked my car in the sun to do some tests and ofcourse the car wouldnt crank. So far I have used the BMW scanner and EWS live data to see below. Question is what does this mean? Does it mean that my EWS-DME is faulty which is very possible because on my way to Florida I had misfires every 100 miles sometimes up to all 6 cylinders. The live data shows

"Starter Enabled" = Red
"Status Password" = Yellow, Wrong Password
"Status, random code" = Yellow, Wrong Random Code
Status DME/DDE Wire = Red (Blocked)
Terminal R(wire) = Red Off

All I need to know if its the DME/EWS that needs to be fixed Vs. the Starter. I guess I will take the EWS off, stick a fuse into Pin 1 - Pin2 to see if it cranks and even check the power to start pins on the EWS plug next.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts