BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a march production 2002 330i. According to my sevice advisor at 1of2 BMW dealerships in Phoenix, Az they tell me that my car is not compatible. But...
According to the "iPOD-your-BMW" site the iPOD adapter will work with my car.
According to the other dealership in Phoenix the iPOD is compatible with my car.
According to other "fanatics" the iPOD adaptor is compatible with my car.

Can any of you verify that this is true? Do any of you have March '02 production 3-series that have successfully installed the iPOD adaptor?
The reason why I keep asking this question is I'm going to get mine installed in the next couple weeks, I'm going to get it done at an aftermarket stereo place. I just want to make sure they won't run into any complications.

Also...
I want to route the wire for the iPOD adaptor into the open bay below the HVAC controls, not the glove box. Do you any of you know any reason why this shouldn't be done or would be difficult to do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
NT330i ****< said:
Also...
I want to route the wire for the iPOD adaptor into the open bay below the HVAC controls, not the glove box. Do you any of you know any reason why this shouldn't be done or would be difficult to do?
If you mean the sunglasses box above the cigarette lighter - then that's exactly how I've installed mine. It's perfect size for an ipod and my sunglasses didn't fit in there anyways (wasn't using it for anything). Plus my glovebox is open for other things and I don't have to worry about something hitting the ipod.
It is easier to route the connector there instead of the glovebox.

·
Registered
320 Posts
thised1 said:
If you mean the sunglasses box above the cigarette lighter - then that's exactly how I've installed mine. It's perfect size for an ipod and my sunglasses didn't fit in there anyways (wasn't using it for anything). Plus my glovebox is open for other things and I don't have to worry about something hitting the ipod.
How would you run the wire thru from behind. that sunglass box is enclosed from behind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
jazzy_james said:
How would you run the wire thru from behind. that sunglass box is enclosed from behind.
Gotta drill one way or the other! The original instructions call for drilling the glovebox, so in this case you drill the sunglasses box.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thised1 said:

thised1:
That's exactly the box I'm talking about. Good to hear that its possible.
Did it require extending the iPOD adaptor wire? (I know this is kind of a weird question considering this box is closer to the head unit than the glove box, but someone had mentioned that this might be a problem.)

Which corner or side, of the "sunglasses box", did you drill into? Would you recommend a particular corner or side for aesthetics?

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

·
Registered
14 Posts
NT330i ****< said:
thised1:
That's exactly the box I'm talking about. Good to hear that its possible.
Did it require extending the iPOD adaptor wire? (I know this is kind of a weird question considering this box is closer to the head unit than the glove box, but someone had mentioned that this might be a problem.)

Which corner or side, of the "sunglasses box", did you drill into? Would you recommend a particular corner or side for aesthetics?

Do you have any pictures of your setup?
As you mentioned yourself, you are much closer to the head unit, so you do not need to extend the wire - actually you will have extra slack.
I wanted the wire entry point to be completely invisible, so I drilled on the top right closest to the back of the box. (On the right because i placed the adapter module on the right side of radio/climate controls). As it turned out to be, it might not have been the best choice, as the top of the sunglasses box is touching the frame which holds it. I even considered re-drilling, but after I checked how tight it was, I figured that it should not damage the wire, so I just left it this way.
I don't have any pictures at this time, but time permitting, I could take some. Let me know if you really need them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thised1 said:
As you mentioned yourself, you are much closer to the head unit, so you do not need to extend the wire - actually you will have extra slack.
I wanted the wire entry point to be completely invisible, so I drilled on the top right closest to the back of the box. (On the right because i placed the adapter module on the right side of radio/climate controls). As it turned out to be, it might not have been the best choice, as the top of the sunglasses box is touching the frame which holds it. I even considered re-drilling, but after I checked how tight it was, I figured that it should not damage the wire, so I just left it this way.
I don't have any pictures at this time, but time permitting, I could take some. Let me know if you really need them.
I don't really need the pictures, I was hoping you had already posted some or hand them handy.
Thanks for all your help on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts