BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...I think I misposted this in general so I am reposting it here in the Touring section where it belongs. My apologies.

I just bought a 2001 Touring. Doing my new owner housekeeping I find that the rear window will not open. When I push the button under the wiper housing there is no sound and the window doesnt open.

I assume there is some sort of electrical relay or fuse that controls this. I looked in the Bentley manual and its not much help.

Anyone know of a sure fire procedure to check whats wrong?Is this common?

What should I do. Thanks for the help in advance I really appreciate it!

Mountainwoodie

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If none of the above (as mentioned by VpointVick), then it's time to dig into the wiring looms from the main body of the car to the hatch. It's quite common for wires in there to break causing this sort of issue. I had to repair a few wires in my previous 2001 Touring to stop them from breaking and to get the rear defroster working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi
you are talking about I just bought a 2001 Touring. Doing my new owner housekeeping I find that the rear window will not open. When I push the button under the wiper housing there is no sound and the window doesnt open.
but sorry , i have no knowledge about that
-----------------
Free Racing games _sl_

·
Registered
73 Posts
If it doesn't open with the key ('trunk' button), then likely wiring loom issue mentioned above.
If it's just the hatch button not working, that happened to me and it was the wiring connection on the glass in our '00 wagon. The wiring goes from normal wire to flat ribbon cable stuck to the widow (upper left corner of the glass under plastic cover), where it changes wire type it broke. I was able to crudely solder it together, it worked well for years, now sometimes it's sporadic.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey!

I had this same issue, what I found is that the previous owner (or garage) cut the wire that runs in the hatch. When i pulled off the plastic to reveal the foam damping material i noticed a big tear in it. Checking inside there I found the cut wire, If i hold the ends together if does work.

I think they cut it because they were running into the issue which causes the hatch to open at random times (probably due to a bad switch) this was their easy fix.

Hopefully this helps you out!

·
Registered
55 Posts
another thing to check.... since these cars are getting up there in age, is to see if the GM5 module has been replaced. if so, likely the replacement was from a sedan, meaning the rear window won't work due to the module being programmed for a sedan. you can actually reprogram this for a Touring, but i think you need NCSExpert to do so.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
All good points. The key fob and interior switch should either release glass, or release hatch. There are programmable. See if either works, in addition to the physical switch on the outside, and report back.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,557 Posts
All good points. The key fob and interior switch should either release glass, or release hatch. There are programmable. See if either works, in addition to the physical switch on the outside, and report back.
Since OP joined and then made three posts on the same day and hasn't been heard from since I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since OP joined and then made three posts on the same day and hasn't been heard from since I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
:D
Hey guys- So I still have the same problem with the rear window glass not opening from either the hatch button, the key fob or the release in drivers kick panel. No, I havent torn the loom apart to see if the wire where it goes to flat is broken. In the interim I burned the # 5 valve ( well actually the oil separator went bad and I dillydallied in getting it replaced) and have been preoccupied dealing with a valve job, now completed. Though I may have to sell my 5 speed Unicorn ( :)) ) since I now have way too much in it. Until I do I want to get this window opened so I'll let you know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts