BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

Odd question here - on my recently acquired 2001 E46 325 Ci vert, when I activate the trunk "release" on the fob, the trunk mechanism unlocks for a few seconds like it's supposed to, but the trunk lid itself doesn't "pop up" - even a little bit. I've just replaced the gas lifts/springs with new ones with no improvement noted - is the trunk lid on these cars *supposed* to pop up a little or does one have to be ready to lift it up manually? Odd question, I know - but I don't want to be chasing "windmills" if it's not supposed to do so...thanks in advance!

·
Registered
524 Posts
2001 325ci (non-vert) doesn't pop up, not supposed to, unless you do the spring over lift support mod

·
Registered
87 Posts
my 2002 330cic trunk doesn't pop up. I am pretty sure they do not. Once you press the truck button on the fob, you will hear a sound. Then you just manually lift it up yourself. It doesn't "pop-up" it self.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Once you press the truck button on the fob, you will hear a sound. Then you just manually lift it up yourself. It doesn't "pop-up" it self.
And here is a bit of advice - lift the trunk by the bottom of the trunk itself and not the plastic handle, which will in due time break off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks all! Glad to get that cleared up before wasting anymore time on it.

The "spring over lift support mod" - worthwhile? Just curious

Thanks again - Daniel

·
Registered
524 Posts
The "spring over lift support mod" - worthwhile? Just curious

before I replaced with new "stabilus" lift, besides putting much pressure on the trunk lift when opening, I found it not safe trying to catch a closing heavy trunk. I could have used a spring to pop it up, but I wasn't looking.
I think it's an OK mod. I read it here somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts