BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are my options for an AUX cable? I've heard of people getting stereos out of 2002+ models and I can get a 2004 stereo for $42 at a local junkyard. Or is there kits I can use on the 2001 stereo?

·
Registered
10,117 Posts
Pull the head unit out of the dash and open the black wrapping (fabric ribbon) on the cable that runs behind it. If you discover a 2-pin connector that is unused, this is where you can plug in a BMW Aux. Cable. I assume you have a mode button to change the radio to the CD player, when you connect an Aux. Port to the connector, the mode button will give you an AUX input, just like it gives a CD input. You connect the aux cable and route the female plug to the glove box, or to the center console, and then you can simply connect your device as if the car is headphones, and your content will play.

Search eBay for BMW AUX CABLE. The dealership in San Francisco has two different kinds of them, the difference is the size of connector.

This is not the best, or the cheapest, but it has a good picture.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5MM-AUX-...ash=item36032a9fbb:g:bEkAAOSw3YNXYsVO&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just did the stereo swap in my 2001 325i. Be advised, the original stereo is made by Blaupunkt while the newer stereos are made by Alpine. As such, the radio amplifier in your driver C-pillar is not compatible and you'll get no reception. I have an extra if you need one. Also you need an adapter to connect the larger of the two factory Blaupunkt antenna plugs in the harness to the Alpine unit's single antenna port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did the stereo swap in my 2001 325i. Be advised, the original stereo is made by Blaupunkt while the newer stereos are made by Alpine. As such, the radio amplifier in your driver C-pillar is not compatible and you'll get no reception. I have an extra if you need one. Also you need an adapter to connect the larger of the two factory Blaupunkt antenna plugs in the harness to the Alpine unit's single antenna port.

Whats the part number for the radio amplifier I would need to get.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I did quidzel as well; easy to install. Hardest part was deciding where to locate aux in plug (didn't want wires running across console). And since added MPOW bluetooth (via quidzel aux in). Sound quality is excellent. Wife is quite jealous (she has in-dash bluetooth unit).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just got a Pioneer deck with USB, Bluetooth, aux input, all the bells and whistles for $100 and installed it. I still have the old one if I ever need it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Can you tell me about the MPOW BT that you plug into the Quidzel AUX ?
What is the point? Why not just use the AUX? This is for audio only right?
What is the benefit? Just no wires?
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming-Hands-free/dp/B008AGQMQC
This one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739RGDFJ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (you need one with ground loop isolator if charging while using aux in). Having MPOW bluetooth unit means not having to plug your phone (i.e. blu tooth connection), phone can be placed anywhere and, with included microphone, you can take cell call. Note you'll still need aux in for the MPOW connection.

Here's image of the quizdel install. Also shown is the USB power outlet I installed (power taken from BMW cell phone wiring inside console). MPOW's aux in and usb power plug here. Will eventually also move mpow's noise isolator into center console (currently under arm rest). I used the mpow's USB power outlet in the cig lighter as an extra outlet; thus the ashtray door can normally stay closed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but I ended up using the quidzel kit also. I bought a newer head unit, but after more research found that I would have to change the antenna amplifier as well (as previously mentioned). This is the same reason that aftermarket stereos don't get good reception in an older E46 (pre-2002). I ended up using the factory head unit, and the quidzel kit. It works great and easy to install! But as also mentioned, there is some ground loop noise if you charge your phone while connected to the Aux port. If you want to go with a newer head unit, I have an Alpine unit out of a 2004 I would sell. $50

1 - 13 of 13 Posts