E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you out there have the rear end clunk noise and I want to share my experience. I have not fixed the clunking noise yet but I hope to keep sort of a journal on my progress as I try different things and keep the community informed. First off my bimmer is a 2001 330xi 5 speed manual. I purchased it with 71,000 miles and the clunk was there from the beginning. Let me first explain what I mean by clunking noise. It is an audible thud from the back when the clutch is let off. The sound is also replicated while driving at any variety of speeds and gear when the gas pedal is fully let off and any quick sudden pressure is applied to the gas pedal. The problem seems to be more evident in 1st and 2nd gears and 1st gears is at times very jerky. I did have the issue checked out at a local BMW shop and they found a worn out transfer case support mount. They explained that it could be a variety of drivetrain components that have built slack over time and it was completely normal. I've been driving for 17,000 miles with this clunk and I find it bearable but still somewhat annoying.

Replaced transfer case support mount
May 2012 - I replaced the transfer case support mount with the help of a friend of mine.
Part #: 22316773125 (22-31-6-773-125)
The whole process took about 2 and a half hours and was pretty straight forward. It would have taken us about an hour if we didn't screw around for about an hour and a half pounding the mount in without any progress. It has to be pressed in and with a c-clamp tool and some ingenuity we figured it out. Good news is that 1st gear seems to be less jerky but it might be the way im shifting. Bad news is that the clunk is still there.

Stay tuned and be patient. This clunk isn't a high priority for me.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
yes, its the transfer case. when I did the transfer case fluid, I could rotate one of the output axles by maybe 3-5 degrees. its just the way it is.
I been thinking of using thicker fluid inside the transfer case to quieten it down cuz right now I have dexron VI in it.
that slack on an automatic gives you the clunk sound when switching between R and D quickly. also when shifting gears, theres a quick delay when the slack is being taken up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.