E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dirver's side window isn't working, so I took it apart to see what the problem was. Saw that I need to do the zip tie fix and did that. After hooking the battery back up the instrument panel now doesn't work...speedometer, tach, lights on the panel, etc.

So I started looking at all of the fuses that protect the panel and saw that the fuses look fine. Then I noticed that there was a 20 amp where there should be a 5 amp fuse. Assuming the problem is that too much current was allowed through, what would have blown, past the fuses? What do I need to look at?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andy, thanks for replying. The 5 amp should go for the instrument panel. When I looked at the mapping diagram for the fuses, there are 3 that go to the instrument panel. I can't remember their numbers but I think they are 10,34, and 43. The number 10 one should have a 5 amp fuse but instead had a 20 amp fuse. What I'm thinking is that when I disconnected my battery to work on the driver's side window, then reconected it maybe there was a surge that would've normally blown the 5 amp and protected everything. I don't see how anything I did in repairing the window would've caused the instrument panel to go out. Do you?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks boyguan. I'm not quite sure what I could've pinched. What I did was remove the driver side door panel and the vapor barrier. I just had to raise the window up until I can receive the parts to fix my window. So I haven't really done any work in there except for the above. I connected everything back.

Do you mean there could be something pinched in the wiring in the door that could cause this behavior?

·
Registered
71 Posts
yea maybe if you pinched a wire when you put the door panel back on. bmw systems are all linked to each other in some way sometimes. on my car, my ac, radio, windows, instrument, wipers, turn signals all did not work due to 1 pinched wire. it was shorting out the system. best thing to do is take it apart and leave the panel off for now n see if it still does it. since like you said it was working before

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey it's fixed! I disconnected the battery then took out the instrument cluster and let it sit for a few minutes. Connected the battery then reconnected the cluster. Everything now works great. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.