BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the exact same car, 330ci convertible. I had mystery oil leaks all over the place. Top looked clean like yours.

The leaks I found:

1. valve cover gasket. Not visible until you remove the plastic covers and search for it thoroughly.
2. Oil filter housing gasket. Almost impossible to see direct oil leak since it piles into spacing in the block and only comes out when on a incline or cornering like you stole it.
3. Oil pan gasket. After the above two were fixed I was still loosing a little bit of oil, this one is a PITA to fix since you have to sort of lift the engine a little to get the pan off.
4. CCV system, located under the intake, can get clogged and cause problems. Had it replaced and it was full of mayonnaise so to say.
5. Tube that runs from the dipstick to the CCV system, will crack if not taken care off/replaced.

After all that, my car is now leak free and after a couple of oil and filter changes the oil stays a nice golden color.

These cars are awesome, but you need to take care off them else you will have continuous weirdness going on. Another piece of advice, invest in a INPA compatible cable so you can do the same computer stuff as a dealer can. Having this cable saved me tons of time chasing a vacuum leak and finding some bad sensors.

I went mental on mine, but it payed off:

Still a work in progress, but drives new. Except for the oil leaks I did the following:

1. Vanos rebuild
2. New high strength waterpump
3. removed original mechanical fan and replaced it with electrical, seperate thread for that one in the DME tuning section.
4. Rebuild the transmission

Those are the mayors, many other things have happened but these seem to have sorted the highest return in it running like a dream.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 745K km
802 Posts
After all that, my car is now leak free and after a couple of oil and filter changes the oil stays a nice golden color.
What is the mileage and what is latest oil change interval? With all my respect, I seriously doubt your oil remains golden color - or you just meant ''right after oil change''?
For the rest, you are absolutely right - showroom condition overall doesn't eliminate possibility of massive leaks. And those works you mention are pretty much standards for e46 at certain age and topic starter will face them this way or other ( and better to fulfill them as preventative). i wouldn't insist on water pump replacement unless leaking or failing - which is rare. Replacing fan clutch to electric one - again, it is entirely up to car owner, although I would keep AUX and clutch in place and just make sure they are all in order. Two stages of safety are better than one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I changed the oil less than 100 miles ago the car has 80,000 mi on it and yes the oil still drips golden like honey I bought it from an old man who never ran it hard today in his life I went ahead and poured oil in it ran it for a little while and then drained the oil and it came out exactly how it went in Golden like honey I looked for the water pump and everything else I'm going to go ahead and replace the fan clutch I don't know when the last time it was replaced but I'm going to replace it all the same and I'm going to put new high performance front and rear struts one thing I do want to ask you guys what is your preferred tire I'm running the factory BMW 17-in rim and I got a 205/50 r17 BF Goodrich G-Force and man I'm telling you what it's like super glue to the road when you get them and you feel them your hands stick to him like glue they are absolutely awesome I'd like to know what your preferred rubber is for the road and also would like to suggest the BF Goodrich G-Force

·
Registered
802 Posts
Color of oil on dipstick barely could show you its condition. It is absolutely normal it changes he color with time, so you really shouldn't worry about it at all.
For improved body integrity and stiffness, I would highly recommend to buy front strut bar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well I wasn't looking at oil on the dipstick I drained it out into a white coffee mug just so I could check the viscosity and look for particulates and you know wear and tear on internal parts yeah there's a nice carbon fiber strut tower support bar it's like $750 I think that's the one I'm going to go with I think it's a DMG pro but it's pretty sick that and the new high performance mostplus strut package it's going to handle like a race car! i have a new oring kit coming tomorrow I'm going to pull the dipstick tube and fit a new high intensity heat resistant oring on it

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well I wasn't looking at oil on the dipstick I drained it out into a white coffee mug just so I could check the viscosity and look for particulates and you know wear and tear on internal parts yeah there's a nice carbon fiber strut tower support bar it's like $750 I think that's the one I'm going to go with I think it's a DMG pro but it's pretty sick that and the new high performance mostplus strut package it's going to handle like a race car! i have a new oring kit coming tomorrow I'm going to pull the dipstick tube and fit a new high intensity heat resistant oring on it
They are all the same, not hing special in those o-rings))
for racing car handling - e46 is famous for it's great performance; however, convertible body will never be as strong as sedan, so that strut bar is pretty much necessity for every day drive, if you wanna keep the car.
Draining oil itno can isn't informative, you do not see much this way. Cutting oil filter and look at its condition will give you much more idea. If your car is in working condition, thee are on any particles to be found.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah I know I just didn't have a spare oil filter handy or I would have checked it out but when I do my next oil change I'm going to go over all the points and also I figured that missing the eight pillars in the hard top would cut down on the stability of the frame I'm sure the convertible has a lot more flex than the hard top that's why I chose such a beefy strut tower bar there's also a rear strut bar but I don't know how it will fit in the rear compartment I'm going to get it and check it out and see if it don't kill my luggage space too much but I'm not racing or nothing I just like a comfortable performance ride and BMW is surely that

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rear one won't fit , unless you are ok to kill entire idea of having vert - to drive it with top down.
It is upto you which one to buy, M3 carbon one is beautiful but you could get one ofr about 150 $ for sure, and it will still perfectly work.
For oil - there is really nothing to look into unless you have some bad worrying symptoms or so. you just have a look at filter when change oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is the mileage and what is latest oil change interval? With all my respect, I seriously doubt your oil remains golden color - or you just meant ''right after oil change''?
For the rest, you are absolutely right - showroom condition overall doesn't eliminate possibility of massive leaks. And those works you mention are pretty much standards for e46 at certain age and topic starter will face them this way or other ( and better to fulfill them as preventative). i wouldn't insist on water pump replacement unless leaking or failing - which is rare. Replacing fan clutch to electric one - again, it is entirely up to car owner, although I would keep AUX and clutch in place and just make sure they are all in order. Two stages of safety are better than one.
Mileage is around 150k miles. last oil change was 700 miles ago. The newer models BMW dont have the mechanical fan anyways, but I guess some people enjoy their car sounding like a semi and thats fine ;-)

Also the waterpumps have plastic impellers, I like the steel ones better. And the mechanical fan can turn into shrapnel in which case the fan belt is taken out leaving the AUX fan useless since the water pump is no longer working.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah I do have worrying symptoms you know of never had a brand new car and you know how it is man I've always had shit because that's all I could afford and I've worked on it my entire life so now that I got a nice one I try to baby it and polish it and wipe it and look at it and kind of stupid really lol but yeah I don't want to kill the idea of the vert and I know the rear strut tower stabilizer is going to completely trash that idea so you don't think it'll have enough body flex without the a pillars in the top to worry about putting a rear one on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
All right so remember when I was telling you about thinking it was the o-ring on the dipstick well guess what? .. there wasn't even a o-ring on the dipstick none zero zilch nada nothing what kind of world do we live in where the dipstick has no o-ring it's got one now!

·
Registered
802 Posts
All right so remember when I was telling you about thinking it was the o-ring on the dipstick well guess what? .. there wasn't even a o-ring on the dipstick none zero zilch nada nothing what kind of world do we live in where the dipstick has no o-ring it's got one now!
We live in very that kind of world where someone who worked on your engine before forgets to put an o- ring on dipstick. Glad you fixed it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah I do have worrying symptoms you know of never had a brand new car and you know how it is man I've always had shit because that's all I could afford and I've worked on it my entire life so now that I got a nice one I try to baby it and polish it and wipe it and look at it and kind of stupid really lol but yeah I don't want to kill the idea of the vert and I know the rear strut tower stabilizer is going to completely trash that idea so you don't think it'll have enough body flex without the a pillars in the top to worry about putting a rear one on?
Unless you gonna use it on track, and you aren't planning doing it, are you? You will be just fine. Front bar is important, rear one isn't that much. Just have your tires fresh and properly aligned, and suspension parts fresh and your car will outperform majority of modern cars in driveability. E46 vert is probably the most beautiful convertible up to date.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ok so I forgot to tighten my intake hose behind tha mas air flow sensor and drove it today. Then. @llof a sudden it missed a few times. So I checked it out @MD tightened everything back up. And double checked everything then put it back on the computer. It's not throwing any codes now what are the MOST common reasons for mossfire? And what's y'alls opinion on turbos and super charger? And what is the best way to gain throttle response?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts