BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody I'm new to the forum and I'm a new BMW owner I have a 2001 330ci with 80,000 MI showroom condition nice car now the question is I parked my car on a incline with the engine facing uphill I started my car this morning and let it warm up and when I back down and out into the road and pulled out it leaked probably close to a half a quart of oil down the driveway and in the road now does anybody have any idea what could cause this I haven't run it enough to check the oil consumption all the oil is nice and clean that's on the road I don't know whether it was overfilled or a error on my part but if anybody has any ideas or advice would be awesome

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I’m going to conclude that you know the difference between engine oil and transmission fluid.

Inspect the engine with a bright flashlight. Look for leaks at the Oil Filter housing and Valve Cover. When the engine is COLD, move your hand around the back of the Valve Cover to feel for leaking oil. Oil leaking from other places on the Valve Cover should be visible. If the VCG is leaking on the passenger side, it generally drips onto the hot exhaust manifold and will be noticeable by smell as well. If you see or find nothing, you need to inspect underneath the vehicle. I suggest Rhino Ramps if a lift is not an option. After removing the plastic cover, look everywhere for leaks. The Oil Pan gasket could be a leak source so inspect it carefully.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
01/2001 325cic 235,000
122 Posts
Also check the rear main seal.
Know how long it sat in between oil services and drives?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay guys little information I didn't let y'all in on sorry I'm from Charleston West Virginia I have 9 ASE certifications so I'm in pretty decent mechanic but I'm a new BMW owner and thank you all very much for your well-giving advice so here we go I really don't want to tell you all this I feel like maybe I should just delete myself from this page and going about my business but I moved my skid plate and guess where the oil was coming out of that's right my dipstick connection point so I've overfilled my engine with oil now mind you when I checked it it was at minimum on my dipstick so I added a little and my motor had been sitting there for a little while so I've checked my entire engine everywhere up down back front side to side checked her all rear means good oil filter housings good you name it if there's a seal on there I've went over it it's awesome there's not a speck of nothing nowhere but my skid plate was plum full of oil anyway guys thanks for responding so quick I hope I can become regular on this page thank you for your advice if I have any information or comments further I'll post y'all have a good evening thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You guys are attached a picture of a black rubber o-ring that has a lip on one side with two keyways I found this when I pulled the skid plate off personally I think that maybe it is a spacer and it goes on your cranksnout
now I'm not sure let me know what y'all think

Attachments

·
Registered
01/2001 325cic 235,000
122 Posts
so I've overfilled my engine with oil now mind you when I checked it it was at minimum on my dipstick so I added a little
We all do it once or twice, good news is our engines burn lots of oil!

Poached this from e46 zone.
Red: Minimum
Green: Max
White: Oh ****!

In-between the line is ~1L

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I posted a picture of this o-ring I found laying on my skid plate it was a black rubber o-ring it says BMW on it real small and it's oblong like with a lip on one end but round and it has like two little keyways sticking out on the inside of it you ever see anything like it?

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 745K km
800 Posts
O ring is a locking ring from front control arm bush. It is pretty common that when bush wearing out and gives more movement that ring simply fells off. It also happens more often with cheaper bushes. Not critical, but you need to inspect bushes for wearing. They last 30-50 K km, depending on driving habits and road conditions.
For oil - you said you inspected your engine, and you do not see any signs of leak? You mentioned filter housing etc means you have idea how generally leaks look like? Please clarify

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well yeah in America we have what's called the ASE certification it's an automotive service excellence I've been a mechanic for probably about 20 years yeah I know what oil leaks look like and where to look in the direction they come from I just never had my E46 apart and I'm a new BMW fanatic so trying to learn as much as I can I've never so much has changed the tire on a BMW before I was reaching out to get all the advice I could about oil problems with the m54 man I can't honestly say I've seen a control arm bushing like that right there but thanks for the clarification and the positive criticism!lol

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mate no criticism at all, and I do not question your skills,
I just want to clarify - as you are obviously not novice in motors, you can recognize leaks and get possible direction in its source, so my question was if you could describe what you see, as it isn't clear whether yo could see traces of leak or not. While oil paddle on drive way could be not your car's, skid plate in oil indicates there is significant leak, so it cannot be invisible on engine' surface.
Also, it could be problematic to decide whether it is engine oil or ATF from transmission, unless it is in large quantity or you can see the place it leaks from.
Pictures woulf help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay the only automatic transmission fluid that I am familiar with is red and it's it smells and feels just like engine oil also where it was leaking from if you're laying under your car skid plate off and you put your hand up the left side of the block the driver side where your dipstick tube seats down in your lower engine block that right there is where the oil was coming out of it was leaking out of the dipstick housing tube right at the base there was no other traces of oil anywhere on the engine left front back side top nowhere the only visible indication of any type of oil leak in or around the engine compartment area now it was just when the car was parked on the incline or when I had had the front of the car up on jack stands so only with the car at an incline front end uphill was the oil coming out of the dipstick housing tube at the base I thought there was an o-ring on the end of it that was supposed to seal it but obviously I'm thinking that was too much oil but I did check it previously the day before that it was barely registering that's why I added oil maybe it was I just didn't let it sit long enough before I checked it

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well,
ATF can be green too.
As you found leak, lean area around dipstick as good as you can, then find video how to remove dipstick, buy new o-ring and replace it. 1 hour work. Note dipstick o-ring doesn't go inside the hole, so do not try to pull it there. put it on dipstick tube and insert tube carefully into the hole.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Oil level is lower than this hole so you are safe. Just clean everything around there, as there will be lot of dirt and big chance a piece of that ill fall into engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Normally I would agree with you but mine looks like it just come off the showroom floor under the hood

1 - 20 of 35 Posts