BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, hey! So, SolidJake reccommended that I start a new thread here. With lots of pictures.

I'm dropping an m54b30 into my 2000 323ci. That ought to be fun. My brother turned me on to this car on craigslist. The guy wanted to trade his '01 330ci convertible for a 4 wheeler.

So after some talking and such and so forth and all that whatnot, he got a 1994 Suzuki quad runner and I got a new parts car! (Speaking of which, if any of you need parts, hit me up... All I'm taking is the engine and all its accessories.)

The guy's wife REALLY wanted me to fix it up, but no. It's done. He told me that someone RAN OVER the front of the car. And I believe him after looking at the damage. Engine is good. I got to drop the hammer a little bit on my ride home, so I'm confident that with a little TLC, it'll be just right for going into my car.

Anyway, I'm going to use this thread for updates and pictures and such. I really only have two days a week to do any work on it, so don't expect this thing to happen over night or anything... I fully plan on doing all my research before I even turn a bolt. I'll be examining the wiring harness and diagrams with a fine tooth comb first thing.

Here's some pics, though, to see what we're up against!

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOOO! Two days and I already made the third page!

So I got bored today and went to do some clean up and assessment.

Final assessment? This car is MESSED up!

The passenger strut tower is mashed in towards the back.

You can see dirt between the fender and unibody.

You can see dirt where the windex tank used to be.

The passenger side of the bumper is just hanging in the air.

The 3" inlet hose behind the MAF is just taped together. (Incidentally, the air box is a much better design than the 323...)

The radiator cap is stuck.

The one "good" side marker lamp was taped in there. Now it's in the garbage can.

The driver's xenon lamp seems to be completely intact, however, if someone needs it for cheaper than you can find on ebay... Only the rubber trim piece has visible damage.

Both fog lamps seem to be in order.

With some judicious nipping around the loom, I got what was left of the lighting circuits out of there. Every. Single. Connector was mangled beyond use. Nice.

Whatever that canister thing is on the passenger side of the engine (missing) was had its bracket smashed into the plastic engine cover. Nice hole there now...

Got the cabin air junk out of the way and pretty much left the bare minimum there to keep it running long enough to get to the shop to RIP THAT SUCKER APART, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, no new pics today, but I didn't want to open a new thread. I DO have some questions, though, as I'm trying to get that m54 TB to work with my m52tu ECU... I know that people have been putting the m54 intake on their m52tu cars for years, but they're using an adapter plate to be able to use the stock throttle body. That's not going to work for me, since I'm putting the entire m54b30 in my car. I don't want a restrictor plate in there, you know? So I'm trying to find a way to use that m54 throttle body on a car that's meant for cable throttle control.

1) Does anyone have any hard numbers for the voltage that the ECU sends out to the throttle control when you step on the gas? If I know that, I can spoof the throttle body. and use the DBW system as is.

2) Does the M54 TB have a spring-loaded return inside that little black box, or is the butterfly closed by the computer? If the return is computer controlled, I canNOT spoof the throttle body since I'm no programmer or anything...

3) I see that the wiring diagrams are completely identical, aside from that drive by wire system. Does anyone foresee any problems that might crop up if I have a machine shop fab up a 3 inch m54 throttle body with m52tu hardware?

4) again with the wiring, does anyone have pinouts for the 2000 m52tub25 ECU and the 2001 330ci ECU? It would obviously be best to use that computer in my car, however, if pins are used in the m52tu case that interfere with the m54 throttle control, that won't be a thing that's possible.

5) Speaking of ECU's, why are there five of them under my dash? is there one for lights and one for tranny and such and so forth? Which one (or more) am I looking at to swap? I can re-wire the TB portion of the loom and add the actual gas pedal wiring if there aren't any pins that would interfere across the ECU's. That wouldn't even be a small problem in that case. Oh, and will I really need to change out the lock cylinders and use the 330 keys if I swap computers?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Following this. Want to see how it turns out. I just sold my lightgelb coupe.
Oh, I'll keep everyone updated, no worries!

In fact, I've already found my solution

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1062028

This thread talks about the full ECU swap and adapting the drive by wire system in AS WELL AS the possibility of not having any downsides to using the smaller m52 throttle body!

So, I'm going to start by using my 323 TB with the adapter plate for the m54 manifold swap, but I'll be using the m54 MAF sensor, too.

... You didn't sell it to a guy in Idaho, did you? Mine was the only one in town until just a couple months ago...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh, I'll keep everyone updated, no worries!

In fact, I've already found my solution

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1062028

This thread talks about the full ECU swap and adapting the drive by wire system in AS WELL AS the possibility of not having any downsides to using the smaller m52 throttle body!

So, I'm going to start by using my 323 TB with the adapter plate for the m54 manifold swap, but I'll be using the m54 MAF sensor, too.

... You didn't sell it to a guy in Idaho, did you? Mine was the only one in town until just a couple months ago...
Nope. MD. My daughter had it in CA while in law school.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Subscribed - in theory this seems like a fantastic option but in practice it scares me to even consider... and from what I've seen I can't imagine a scenario where I don't need another DD while the swap is in progress. As a person who has precisely zero experience with ECUs, wiring harness edits etc. I think I'm better off steering clear. At only 16 years and 130k miles young, I also think I have a ways to go before I blow up my drivetrain.

What's your inspiration here? MOAR POWER?!?!? M52TU way past its prime? Masochist? Looking for a challenge?

Best of luck, I'll be rooting for you bobnagga!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Subscribed - in theory this seems like a fantastic option but in practice it scares me to even consider... and from what I've seen I can't imagine a scenario where I don't need another DD while the swap is in progress. As a person who has precisely zero experience with ECUs, wiring harness edits etc. I think I'm better off steering clear. At only 16 years and 130k miles young, I also think I have a ways to go before I blow up my drivetrain.

What's your inspiration here? MOAR POWER?!?!? M52TU way past its prime? Masochist? Looking for a challenge?

Best of luck, I'll be rooting for you bobnagga!
It's been years since I've had a car worth doing mods on. And this is just the sort of thing I love.

The 323 actually runs great, so I think it boils down to Moar power!

My wife has her car, and once everything is ready to go in, I won't be down for more than a couple days...

I think I'm going to look into the sub frame while I'm down there, but it may have to wait until the 330 is parted out for the income.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been a slow several days. Managed to get it to the shop I'm using late one night. That was fun with no lights, but fortunately, there weren't any cops out to pull me over and start giving me the third degree.

But with birthdays and vacations, I think I'm probably lucky to have gotten this far. I think it probably helped that the bumper was about to fall off anyway.

Anyway, got it cleaned up a bit and most of the fluids drained out, Still has ATF and oil just in case I need to move it right up until the motor is ready to come out.

Before all the fluids came out, I had it running for a good half hour at 2k-2500 RPM, and it did quite well. The radiator fittings started steaming, but honestly, I think it's amazing this thing even holds water after being run over.

That half a fan makes it rock like a v8 with a lumpy cam. I might leave it like that... Probably not, but it's fun to think about.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grrr... Vacations and the wife's college has REALLY put a damper on any real progress here.

Whatever, though. We went to a theme park here in Idaho over the weekend, and my brother told me he wanted the speakers. So I told him he has to get ALL the interior out. So he did. Mostly. Saves me a lot of work.

As far as the actual swap, I've done literally nothing but get the clutch fan off and destroy two sockets on the front subframe reinforcement plate.

So I went and got a new air compressor for the impact gun. and some other new tools. That's it. I'm getting antsy here, but whatever. There might be a weekend coming up that doesn't require me to do anything or be anywhere...

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, has it really been a whole month since I did any updates?

It's been eventful. Got a 2004 Volvo XC90 to drive while my car is down... Had to put that back together one weekend, so nothing happened there. Guy I work with just gave it to me. The shop told him it would be a $2500 bill to fix the bad oil burning at the turbo oil seal. Turns out it was nothing and I haven't had a problem since I got it. But hey, free car, right?

Another weekend was taken up with actually parting the car out. It's gone now. Maybe I'll post a classified with all the parts I still have.

Another weekend I just took off and said screw it.

Last weekend, I got mad at THAT ONE STUPID BOLT, GOD, WHY DO THEY HAVE TO USE THOSE STUPID STAR PATTERN BOLTS, ALLEN HEADS, AND TORX SCREWS?!?! And quit. I think I'm going to go on a torx hunting campaign and put real bolts in that engine...

This weekend I got some parts in that I bought with the money from selling that hard top and ripped that bolt out the side of its hole with a dremel tool, a chisel, and a hammer!

And so, the transmission is finally separated from the engine after a month and a half of NO progress!

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, the engine is green lit. It's nice and clean inside (no pics), with no obviously worn parts or damage. Everything is within spec, and it's ready to go in.

But this project is getting paused until tax time. I'm be doing some small stuff like the ccv delete and cleaning the intake up, and I'll be able to clean and repair those rims.

Have to wait for money to get the 330 clutch and have the exhaust system fitted... And I suppose I'll need cats..

·
Registered
502 Posts
WOOO! Two days and I already made the third page!

So I got bored today and went to do some clean up and assessment.

Final assessment? This car is MESSED up!

The passenger strut tower is mashed in towards the back.

You can see dirt between the fender and unibody.

You can see dirt where the windex tank used to be.

The passenger side of the bumper is just hanging in the air.

The 3" inlet hose behind the MAF is just taped together. (Incidentally, the air box is a much better design than the 323...)

The radiator cap is stuck.

The one "good" side marker lamp was taped in there. Now it's in the garbage can.

The driver's xenon lamp seems to be completely intact, however, if someone needs it for cheaper than you can find on ebay... Only the rubber trim piece has visible damage.

Both fog lamps seem to be in order.

With some judicious nipping around the loom, I got what was left of the lighting circuits out of there. Every. Single. Connector was mangled beyond use. Nice.

Whatever that canister thing is on the passenger side of the engine (missing) was had its bracket smashed into the plastic engine cover. Nice hole there now...

Got the cabin air junk out of the way and pretty much left the bare minimum there to keep it running long enough to get to the shop to RIP THAT SUCKER APART, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
That poor 330... At least the motor is going into quite the striking 323ci! You might also consider transplanting the 330s Harman/Kardon audio system, which would probably be a nice upgrade from the standard Hifi. What color is the interior of the 330? I could use some little trim pieces if they're in good shape...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That poor 330... At least the motor is going into quite the striking 323ci! You might also consider transplanting the 330s Harman/Kardon audio system, which would probably be a nice upgrade from the standard Hifi. What color is the interior of the 330? I could use some little trim pieces if they're in good shape...
Yeah, that car was done. My car actually has the Harmon Kardon system already. It just doesn't have that center rear sub that the 330 did. I took both door panels from the 330, so I at least got a couple of the speakers from it. One of my tweets was blown and the wood plastic was all cracked up, so I got a twofer there.

Um, here's a link to the parts thread I just started in the classified section:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=17098633#post17098633

That's all the parts I have left. Take a look, you'd be helping to fund this project!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's time. Car started dumping antifreeze all over the alternator when the weather got cold. I don't know if it's the expansion tank or the radiator hose quick connect, but I figure that since I have to take it apart, I might as well just keep going.

Got a three day weekend over new-years, so... It's time.

More pics to come!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got a good three or four hours in today. Here's some pics of my car coming apart. My brother broke a clip holding the A/C condenser in place, so we called it quits. It was getting dark, anyway.

Got a couple pics of those rims now that they're powder coated and cleaned up, too. And of course I'll keep those pics coming!

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today... We spent the entire day getting the throttle cable off of the TB. That thing sucks. Got the wiring harness half out trying to get to the intake manifold support bracket (So we could get to the throttle cable.) It took so long that I actually forgot what we were doing. I was all like, "Wait a minute. Why do we need to take this manifold off? We should just leave the wiring harness here and take the engine out. Why are we doing all this extra work?" And I wish I was joking! I took the panel out from under my dash to get to the top of the gas pedal and everything. In the end all it took was my brother holding the throttle open with one hand while I pushed the cable's ball end out the back of the throttle with a screwdriver.

So, protip: Just hold it open and pop the end of the cable out with some kind of dowel.

Anyway, both sections of the intake boots had cracks in them, so they're no good.

A/C condenser came out with the Power steering loop in one piece. The quick disconnects were easy with a wrench and a third hand to hold the loop in place, and the reservoir drapes neatly over bumper mount.

My brother did jack the car up in such a way as to mangle the aluminum support brace, though. Not sure how he managed that...

But, on the bright side, we're only a couple hours away from having that thing out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts