E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i might be buying a 2001 325i soon and i just wanted 2 know about the reliability and wut kind of problems any of you have had with your cars, like rattles for example or anything else. Id appreciate any feedback because i wanna make sure its a good car 2 buy. Thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
sunroof shade broke on mine :)...ummm...money shifts (operator error) balding of tires (operator error) other than that...no probs/// 53k miles...

·
Loves cookies
1,821 Posts
20,853 miles, 1 window regulator replaced and a broken door clip(small piece that helps the door close). Overall nothing serious or nothing the dealer couldnt handle. I right i have a minor speaker rattle that i will have to take care of.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks i appreciate it, we went and looked at the car 2day and im pretty sure were gonna be pickin it up on Wed. Ill try 2 post pics asap.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,389 Posts
I have had only one minor problem...the gas guage fluxuates on a cold start but eventually, once the car is warm...it reads the correct position. I drive the car pretty agressively, especially at AutoX and the only thing I have had to replace where the stock continentals at 12,000 miles...other than that NOT A PROBLEM!!! Very solid car...

·
name's PHIL
6,061 Posts
no problems yet on my 2001 325i but then again i'm only at 7000 miles hehehehehehehe:D

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've had many minor problems.

My car: 2001 325ci steptronic with 21k miles, bought new.

The biggest was the passenger door handle broke 3 times. The infamous HK rattles. My steering wheel down volume button would change the radio station or cd track, they replaced head unit. Popping noises from rear speakers (replaced the amp several times) but started after they replaced head unit. Now they gave me a amp that absolutely produces nill in bass, I have bass and treb on max now and my HK sounds like stock :eek:(. Control arms where a huge one. Control arms are expensive. They first replaced bushings which only slightly helped and I had complained 4 times about steering noises to get control arms replaced and guess what NOW I have no problems. I've had my sunroof track greased several times from noise (normal maintenance). I'm sure this helps prevent most track problems that people are having where the sunroof falls off of it. I've had all but one of my turn signal lights fail two failed twice. My front brakes have been replaced twice and rotors once. The rear have been replaced once. This seems excessive to me with only 20K miles. I can't see spending $300-500 every 10k miles on brakes when the warranty is up!

My center air duct still makes weird howling noises from time to time. The newest thing since I have a steptronic is my shifter is getting stuck. I had trouble getting past neutral just this morning. All weekend I had trouble moving from sport to manual mode. I've had other questions more than problems which service treated as problems and gave me a hard time about when really I was simply asking whether something was normal or not.

I have had two nails in my sidewalls of my tires which caused me to replace them. The stock tires wear really fast so I've spent $800 just in tires. This is why I have no mods! Overall I'm spending about $450 per year in maintenance on a new car! I actually need two front tires now that's another $400 plus I need winter tires this year, that's another $600+! arrrrrgghhhhh! This will bring my total to about $800 per year in maintenance since 2001 granted I had two flat unrepairable tires before. Also I change my own oil in between service intervals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2001 325Ci and have had the clutch replaced $1000 and some other minor fixes such as interior trim, sunroof shade, and headlights going out. Everything was covered under warrenty except the clutch. They say that it is due to abuse but it seems from the amount of people who have similar problems that the clutches are prone to wear out prematurely. Just a thought. Even with that I still love it and would get it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts