BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching on the forums but didn't find much.

I drove to Kingman AZ from my home in Nevada, roughly a 5 hour drive. At one point there is a streach of road that requires you to drive with your lights on. Upon getting to my destination I FAILED to turn off my lights. The car sat all night. My battery was drained with the black eye indicator showing. We put a charger on it for about 10 minutes and the car started right up and I headed back to Nevada. I stopped in Vegas for an hour and then drove another 3 hours to my home. Twice the car engine died for no apparent reason.

The first time was about 30 miles outside of Vegas. I was on a slight grade. I coasted the car to a stop. I turned the key and the car started right up. I looked under the hood and could see no obvious problem. I drove another 100 miles and it died again. I was on a steeper grade. I tried to start the car while coasting to no avail. I came to a stop and the car started right up and I drove the remaining 40 miles home without furthur incident.

Upon arriving home I connected my code reader it indicated no fault codes. The eye on the battery was still black so I threw the battery charger on it. After two hours the eye is still not green but the battery indicates it has 13 volts when checked with my volt meter. With the car running I get 14 volts indicating my ALT is working. The battery is probably 3 years old and is OEM.
The previous OEM battery did the same thing with the indicator eye prior to me replacing it with the current battery.

I've never had a stalling issure before, even when I had to replace the cam sensor. Could the battery be causing the stalling problem?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Even if you left the lights on, once you turn off the engine, lights will be off. I think you need a new battery and yes the engine will stall when the battery is dead.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm bumping this thread because I was climbing another grade and the engine quit on me again. It does not appear to be related to the battery as I thought before. There are no codes. The car started right up once I had coasted to a stop. Could my fuel pump be going bad? Any help is appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts