E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2001 325ci
I am having the fun problem of the car not starting. When I put the key in to start it does nothing no clicking no attempt to turn the motor over at all. I have done a lot of reading and thought it was the battery. I got a new one and still has the same problem. I also thought it could be the starter? I went and removed the air box and tapped it and still don't have anything. Random side note there is a little valve under the intake box that has 2 hoses going into it. That is extremely hot. No idea why the car has been sitting so don't get why it would be? If pictures are needed I can post them... Thanks for your help!
Car was running just fine parked it and now dealing with this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
You need to check battery voltage at the starter.
See info in my No start thread!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Any trick to getting to it? Air box is out and it seems like a mile away haha
"Remove the airbox and the intake boots to gain access to the starter."

·
Registered
11,648 Posts
Do you have another key? If so, try it. These cars have security system - separate from the alarm. If the key is kaput the car won't start.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you have another key? If so, try it. These cars have security system - separate from the alarm. If the key is kaput the car won't start.
Yuuup! He's right... Have you for any reason messed around with your key? Try to open the case and double check if theirs a small chip located near the key? The car won't turn on if either the chip isn't inside the case or near the key!! When you try to turn the car on it will not star! It won't make any sound at all, no crank, nothing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yuuup! He's right... Have you for any reason messed around with your key? Try to open the case and double check if theirs a small chip located near the key? The car won't turn on if either the chip isn't inside the case or near the key!! When you try to turn the car on it will not star! It won't make any sound at all, no crank, nothing!
Chip is still there. Car started just fine the night before. I have been removing the starter. Seems like that's the problem. Buying a new one today but will do a full test on mine once it's out. ( yeah it's a tight space to work in)

·
Registered
138 Posts
How's the battery? You should test that out before you go out and spend $ on a new starter... Any autozone will charge it for free... I know that the E46 need a healthy battery to crank up...

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Chip is still there. Car started just fine the night before. I have been removing the starter. Seems like that's the problem. Buying a new one today but will do a full test on mine once it's out. ( yeah it's a tight space to work in)
Have you or anyone else cut the key open?????

This is important to know and understand.

Full disclosure will only help you at this point.

I would probably replace the ignition switch just because and see if that helps the situaiton.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
The starter works, but no power at terminal "C"?

Ignition switch, or EWS problem.

Trouble shoot ignition switch and try a second key.
I know, you only have one.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Might as well purchase an addition keyfob, if you can get one for under $130, wise investment, it will cost you FAR more than this if you loose your only key or lock the key in the car.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1008294

I vote ignition switch, seeing more and more of these as an issue, probably need to start an Ignition switch PM thread as these will leave you stranded.

For the $60 or so the switch costs, not a bad ides to replace it after 10 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cut the key open. BUT car started after key was cut open so that is ruled out. I'm guessing it's going to be the ignition switch is not engaging going to take it apart and clean the contacts. Also with the starter out I will look at terminal C again to confirm it's getting or not getting the 12v as for another key.... I would like to not get one. But if that's my last hope I will. Going to let the car sit for a day. I don't feel like putting the starter back in -_-

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Here are just a few other examples of people that though they could cut their key open and not have issues. http://www.bmwgm5.com/kf_wos.htm

Just because it worked for a while does not mean it would continue to work!

Why did you cut the key open in the first place?

Time to order a new key IMHO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are just a few other examples of people that though they could cut their key open and not have issues. http://www.bmwgm5.com/kf_wos.htm

Just because it worked for a while does not mean it would continue to work!

Why did you cut the key open in the first place?

Time to order a new key IMHO.
The car was not starting at all. Key not cut open. Tried for an hour. Then cut the key open... The batt was moved around... ( then my key stated to work, pop trunk and would lock car...) also a side note I had changed my gm5 out with another one since I thought that was the problem the key was not working after reprogramming it.

Soo could it be the ignition switch?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will take a closer look at the key when I get home. Weird that it would work after being cut open tho...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Open up the key and double check that the little chip inside literally right next to the key when you put the plastic key cover on... If the chip isn't next to the key it won't turn on!! (I know that the chip is in the plastic cover, but it won't turn on if its not next to the key inside the plastic)... If the battery had been moved around then the chip most likely was moved from the location it's suppose to be in... Not sure it you have the same key? But I hope this pic helps you... This is my key... Electronics Technology Electronic device as you can see, my chip is at the top right corner inside! Your car will not turn on if its not in the same location!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts