E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not really. The car has a salvaged title and has been in an accident. The fuel tank needs to be replaced because of dirty build up? Looks like this car has been severally neglected and mistreated even if it only has 30k miles on it. The Fuel tank alone is going to be pricey to fix. The misfire won't be that big of a deal to fix and the brakes just need to be replaced. You can buy it because its cheap, but buy it knowing that you will need to spend money to fix it up and get it running. The scary part is now knowing what else is wrong with it. You'd probably end up spending the same amount of money for a car that is a little more than this one, but has less issue.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well first off you've got to know that replacing the gas tank is a PITA probably looking at a grand plus just for that.
Second I would probably want more info on the accident as well as maybe receipts for the repairs. Make sure all the parts that went in were not ****.
Then you'd need to have the car looked at, get codes read, get an opinion on whats wrong with the car.

If your budget for a car is ~10k+ then I might consider this car realizing that your guerenteed to be putting another 2-3k into it and perhaps as much as another 5-6k into it.
You also have to realize that by doing this your probably not increasing the value of the car. Its a salvage title so... your never going to get what you put in back out.

Personally if it was me, I would't touch this car. Yes you will probably get a good deal in terms of money but in terms of stress and time spent in the shop and all that... I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Nice car to look at but gas tank issue is something that I would worry about.
Its a lot to replace a gas tank.

If its SULEV(I am guessing because it is a california car) BMW can replace the gas tank (150k miles warranty on fuel delivery system) if you play your cards right.

But the salvage title would be a worry again if you plan to sell it quickly.

Misfire can be repaired, and brakes are just pads.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
headlights are halogen not HID. SO what else does the owner not know about the car?
"I spent a lot of money on this car". Spent it on what? It's stock looking. Did the owner mod and revert it to stock?
If he cleared the code, you won't be able to check to validate that it's ONLY a misfire. If he you can check the code, that would address the question.
CARFAX CARFAX CARFAX.
Dirt in the tank? Could the dirt have made its way into the injection system? Maybe causing the misfire? THis could get very expensive very quick (in addition to replacing/cleaning the tank).
Are you sure you want a 325 with an auto?

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Unless someone cut a hole in the gas tank and physically dumped a gallon of potting soil inside, there's absolutely no way a fuel tank can "get dirty" to the point where it would cause a problem. Somethings fishy about the owners assessment about their car from the gas tank thing down to spending "tons of money" on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm shopping for a used E46, less than 10K, for a weekend car. It seems like most of the cars around this price point have over 100k miles. Its good to know that there are plenty of "How to's" on this site that would help me maintain the car. I want to learn how to properly maintain my car before I move on to a late model 335.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm shopping for a used E46, less than 10K, for a weekend car. It seems like most of the cars around this price point have over 100k miles. Its good to know that there are plenty of "How to's" on this site that would help me maintain the car. I want to learn how to properly maintain my car before I move on to a late model 335.
Late model 335s are all forced induction, they aren't really comparable cars.

And I would take a car with 100k and a cleaner maintenance history over this any day of the week. Especially one with a manual.

If this is your "learner" car as you say, then this is doubly not the car for you as youll never be able to sell it b/c its salvage.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Late model 335s are all forced induction, they aren't really comparable cars.

And I would take a car with 100k and a cleaner maintenance history over this any day of the week. Especially one with a manual.

If this is your "learner" car as you say, then this is doubly not the car for you as youll never be able to sell it b/c its salvage.
All 335s are "forced induction" or turbo. :shhh:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Get a z3m or a z4 for the same amount of money for a weekend car. Much better value for money. A well maintained car with higher mileage is better than a low mileage neglected car in any given day.

335 is a beast compared to our puny 325s and working on e46 will never give you a head start to work on the 335. Totally different cars.

·
Registered
2020 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Platinum; 2019 Camry XSE; 2010 Infiniti G37S
1,217 Posts
Nice car to look at but gas tank issue is something that I would worry about.
Its a lot to replace a gas tank.

If its SULEV(I am guessing because it is a california car) BMW can replace the gas tank (150k miles warranty on fuel delivery system) if you play your cards right.

But the salvage title would be a worry again if you plan to sell it quickly.

Misfire can be repaired, and brakes are just pads.
Not a SULEV. SULEVs are only on facelift models and have the oil cap at the front of the VC.

It is dirt cheap though :lmao:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I always think CA cars are mostly SULEV. lol.
I need to take my SULEV in. Loud injector and I have issues filling it. Still under warranty though...at 74k miles ;) /threadjack

OP, pass on the car :rofl:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Worth the time and money

If you buy the 325ci with 30k on it only. It is worth the 4,000 investment. One you address the dirt in the gas tank. The misfire in the engine (just might be a simple bad coil). With the R Title in proper workin condition could be worth about 6,000. I have an X5, a 97 318i, and a 02. 325ci. 5 speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Belts squeezing at start up is tensener pulley, then change the belt and all the fluids. The shutting off could be an ignition module. The brakes really are not that hard to do you can get them cheaply on Bavarian auto

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
If you buy the 325ci with 30k on it only. It is worth the 4,000 investment. One you address the dirt in the gas tank. The misfire in the engine (just might be a simple bad coil). With the R Title in proper workin condition could be worth about 6,000. I have an X5, a 97 318i, and a 02. 325ci. 5 speed.
Belts squeezing at start up is tensener pulley, then change the belt and all the fluids. The shutting off could be an ignition module. The brakes really are not that hard to do you can get them cheaply on Bavarian auto
Is a 2001 on a salvage title worth the gamble of hoping its a coil pack? And then buying a car that has an occasional problem with turning off? And :wtf: would be the reason there's dirt in the gas tank? So sketchy :rofl: It's probably a Hurricane car.

And something is up with that engine bay. No engine bay is that spotless, not to mention glossy paint on the firewall. The bolts for the struts almost look painted over.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I don't think its worth a gamble. I'd rather go to Vegas and try my luck than to try my luck in that car.
The seller might be honest, but he doesn't know what more is wrong with the car. If it were just a coil pack and cleaning the tank, the seller should have done it already and sell the car for more.

The car is definitely clean but the seller must have got it professionally detailed the very same day looks like.
For 4000 you are better off buying a clean e36.

Is a 2001 on a salvage title worth the gamble of hoping its a coil pack? And then buying a car that has an occasional problem with turning off? And :wtf: would be the reason there's dirt in the gas tank? So sketchy :rofl: It's probably a Hurricane car.

And something is up with that engine bay. No engine bay is that spotless, not to mention glossy paint on the firewall. The bolts for the struts almost look painted over.
+1

I have the same car (01 325ci) with a lot more miles and paid almost double the amount last year. How can someone keep the car so clean and not fix the issues with it :hmm: ? My car is dirty inside out :( , but it runs well :4ngie:

I'm willing to bet that "low mileage" has actually been tampered with.
+1 on that too. If he dumped money on it then he should have driven it too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm willing to bet that "low mileage" has actually been tampered with.
That's what I was thinking. Aren't salvage title vehicles mileage exempt because there's no way to verify mileage on a rebuilt car. Dash could have been damaged in the driver side collission, and replaced with a zero (or this 30k mileage) unit pretty easily I'd think.
Carfax should tell the REAL story.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.