E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I’m brand new here. I got a 2000 323ic convertible…. Top not workin .red light flashing…. Tried to turn ignition key midpoint, hold for ten sec reset no change. press top open reset and I get motor function of recognizing the initial push of the button spinning function sound up top,but , when I switch to other button I get rear pump out back function sound.that it wants to start but no go. Think I possibly cracked one of those gears in the top when I was trying to manually open the latches that I had gotton stuck closed when manually closing because now the latches do not open /close at the same time.I tried to time. There out of sync .. Checked all 6 fuses on this and nothin blown.plenty of fluid in pump. This all started when I had a driver,rear window regulator fail that would not let me take the top down. Which was causing this issue in the first place I believe .. I can manually take the top down and all the windows function properly. Latches are not in sync. I somehow got the latches to turn into the lock position. All of this stuff I have been doin while top being disconnected and no tension on the cables from under rear seat … So I went ahead popped open part of the front (left and right side) to manually operate the latches and I got them to re-open… disconnected batt. Left alone for few hours. Re-connected and still get (red light flash) when doin this I read that these need to be in sync and close/open at the proper time. And there are certain hall sensors that are at fault for proper closure Upon possibly overtigjtening right side I heard a snap. Kind of like I hit a final point in tightening tightening one side. Left or right the latches do not both close at the same time… I got another set of gears on the way if if and when I tear that apart….. wanted to also mention that the car had sat in my driveway for about 10 mo..

is there any way I can get this thing to work without dropping off at the dealer? This is not my daily driver.Any insight would be much appreciated thanks
BIZZY

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
What happens when you turn the crank for the front edge? You're talking about the front edge gears, right? Some people say disconnect battery for a minute to reset if its closed manually completely

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happens when you turn the crank for the front edge? You're talking about the front edge gears, right? Some people say disconnect battery for a minute to reset if its closed manually completely
When manually TurnIng that small little Allen wrench to manually close the top one of my latches will close . This is when applying some weight to the top latch area..the right closes, the left opens.. so they’re not synchronized. Picked up some new gears on Amazon for the latches….. figured… if I’m takin it apart might as well replace.. Also this is w the slack taken out of the cables from under the rear seat..after releasing the gears of course….

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the motor and cables under the back seat have nothing to do with the front. They lock/unlock rear tonneau lid only. That said, lid needs to be locked for system to work.
Lid does lock manually only one side (right) pullin it down… Did not completely lock it for fear of breaking something so I just let it sit, also during this time I do have access to the trunk…. Last time I sat in the car I disconnected batt for over an hr.. upon gettn in I turned the key and held open Button for 12 sec. I can hear the latch motor moving but no movement w the latches…(front latches …. I can hear the front latch mechanism spinning.. also during that time I went ahead and just hit the close and I can hear the pump in the trunk initiate, so I know that’s workin…. Btw all 6 fuses on this circuit are good…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts