E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there so I have a small oil leak and was wondering if anyone can tell me we’re it’s coming from if someone could help me it would rock Thank you ! It’s right on the front of the transmission but I’m not shure if it’s a gasket or a loose bolt as it looks like there oil coming from the nut.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,566 Posts
That's migrating there from somewhere else, just happens to be the lowest point that it ends up dripping off of. Could be valve cover (usually accompanied by a burning smell), oil filter housing gasket, or the oil pan gasket itself. That's pretty much the order that the leaks occur in and if you haven't changed any of those gaskets the order in which you should plan on doing them very soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, check oil filter housing area, you will spot oil (if gasket is done) immediately
I just replaced that so I’m thinking it’s the valve cover gasket cuz I also see dried up oil on the side cuz there’s a spot that it catches the oil

·
Registered
‘99 328i Meergruen Metallic
166 Posts
I’m with Vick on the oil pan gasket, I know mines gone on my 99 328i and oil pools in the same spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m with Vick on the oil pan gasket, I know mines gone on my 99 328i and oil pools in the same spot.
well when I went to a Euro shop the technician said the valve cover gasket had a small leak not a pressurized leak so ima replace that and see from there because I do also see dried up oil near it

·
Registered
‘99 328i Meergruen Metallic
166 Posts
well when I went to a Euro shop the technician said the valve cover gasket had a small leak not a pressurized leak so ima replace that and see from there because I do also see dried up oil near it
Why’d you even ask then? lol

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,838 Posts
My '99 328i leaked from the rear main seal for many years. I was waiting for the original clutch to fail to fix it, but it only had 386k miles on it. :)

You can live with an oil leak in many cases, OP...just monitor oil level carefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts