E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for reading my post. So I've had my 2000 328ci for about 6 months now and I'm still relatively new to driving a manual transmission. So I wanted to ask some experienced BMW drivers who drive manuals at what RPM do you regularly Shift to get the best performance out of your car. As for me I usually go about 2.5k between shifts but I myself think that's kind of week.

Hope to get some good honest answers here soon. Thanks again fellow E46'ers!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
2.5-3.5k is good.

Also, you can start in 2nd gear sometimes from a stop. Works just fine, and then you are shifting less.

Also if you use 1,2,3 , skip 4th gear and go straight into 5. Better gas mileage + less gear wear.

·
Registered
304 Posts
drive with a variable foot :) some times push it, sometimes dont.. just remmeber our engines love the revs... it enjoys a good "blowout" now and then :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
2.5-3.5k is good.

Also, you can start in 2nd gear sometimes from a stop. Works just fine, and then you are shifting less.

Also if you use 1,2,3 , skip 4th gear and go straight into 5. Better gas mileage + less gear wear.
If you do that, make sure to at least "stick it in" 4th before you put it into 5th (you don't have to take your foot off the clutch), so the synchros aren't like whoaaah wrong gear!

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,983 Posts
Just don't slam it into any gear at all.

I'll shift out of 1st at 35 mph and out of 2nd at 6000 rpm coming out of tollbooths...but around town, if I don't need any torque, I might drop it into third going 20 mph...lots depends.

I tell my son who's just starting to drive a manual to drive without the radio and listen to the car...you don't need to be looking at the revs really at all...just listen to her...she'll tell you what she likes and doesn't like.

In a few years, you'll be like Clint Eastwood in that Firefox Russian fighter that allows you to just think commands and it does what you want. It's been so many years I've been in a manual, I don't know all I do anymore. Don't look for a specific rpm...there isn't one...it all depends on what you're planning on doing next with car...or what you anticipate you might need to do.

You do not want to go from third at 4000 rpm and then drop to 2nd without some braking in between or you'll get something breaking!

Doug

·
Registered
771 Posts

I'll shift out of 1st at 35 mph and out of 2nd at 6000 rpm coming out of tollbooths...but around town, if I don't need any torque, I might drop it into third going 20 mph...lots depends.

I tell my son who's just starting to drive a manual to drive without the radio and listen to the car...you don't need to be looking at the revs really at all...just listen to her...she'll tell you what she likes and doesn't like.

In a few years, you'll be like Clint Eastwood in that Firefox Russian fighter that allows you to just think commands and it does what you want. It's been so many years I've been in a manual, I don't know all I do anymore. Don't look for a specific rpm...there isn't one...it all depends on what you're planning on doing next with car...or what you anticipate you might need to do.

You do not want to go from third at 4000 rpm and then drop to 2nd without some braking in between or you'll get something breaking!

Doug

You should still be well under redline in 2nd if you were turning 4k in 3rd I think. 2nd goes up to almost 60mph

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,379 Posts
depends what you want by "best performance".
Dont take-off in second.
Understand if you shift before your engines torque curve you are missing it's powerband and thus missing out on it's performance.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
In sweden to get a drivers licence you need to know how to drive green.

That is start in 1st and go to 2nd after 1 carlength , then with up to 70% throttle acccelerate to 60km/h(35mph) and switch to 4th skipping 3rd.

I usualy shift at about 2,5k driving normally , when i get the "lead foot" i shift at about 5-6k.

Taking off in second gear unless you're moving is not recommended , not only are you using more fuel but your slipping the clutch a hellovalot.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ya...

..what Pir4t said.

Before long, you will be able to steer with your knee... no hands! and consume an entire Happy Meal, shifting without the clutch... both up and down, in rush hour traffic, without spilling a crumb!

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
..what Pir4t said.

Before long, you will be able to steer with your knee... no hands! and consume an entire Happy Meal, shifting without the clutch... both up and down, in rush hour traffic, without spilling a crumb!

I can steer with my knee and consume an entire chocolate chip muffin and a coffee while shifting while clutching both up and down, in rush hour morning and night traffic, without spilling a crumb and or drop of coffee... :D Hahah we have something in common!

·
Registered
165 Posts
^ i dont wanna be driving around yall then lol

im such a hypocrite. I do the samee thing. Today i devoured a double double and fries while driving with the knee LOL i was not in the e46 though hahah HD f-150 =p

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,983 Posts
You should still be well under redline in 2nd if you were turning 4k in 3rd I think. 2nd goes up to almost 60mph
But, not good to go from 4000K up to 6000K if you're not smooth about it...but I was just making up numbers a little. Although I'm often at 60+ in 2nd (think I could get to 70 mph actually)...I let my car's sounds tell me what she likes and doesn't like...and not many cases where I need to drop from 3rd to 2nd without rev matching...I have brakes and will condescend to use them occasionally!

·
Banned
7,363 Posts
But, not good to go from 4000K up to 6000K if you're not smooth about it...but I was just making up numbers a little. Although I'm often at 60+ in 2nd (think I could get to 70 mph actually)...I let my car's sounds tell me what she likes and doesn't like...and not many cases where I need to drop from 3rd to 2nd without rev matching...I have brakes and will condescend to use them occasionally!
2nd doesn't even make it to 60mph, rev limiter kicks in around 57...

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,983 Posts
2nd doesn't even make it to 60mph, rev limiter kicks in around 57...
Hmmm? I'll have to pay closer attention...we do have different cars, and perhaps ratios (I'm just assuming I have original diff, but maybe not).

Anyway...be nice to our nice car, and before trying to track it on public streets, be real good at shifting is what I'm saying. The 'slamming,' 'drifting,' 'donuts,' launching,' is not 'really' for our cars. They can take a lot, and a lot more than other cars stock, but it's a machine nonetheless. You would wash a load of bricks in your washer, or put engine parts in your dishwasher, or try to dry your baby in the dryer. You have a bmw, not a dune buggy, dragster, drifter, hummer, or cobra...

For those who think you have all these cars rolled into one...see you back here soon! :lmao:

·
Registered
252 Posts
2.5-3.5k is good.

I can feel from my clutch doing that (start from 2nd) its not very good.. maybe its because the car is very heavy.. 1700 KG! (1800 with me) (330 vert) .. I always start in 1st although I have sometimes done 2nd.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Doug
I totally agree... I think if you are to focused on the rev counter it can actually be more frustrating and difficult.. YOU HAVE TO be able to drive without looking once! Then suddenly, like riding a bicycle.. you never forget and it just seems natural!:thumbup: BUT yes.. listen to the engine.-.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts