BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been noticing that during the first drive of the day I tend to very very lightly grind 5th gear in my car, I live just off the freeway so Im always getting on the highway going and coming home. I wanted to check the fluid level before I do anything and wanted to know what type of oil to use in the gearbox, and also how many qts. I believe the BMW fluid is LT2, would like to see if and what everyone else uses over the counter?

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I change my transmission and differential every 60k using the exact same fluid. I use Mobil 1 75W-90 it has been working well for over ~327,000 miles. BTW I also drive a 00 E46 323i. Just my two and a half cents worth.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Good to know, do you recall how many qts to Flush n Fill ?
A little under two quarts for each, I believe it calls for 1.8 quarts, really easy DIY.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sweet!!! Looks like I will be doing a F&F this weekend! I shouldnt have to worry about random air bubbles or "bleeding" the system right..... Seems like alot of people have issues with random air bubbles when it comes to fluids

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Subn, I didnt know it was only 2 qts of fluid or I would of drain/filled mine alot sooner.
Mine also grinds slightly going gently into 5th...lets hope it lives a useful life! I'm at 129k miles on a 2000 323c

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah, for manuals it's only 2 quarts, it takes a ton more for automatics...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yeah, for manuals it's only 2 quarts, it takes a ton more for automatics...
Thanks!

Are you just using mobil 1 75w90 gear oil?

And do you use 4 qts total for a flush and fill? As in, drain, fill, drive a little, drain, and a final fill?

When you fill it how far do you fill it? Till it is level with the fill hole like most other manual trans?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
mmm it doesn't take that much for MT. Btw, I was told that mixing ATF helps smoother gear change in cold weather..

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Thanks!

And do you use 4 qts total for a flush and fill? As in, drain, fill, drive a little, drain, and a final fill?

When you fill it how far do you fill it? Till it is level with the fill hole like most other manual trans?

Thanks!
No need to drain and fill more than once and yes - flush with the fill hole. Get a hand pump to pump it in.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks!
I just pump until I start getting it coming out of the fill hole, that's when i know it's full. Really, really easy, the hardest part is removing the drain and fill plugs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
OP I have also been told to take the fill plug out first, because if you take the drain plug out and drain all the fluid and cannot get the fill plug out you are screwed.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
OP I have also been told to take the fill plug out first, because if you take the drain plug out and drain all the fluid and cannot get the fill plug out you are screwed.
+1021202 Always always always remove or check the method of filling up something before draining.

And thanks for the other tips guys. I'll probably do mine this weekend.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys, it looks like there are a couple others that are going to do this this weekend..... any chance anyone has some pics to post up in the thread for anyone else who might have questions?? I know its an easy DIY and wont take long just tryin to help anyone else who might wanna attempt this on their own ;)

Thanks Again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts