BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to be changing all my inside speakers....does any one who what size they are inside......from what i think they are (4) 5.25 inches all around, 2 in back 2 on front doors, and 4 tweeters, two in back and 2 on fornt doors......if i'm wrong someone please let me know....I'm getting JL Audio VR525CXI...does anyone have these?

·
Registered
274 Posts
2 - 5 1/4" woofers on the front doors.
2 - 6 1/2" woofers in the rear deck.
4 - tweets in the front and rear doors.

Careful just doing a swap of speakers keeping the factory amp. When I had a shop install my fronts, I asked them to not hook them up since the aftermarket speaker required more power than what the amp could put out. They did and one of the tweets blew because of it. It took a few days, but it still blew. You will need to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one or just run the risk of blowing your speakers (keeping them on the factory amp).

You will also need an install shop to build you some mounts for the speakers! They will not just screw in, unless your aftermarket speaker manufacturer makes a mount that fits. Chances are, they don't.

Personally after waiting for three months of this reputable install shop to do the work, I wound up doing it myself... cables and all. I got tired of hearing excuses and dealing with their mistakes. Funny thing was.. they work on Porsche, Lotus, etc...

It took a whole weekend, since I had no idea where anything went, but I did get it done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey man thankz alot....yea i am getting an aftermarket amp (JL Audio 300/4) is your car a coupe or sedan...b/c i looked in my car today and i have 4 5.25 and 4 tweeters and thats all i odnt have 6.25's?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a sedan.
Wow! I was not aware that the coupe had different sizes.
Sorry about that!

I guess everything else is the same though. Oh, I forgot to tell you, did you make sure that those woofers have enough depth clearence in the front doors? That was another issue I ran into with some other speakers.

·
Registered
651 Posts
With some custom fab you can put bigger speakers in front. I have the Boston Pro 6.53 Setup in my front doors. Sounds amazing.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nilt328I said:
2 - 5 1/4" woofers on the front doors.
2 - 6 1/2" woofers in the rear deck.
4 - tweets in the front and rear doors.

Careful just doing a swap of speakers keeping the factory amp. When I had a shop install my fronts, I asked them to not hook them up since the aftermarket speaker required more power than what the amp could put out. They did and one of the tweets blew because of it. It took a few days, but it still blew. You will need to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one or just run the risk of blowing your speakers (keeping them on the factory amp).
could it be that the amp was expecting an 8ohm load but you had 4ohm tweeters installed? :dunno: not sure if you had the hk system but i think the stock tweeters are 8ohms.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No, I did not have the HK. However, yeah, the tweets I had needed to be set to 4 Ohms, which is the reason why I did not want them hooked up to factory amp till they installed the aftermarket amp.

Smoltz, I tried the 6.53s but they would not fit without a lot of cutting and possible messing with the window pathway. So I had to go down to the 5.25" speakers. I'm still looking for someone to sell a set of spare/unwanted 6.53 crossovers so that I can hook up the 3-way in the fronts. :) However, I was just happy to have whole thing finished after being without music for 3 months. Let me tell you.. being in traffic sucked. I had to lower my windows so that I could hear someone else's stereo! How sad was that?? :)

Now that I think about it.. yeah the coupe has extra space for the front woofers. Lucky bastads. :)

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nilt,

I actually have a sedan. The car came with the 6.53's installed when I bought it, it was done by the previous owners. Maybe I'll pull of the door panel and take some pictures for you.

When I had my window reg's replaced (for the 3rd time I think) the guy who I had replace them said the speaker was *very* close so he actually made some new spacers before putting it all back together. No scratches on the window or clanking when they are down all the way.

Yeah, I cannot say enough positive about the 6.53's. I am running them with a 2 Boston Pro 10's of an Xtant 604x. The sound is very clean, with no signs of distortion as far as I have ever turned up the volume. The sound quality is phenomenal. They did some serious rewiring to get it all working right though.

Also, the crossover is set high enough that the front doors don't rattle or boom, unlike the factory HK system. My mother has the HK stereo in her 325ix, and I think it's pitiful.

Thanks,
Adam

·
• DFW •
2,722 Posts
you can also probably look at a crutchfield catalog and get a good idea of what fits and what doesnt. www.crutchfield.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts