BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow co-worker just got a 2000 323 sedan with SP. However, the car has the new-style steering wheel with the round center for the airbag rather than the old 99-00 SP 3 spoke wheel. How is this possible? To my understanding, the same 3 spoke SP wheel was used for 99-00. Is this an aftermarket wheel, or what is the deal?

·
Registered
834 Posts
i think it was anything after a nov/99 build date got to new wheel, not sure tho... i know how u feel, i wish i had the round air bag too

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
'00 june build 323s got the new steering. I think they also got the light steering too. They also don't have the useless cell phone antenna.

My girlfriend has a june build 323.

·
Europrojektz East
7,164 Posts
BMW328Ci said:
i think it was anything after a nov/99 build date got to new wheel, not sure tho... i know how u feel, i wish i had the round air bag too
Not true. My 2000 323i with sport package is a May/00 car and it has the older 3 spoke steering steering wheel.
So either BMW changed the steering wheel for year 2000 cars at some point after May 2000, or the former owner of the car retrofitted the newer steering wheel to his/her 323i.

·
Banned
2,186 Posts
Some late production 2000 E46s have the new wheel. B (our moderator) has a 2000 323Ci and it came with the new wheel.

Rich

·
Europrojektz East
7,164 Posts
Hans_ACS said:
yep, mine is from march 2000, also with old steering wheel ... unfortunately ...
Why do you say "unfortunately"? I have the old 3 spoke steering wheel. I like the looks of it - quite stylish in my opinion. I'm guessing it has a triangular air bag. Since I recently bought the AC Schnitzer black carbon fiber interior trim, I'm debating if I should get the same style 3 spoke steering wheel that AC Schnitzer sells which also has the same matching black carbon fiber on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts