E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what effect it would have on an M3 to put 39lbs wheels on the front and 40lbs wheels on the back, BEFORE adding tires.

Also, does anyone know what the weight is for the OEM 18s and 19s that come on the M3.

And, does anyone know if the 20 inch Breyton Spirits, which are 10.5 inches wide in the rear and 9.5 inches in the front require any fender modification, and whether the fronts will stick out past the fender?

Thanks,
Phil

·
Banned
3,759 Posts
thats fuking insane man. don't put those wheels on an M3. you most likely bought an M3 for its performance, dont put wheels on there to mess it up. it'll probably slow you car down a lot. 39lbs for the wheels plus like another 25lbs for the tires is just tooo much.

Get some nice forged 2-3 piece wheels. Most wiegh about 24lbs.

·
Registered
479 Posts
breyton's are sweet, but when i got them, i didn't really think they were for performance. like teknic said they aren't really done for m3's unless speed wasn't the real reason for buying an m.

·
Read Only
1,811 Posts
oem 18s are 25lbs front and 27 lbs rear, oem 19s are about 2 lbs heavier... but you'll feel the difference in your acceleration and mileage. If you don't care about performance, get the breytons, but if you do care, driving with those rims will add the equivilent of 378lbs+ of sprung weight, which will be like driving with an extra 2-3 people in the car all the time...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HOly Sh**

doubleloseven said:
oem 18s are 25lbs front and 27 lbs rear, oem 19s are about 2 lbs heavier... but you'll feel the difference in your acceleration and mileage. If you don't care about performance, get the breytons, but if you do care, driving with those rims will add the equivilent of 378lbs+ of sprung weight, which will be like driving with an extra 2-3 people in the car all the time...
Are you sure that's accurate, is there a formula -- if thats the case there is NO way in Hell i will put those on my car

Thanks for all the responses guys
-Phil

·
Read Only
1,811 Posts
FilippoM3 said:
Are you sure that's accurate, is there a formula -- if thats the case there is NO way in Hell i will put those on my car

Thanks for all the responses guys
-Phil
1 lbs of unsprung weight (weight not supported by the suspension, i.e. wheels or fly wheel) = 7lbs of sprung weight. So (2(39-25) + 2(40-27))7 = 378lbs for just the wheels, and you'd still have to account for the fact that 19 inch tires may be heavier than 18 inch ones as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.