E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello..i am kinda new to BMW's and i have a question about the DSC button on my 323ci 2000. I know when you push it in...the orange/yellow light comes on in the dash. I don't really understand the concept of it...when there's snow on the ground, do i want that light to be there or not be there...and the same question for when i'm doing regular driving.

Another question is for the music button right next to the DSC button....i don't konw exactly what this is...i know when it is on(green light is on) the HK sound system sounds better....so what exactly is this buttons function?

·
Registered
190 Posts
as i know...If you push the DSC button the DSC light on which menas DSC deactived, if you drive it on the snow the orange/yellow light on = DSC working... I will just let the light off ...

for question 2 u mean the speaker button? um...subwoofer? not sure... lol~~

correct me if wrong... lol~~

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
WhiteDagger said:
When the yellow indicator light is on, DCS is disabled (for the most part)...so driving in questionable conditions with the light on (DSC disabled) is not recommended.

Q#2, that is the HK speaker "enhancement" button. :thumbup:

Keep the "enhancement" button always on. Makes it sound much more clearer and open sounding!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok sweet..thanks guys...now for another question....how bad is this car in the snow...should i consider spending money on a beater or snows?
Can this thing be driven 60 miles a day in Rochester NY shitty ass weather?

·
Registered
158 Posts
re the HK speaker button:
What it actually does is create a "spatiale effect" or surround sound by messing around with parts of the stereo signal and putting it out of phase. With pre most pre 90's music this will sound better but some modern pop music is actually recorded with this technique to make music sound better on the radio, so it may sound weird with the HK turned on, because the effect will be working against itself.
Try it either way depending on what you are listening to.

re shipping steering wheels:
I am guessing they wont ship if you order it with an airbag because of the "explosive" element. Best to ring and check.

·
Registered
868 Posts
if you wanna know what to really do to have fun...
press and hold the DSC button until the BRAKE lights up in a green color......make sure you are very careful with this the car is completley uncensored :yikes:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Leave the DSC botton alone...

Almost fuc#ed up a loaner car doing that sh*t....

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
gmc8757 said:
ok sweet..thanks guys...now for another question....how bad is this car in the snow...should i consider spending money on a beater or snows?
Can this thing be driven 60 miles a day in Rochester NY shitty ass weather?

all BMW 3series are what i call light in the ass the non XIs are bad in the winter with OEM tires i highly recomend gettign snows bridgestone blizaks or michiline alpines.... im in CT and drive up to vermont for snowboarding all winter get a set of snows

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BMW330xi01 said:
all BMW 3series are what i call light in the ass the non XIs are bad in the winter with OEM tires i highly recomend gettign snows bridgestone blizaks or michiline alpines.... im in CT and drive up to vermont for snowboarding all winter get a set of snows

do you suggest putting bags of sand in the trunk to weigh it down some?
any idea how these tires are? Pirelli 16" 205/55 R16TL 19H

·
Registered
505 Posts
gmc8757 said:
do you suggest putting bags of sand in the trunk to weigh it down some?
any idea how these tires are? Pirelli 16" 205/55 R16TL 19H
With traction control, a pretty much 50/50 weight dist. and snow tires you will drive better than a lot of front wheel cars out there. Leave the sand on the ground.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Actually it is mentioned in the MANUAL that pushing the DSC button to turn it off partially can be beneficial in snow for traction. That way the tires will be allowed to spin to gain traction and speed rather than being interrupted by the computer.

See page 79 of your manual!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
gmc8757 said:
hello..i am kinda new to BMW's and i have a question about the DSC button on my 323ci 2000. I know when you push it in...the orange/yellow light comes on in the dash. I don't really understand the concept of it...when there's snow on the ground, do i want that light to be there or not be there...and the same question for when i'm doing regular driving.

Another question is for the music button right next to the DSC button....i don't konw exactly what this is...i know when it is on(green light is on) the HK sound system sounds better....so what exactly is this buttons function?
As said above if you push the buttons and the lights on the dash are permanenlty on - your system is disabled! When the system is active, the traction lite will flash when the system takes control ie if you spin wheels. Do youself a big favor and leave the system on. If your car has summer tires, you need snows or all season tires. If your car has all season tires, you be the judge on whether or not snow tires are needed. I run Dunlop M2 winter sports. They are as good or better than Alpins.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hummer said:
As said above if you push the buttons and the lights on the dash are permanenlty on - your system is disabled! When the system is active, the traction lite will flash when the system takes control ie if you spin wheels. Do youself a big favor and leave the system on. If your car has summer tires, you need snows or all season tires. If your car has all season tires, you be the judge on whether or not snow tires are needed. I run Dunlop M2 winter sports. They are as good or better than Alpins.

ok...it's just that i know someone here that i can get a set of 4 Pirelli 16" 205/55 R16TL 19H for real cheap..i know u do'nt want to be cheap with snow tires...but if they're not that bad and cheap....it sounds good...so my questionis....will these get me through the winter without crashes and ****??

·
Registered
385 Posts
What is he talking about?
I mean if you hold the DSC button? It turns off the tractions system???
Could you turn it back on? Can someone please explain that?

Also the audio qs, what button is that, do i have that in my 330xi?

·
Registered
646 Posts
the other night i was driving home and there was about an inch or more snow on my street which is pretty steep. i didnt turn off dsc becasue i didnt want to crash my car. so i got 2-3 houses away from my house and it was not letting my engine get in higher rpm's so i was losing momentium i turned it off so my tires could just spin and catch some asphalt under the snow. i barely made it up my street. so when you in the snow and you need to get more spped to make a steep climb turn it off. but dont do it on flat ground or you will spin out and hit something :woot:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
surferdude013 said:
the other night i was driving home and there was about an inch or more snow on my street which is pretty steep. i didnt turn off dsc becasue i didnt want to crash my car. so i got 2-3 houses away from my house and it was not letting my engine get in higher rpm's so i was losing momentium i turned it off so my tires could just spin and catch some asphalt under the snow. i barely made it up my street. so when you in the snow and you need to get more spped to make a steep climb turn it off. but dont do it on flat ground or you will spin out and hit something :woot:

ok....gotcha...thanks man

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok cool....thanks.....another question...what would you pay for a set of 4 steel rims....with Pirelli Wintersport 210 205/55 16" 91H which were used for 1 season and have 8 mm of tread left?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
kjslash330xi said:
What is he talking about?
I mean if you hold the DSC button? It turns off the tractions system???
Could you turn it back on? Can someone please explain that?

Also the audio qs, what button is that, do i have that in my 330xi?
Turn the engine off and they automatically reset so the system is ON. Does anyone READ the manual????????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts