E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) I went to turn on my car this morning and it wouldnt start. i heard the weirdest noises ever. I realized that there was a 3 foot wall of snow in front of it.. when i finally moved some of it, the car barely turned on.... i shut the car off after it was running for 35 minutes and turned it back on, it turned on fine but i still heard a slight choking noise....

2.) The bigger problem.
When i put my car into reverse (manual) it made the loudest grinding sound EVER.......... the car was freshly cold but it was only 35 degrees outside.. ive changed gears when it was in the 10's... this continued to happen over and over again until the car was at normal temperature.... i don't know what to do..

:banghead::banghead::cry:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump???/ nobody??

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it runs ok now i wouldn't worry about it. I had a similar problem about a month ago, i left the car parked for about a week in freezing temp and on the slope. When i started it i almost got a heart attack... it was loud and sounded like it was about to die on me... i warmed it up... took it for about 40 minute drive... turned off and back on and like nothing happened. Once the car warms up, restart it and it will reset all sensors and it should be fine. If not... i would go to a dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Its not a problem at all.
The reason for this is that BMW batteries have to control alot more electronical accessories than most other cars. Prolly all other cars. As well as the fact that they are 6 cylinder and require more spark to start combustion (engine turn over) That weird clicking sound u prolly heard was the starter. It wasnt getting any juice form the battery because it was frozen and could not send enough amps to the starter.

Problem 2.

The bearings on your clutch and gear assembly are cold, and when metal freezes it seizes up and sticks. The way this is solved is by holding down the clutch before u start driving and go thru the gears a few times to loosen them up. Drive for about 10 minutes and u will no longer notice these problems.

For all BMW's owners that have their car in below 40 degree temps should make a habit of starting their car at least once every 16 hours so the battery will be able to recharge.

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
I'll definately let you know if my car does that.....

as soon as it snows 2' in So Cal. :thumbup:

Edit:
Im sorry, That was mean of me. hope your car is oK

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
106 Posts
RE: 2 problems today.....

I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m so sorry to read about these problems with your 328i. If you need our assistance resolving them, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
Re: RE: 2 problems today.....

BMW NA Customer Relations said:
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m so sorry to read about these problems with your 328i. If you need our assistance resolving them, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

hahaha thats funny, I have had so many problems & have had emails like this one sent to me. BMWNA sucks & will not help you. They will tell you to check with your dealer! Try calling them, its pathetic!

If I was BMWNA, I would not post on this board, I would run & hide with my tail between my legs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts