BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to get towed, and my car was way too low for the flatbed, and the dolly wheels. (They ended up scratching the bottom of the Rieger front during their attempts) They could have got it on with boards, but then the Rieger rear would have scraped as the car angled to go up the ramp.

The only solution was to take off the rear, which suked at 11pm.

I went and bought some "H"-shaped spring seperators, that people use on pick-up trucks to get fake lift. The are a hard rubber like item. I jacked up the car and placed them between the springs and lowered the car. It gave me much more clearance as a short term solution. I wouldn't recommend leaving them for a long time, but just enough to get towed, or make it possible to get on the lift at some garages.

Now they stay in with my spare. It is much easier than taking off the bumpers.

Any other suggestions, besides coil-overs!
After trying this, the car went back to normal when I took them out so I have no worries.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
That is a really cool idea to carry those around incase you need a tow. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT - What are you asking about exactly? Even if you had coilovers what would you do? Adjust them on the spot? That sounds like more of a pain than the rubber blocks.

Tim

·
Registered
439 Posts
agaean325ci said:
I recently had to get towed, and my car was way too low for the flatbed, and the dolly wheels. (They ended up scratching the bottom of the Rieger front during their attempts) They could have got it on with boards, but then the Rieger rear would have scraped as the car angled to go up the ramp.

The only solution was to take off the rear, which suked at 11pm.

I went and bought some "H"-shaped spring seperators, that people use on pick-up trucks to get fake lift. The are a hard rubber like item. I jacked up the car and placed them between the springs and lowered the car. It gave me much more clearance as a short term solution. I wouldn't recommend leaving them for a long time, but just enough to get towed, or make it possible to get on the lift at some garages.

Now they stay in with my spare. It is much easier than taking off the bumpers.

Any other suggestions, besides coil-overs!
After trying this, the car went back to normal when I took them out so I have no worries.
I'm not understanding what you are talking about? Can you please post a pic and/or a link. This is something I need to invest in as well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
just think of it as sticking a block of rubber in between a couple of coils of ur spring. so when you lower the car the block prevents the spring from compressing giving u more clearence.

·
Registered
985 Posts
yes, I need one of those things. Do you have a pic.? where do I get one? I have a Rieger also.:)

Thanks

Tas

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get them at most auto stores. They are "H" Shaped hard rubber that are placed between the springs. They are spring seperators and used to put fake lift on pick-ups. I can try and post a pick later if still necessary.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
What were you trying to figure out from this thread? Did you get your question answered?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tim330i said:
What were you trying to figure out from this thread? Did you get your question answered?
I wasn't trying to fiqure anything out. I was sending a suggestion out to people with really low cars.

After putting up with getting the bumper re-painted twice, just wanted to share the info. Most people understood what I was talking about, but the suitors have no clue what I was talking about.

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,542 Posts
Thanks for sharing, that is great idea but I will still have problems.

I Have Mutec front 3" off the ground
Rieger sides 2.5" off the ground
Rieger GTR rear 3.5" off the ground

I can't even put the jack under the sides to get those rubber spacers in :sad:

I will have to think of something else.

·
Registered
405 Posts
im on hamann add on. i cant jack my car up. everytime i wanan get it on a lift or nethign i have to take off the sideskirts.

·
devGOD
2,532 Posts
hmm i wonder if i'll have that problem. oh will when the time comes i'll let the towing service figure it out. a lot of cars are naturally low to the ground and get towed. maybe that towing service or guy didn't know what to do.

first time this post has came up here, would think more people would talk about it being that members drop there cars a lot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
devGOD said:
hmm i wonder if i'll have that problem. oh will when the time comes i'll let the towing service figure it out. a lot of cars are naturally low to the ground and get towed. maybe that towing service or guy didn't know what to do.
I hoped they would have figured it out but they didn't. They really didn't care about my car, and basically said, "Well, if your car wasn't so low!" They kept wanting me to sign a release statement for damage, but I wouldn't, which was great on my part.

It's been about 2 months that i've been back and forth with Roadside Asststance, and finally they agreed to pay, because it was ultimately the towing company's fault.

I still got to take off one side, but it's much easier than a bumper.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
sounds like i good idea

i think i am going to look where i can get them.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts