E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 minor issues with my M3 that are driving me crazy, and I'm hoping that somebody will have some advice.

Issue number 1. My "check gas cap" light went on about a week ago. I replaced the cap with a new one (purchased at the BMW dealer), and had the code cleared. About 2 to 3 hours later, the light came back on. I checked the cap, and it is fully closed and undamaged. What else, besides an improperly sealing gas cap, can cause this light to illuminate?

Issue number 2: The proximity sensors in the back bumper are not supposed to operate unless the car is in reverse. Up until about a week ago, this was the case. Starting last weekend, the proximity sensors will sound the warning beeps anytime the car is in gear (any gear) if a car comes within the set proximity for warning. This means that if I am at a traffic light (normally in neutral), and a car stops within a couple of feet of my rear bumper, the warning beeps will begin to sound when I put the car in first gear. They do cease chiming once I pull away from the car behind me. What is the deal here?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update: Problem number one resolved itself yesterday, when the "check gas cap light" went out, only to be replaced by the "service engine soon" light. This is good news, since the latter light triggers codes that can be read. I'm guessing that it is either a canister issue or an O2 sensor. We'll see.

Problem number 2 seems to be connected to a problem in the reverse lamp switch. The proximity sensor is operating whenever the car is in gear because the backup lights are illuminating whenever the car is in gear (either reverse or any forward gear). I'll have this resolved soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts